So with everything that has happened in Japan

One thing I didn't anticipate was radioactive contamination of the drinking water from another region. For example, a nuke has an incident in Ohio and fallout hits the Quabbin.

Because Seabrook and Plymouth aren't that close I didn't think that was much of a concern.

Garand,

That was my point about not relying on bleach/shock to clean your water. It's been 2 weeks and the wind has been blowing fairly consistantly east, yet the water 140 miles south, south west of the plant is showing elevated radiation levels.

Wont a filter intended to catch giardia and bacteria take radioactive particles out?

Doubt it.
It won't catch anything that is dissolved in the water.
To get that, you need to use a reverse osmosis filtration system and a power supply to run it.

One thing I didn't anticipate was radioactive contamination of the drinking water from another region. For example, a nuke has an incident in Ohio and fallout hits the Quabbin.

Because Seabrook and Plymouth aren't that close I didn't think that was much of a concern.

Nuke plant(s) getting flushed is one thing I didn't think about several years ago when there was talk about a potential Atlantic mega tsunami. They simulated La Palma island collapsing. It predicted a 150 foot tall mega tsunami. That kind of thing would not only wipe out pilgrim, but probably reach far enough inland to flush all of their prepositoned emergency supplies.

Doubt it.
It won't catch anything that is dissolved in the water.
To get that, you need to use a reverse osmosis filtration system and a power supply to run it.

I pretty sure that the bulk of the radioactivity is Cesium particulates, not stuff thats disolved. This abstract gives some credence to that: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15923068

If thats the case, then you just need the right particulate filter. Although then the problem is that as the filter collects particulates, it will become a source of radioactivity itself.

Don

Back
Top Bottom