Some photos from yesterday's Combat Focus & Advanced Pistol Tecnique with Rob Pincus

G

GOAL C.M.

What a great day at the range, very hot, some great new drills, tons of live fire.

If you have never taken a class with Rob we highly recommend it!

2768250850106225718S500x500Q85.jpg

Here's a link to the entire slideshow of pix.

Here's a quick wrap up video we shot on day 3.

GOAL staffer Jon Green with Rob Pincus.

GOAL Video news is a new weekly segment that you can catch here every week

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great time too. I fired 1396 rounds.

Rob is a great instructor and those three days of class have given me plenty of great training techniques that should help me to keep developing my skills for years to come.

Why is this guy covering his face while trying to acquire his target?

[Disclaimer]:
I did not attend this class but I did attend a sampler version a couple of weeks ago. I'm not promoting or defending Rob Pincus's training techniques. I do not wish to engage in a pissing match with P2A over trainers or their techniques.
[/Disclaimer]

Rob was training us to respond from the bodies natural startle response position. He had us start from the position of hands up protecting the head and then drawing the gun. He had us leave the weak hand up and meet the strong hand in a natural way. Personally I'm so trained to have my support/weak hand on my chest while getting a grip on the gun that I found the exercise unnatural and awkward.

Why is this guy covering his face while trying to acquire his target?

[Disclaimer]:
I did not attend this class but I did attend a sampler version a couple of weeks ago. I'm not promoting or defending Rob Pincus's training techniques. I do not wish to engage in a pissing match with P2A over trainers or their techniques.
[/Disclaimer]

Rob was training us to respond from the bodies natural startle response position. He had us start from the position of hands up protecting the head and then drawing the gun. He had us leave the weak hand up and meet the strong hand in a natural way. Personally I'm so trained to have my support/weak hand on my chest while getting a grip on the gun that I found the exercise unnatural and awkward.

That's more or less it. But my impression after taking the class was that incorporating your startle response into your training is to essentially train how you'll fight and you don't need to keep your hands in front of your face after initially bringing them up. During a draw, your hands should meet close to the chest before you extend.

That's more or less it. But my impression after taking the class was that incorporating your startle response into your training is to essentially train how you'll fight and you don't need to keep your hands in front of your face after initially bringing them up. During a draw, your hands should meet close to the chest before you extend.

Its not training how you fight, its training bad muscle memory. You cant train for startle nor should try. If you train your body to put your arm up, blocking your line of sight, then practice it that is what your body WILL do. Its not the boogy man, its someone that wants to kill you covering your eyes wont make them go away. If you practice your draw, correctly with hundreds of repetitions, that will become muscle memory. Then that will become your "Startle response". Everyone do me a favor, and NEVER practice this. This concept is just asinine. Train on your draw, have your working hand vicinity of your chest (not your eyes) so if you have to go hands on its there, and ready to receive your gun. That will create muscle memory, muscle memory is what your body will do.

Also, when the gun comes out of the holster you should have your grip. In the pic with HairMAn, if he had to shoot as soon as the gun came out he coudnt, as soon as the gun is out of the holster it needs to be ready to go, you may have to fight at 1ft, or 15 ft but you need to be ready for both.

Also, when the gun comes out of the holster you should have your grip...as soon as the gun is out of the holster it needs to be ready to go, you may have to fight at 1ft, or 15 ft but you need to be ready for both.

This is why I hacked that stupid sweat guard or body shield, whatever they call it off of my Crossbreed Supertuck, I could only draw with a partial grip on the gun when that thing was on.

P2A, if you taught a tactical pistol class I'd take it. I'm not being facetious when I say that either. Come home safe from the sandbox, pick a date, and I'll do my very best to show up.

This is why I hacked that stupid sweat guard or body shield, whatever they call it off of my Crossbreed Supertuck, I could only draw with a partial grip on the gun when that thing was on.

P2A, if you taught a tactical pistol class I'd take it. I'm not being facetious when I say that either. Come home safe from the sandbox, pick a date, and I'll do my very best to show up.

Thanks dude. Derek and I have talked about it. The big issue is making an LLC, getting bonded and the insurance, then lining on ranges, classes etc. I just dont have the time. Im only in the states 3 months out of the year. However I really HATE seeing bad techniques taught to guys that want to learn how to protect themselves. Techniques like the "cover your eyes" when the bad man is coming that we just addressed. But allot of the training community out there just sucks. Its a business yes, however too much of it is about taking people's money regardless of the qualifications and experience of the instructor. Which in turn creates a poor, theory based product for the student.

By the way, dude in the back T-shirt, white pants. When your shooting on your side like that, kick your legs out straight then scissored, top leg toward the target, bottom behind you. It will even out your weight and make you ALLOT more stable, other wise all your weight is centered and for lack of a better word top heavy. It will help with recoil management. Your instructor should of corrected that.

Its not training how you fight, its training bad muscle memory. You cant train for startle nor should try. If you train your body to put your arm up, blocking your line of sight, then practice it that is what your body WILL do. Its not the boogy man, its someone that wants to kill you covering your eyes wont make them go away. If you practice your draw, correctly with hundreds of repetitions, that will become muscle memory. Then that will become your "Startle response". Everyone do me a favor, and NEVER practice this. This concept is just asinine. Train on your draw, have your working hand vicinity of your chest (not your eyes) so if you have to go hands on its there, and ready to receive your gun. That will create muscle memory, muscle memory is what your body will do.

Also, when the gun comes out of the holster you should have your grip. In the pic with HairMAn, if he had to shoot as soon as the gun came out he coudnt, as soon as the gun is out of the holster it needs to be ready to go, you may have to fight at 1ft, or 15 ft but you need to be ready for both.

This post and the one above made it worth logging in today. Thank you.

When your shooting on your side like that, kick your legs out straight then scissored, top leg toward the target, bottom behind you. It will even out your weight and make you ALLOT more stable, other wise all your weight is centered and for lack of a better word top heavy. It will help with recoil management.

I just tried that on the floor and you're right, it works...good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom