Some OLDIES for your enjoyment

Mrs. Mongoose's great great grandfather was sheriff of Bangor Maine in the late 1800s.
There has been a box of revolvers in the family that family history says were guns he had confiscated ,along with one that was his service revolver.
Ive had them stashed away for years now and dug them out while back.
Decided to take some photos.
Dont know much about them all. Some are in rough shape finish wise but most are operable. Interesting nonetheless.
Just figured you all would enjoy seeing them.
Sorry, my camera is junk. Best I can do at the moment.

The first three here are from top to bottom:
American Bull Dog. Looks to be a rimfire at about .32, no dates.
Second is an Iver Johnson from Fitchburg. Earliest patent date on it is 1886. Looks to be .32 rimfire also.
Bottom is a Lee Arms Red Jacket No. 4. No dates, looks to be .32 rimfire like the others.
oldies002ow9.jpg

Next group, top to bottom.
Red Jacket No.1, NY, Pat, Mar.26 1871 . Looks like .22 short.
Middle is a Robbin Hood #3, Pat.Feb.26, 1878. .22 short.
Bottom is a CZAR,pat.May 20th 1871 looks like .22 long.
The top two are small. palm sized revolvers.

oldies003yg8.jpg

Next is what was supposedly his service arm.
A Merwin Hulbert & Co. revolver. Earliest Pat. date on it is April 17 1877.
This revolver says .38 cal. on it. Rimfire?
This one is the best of the bunch. Almost perfect condition. It has a really smooth feel to the cylinder,trigger etc. The fitting of parts is amazing.The spur on the hammer even folds down for smooth double action carry.

This revolver has a crazy twist action to it.

A website says "The Merwin design is unique and required extremely precise machining and hand fitting. The twist open design allows for selective, simultaneous ejection of empty cases while leaving loaded rounds in the cylinder. To open a Merwin Hulbert, the gun is held in the right hand with fingers of left hand wrapping around top of the barrel,. The left thumb pushes the button on the front bottom of the frame backwards towards the trigger guard. The barrel is then twisted towards the left, (which would be clockwise as viewed from the rear of the gun) and pulled forward. This allows ejection of empties. If disassembly is desired at this point, the button on left side of barrel is pushed in and barrel and cylinder slide forward off of the frame.

One feature unique to Merwin design and evidence of the remarkable machining, which is highly prized by collectors, is "suction." On particularly nice examples of Merwins you will find that when you have gun open and barrel pulled forward, if you release the barrel, the barrel and cylinder will pull backwards towards frame as if spring loaded. No springs are involved; it is simply that the close machining of the parts creates a suction which tends to pull the gun back together.

Cool, Huh? This gun actually does have that "suction' they talk about.
Clint Eastwood uses a Merwin Hulbert in one of his spaghetti westerns.
This also has a rubberized holster that says, as best as I can tell,
"Jim Page's Pocket Pistol case. Pat. Apr.23,1878.

oldies005uh0.jpg

Next is a S&W revolver. Looks to be about .38 cal. I have no idea what model it is. Maybe one of you guys know. It is covered with dates. Relevant date looks like it would be Dec. 18 1877.
This is a nice piece, Nice hefty feel for a small revolver.
this gun is the only one with a serial number, # 53999.
This has a thin leather holster with no markings.
oldies008nl2.jpg

Last but not least. An L. Remington & Sons Derringer.
Looks to be .44 cal, (rimfire ?) or thereabouts and has a Patent date of Dec. 12th, 1865.
oldies009gw4.jpg

Phewwww, that was some work...
Thanks for looking!
I know some of these are basically worthless but Id be interested in any info. any of you can provide.

Mrs. Mongoose's great great grandfather was sheriff of Bangor Maine in the late 1800s.
There has been a box of revolvers in the family that family history says were guns he had confiscated ,along with one that was his service revolver.
Ive had them stashed away for years now and dug them out while back.
Decided to take some photos.
Dont know much about them all. Some are in rough shape finish wise but most are operable. Interesting nonetheless.
Just figured you all would enjoy seeing them.
Sorry, my camera is junk. Best I can do at the moment.

Next is a S&W revolver. Looks to be about .38 cal. I have no idea what model it is. Maybe one of you guys know. It is covered with dates. Relevant date looks like it would be Dec. 18 1877.
This is a nice piece, Nice hefty feel for a small revolver.
this gun is the only one with a serial number, # 53999.
This has a thin leather holster with no markings.
oldies008nl2.jpg

I know some of these are basically worthless but Id be interested in any info. any of you can provide.

This looks to be (possibly) a .38 Single Action, 1st Model (a.k.a. "Baby Russion") from pictures in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. From the serial number it probably dates to the mid 1880's. I'll have to read some more when I get back home to confirm this.

Back
Top Bottom