So when's the next Rifle match at Harvard?

Hanwei

NES Member
I'm kicking myself for not making it to the the Oct 10 match. Anyone know when the next one is? [smile]

I wish I could go to that one... but I'm not going to be getting back into town from FL until that evening. DANGIT.

This looks great; still not sure if I can make it, though.

Shooting the Oct. 10 match was my first rifle match, but it was incredibly fun (and doing OK makes it even better). I'm totally hooked.
At Harvard, probably not until next autumn based on the last several years.
I'm wondering if there's enough interest among Harvard members to put on an IDPA Multi-Gun (maybe rifle only) match, or similar, sooner than this time next year.

I'm wondering if there's enough interest among Harvard members to put on an IDPA Multi-Gun (maybe rifle only) match, or similar, sooner than this time next year.

IDPA multigun? YAWN!!!! No thank you. No more than 10 round strings on shotgun, no more than 18 with a rifle?

IDPA multigun? YAWN!!!! No thank you. No more than 10 round strings on shotgun, no more than 18 with a rifle?

I'm not wild about some of the rules, but am generally unfamiliar with different rifle match rule sets, other than USPSA Rifle, which seems pretty complicated to do frequently.

What's complicated?

Course construction, equipment rules and scoring? The rulebook is three times as long as the IDPA DMG one. I didn't mean to turn this into yet another USPSA vs IDPA thread [grin].

Lower round counts can be annoying, but people might actually be able to afford to shoot more often if it's faster, shorter stages and part rifle and part pistol. This could also probably be done with a 'club' ruleset?

Really, the big issue probably isn't shooters, but MDs, SOs, and people willing to help out. I don't know if there's large interest from either the HSC USPSA guys or the MWT guys.

Course construction, equipment rules and scoring? The rulebook is three times as long as the IDPA DMG one. I didn't mean to turn this into yet another USPSA vs IDPA thread [grin].

Lower round counts can be annoying, but people might actually be able to afford to shoot more often if it's faster, shorter stages and part rifle and part pistol. This could also probably be done with a 'club' ruleset?

Really, the big issue probably isn't shooters, but MDs, SOs, and people willing to help out. I don't know if there's large interest from either the HSC USPSA guys or the MWT guys.

Driving to a match, match fees, hotel fees, etc, will easily run more than ammo costs. Plus who wants to get up early, stand around most of the day only to shoot a couple of rounds. I went to the match to shoot, I want to shoot as much as I possibly can, as fast as I can.

Why do the USPSA guys always feel the need to constantly trash the IDPA sport? If you don't care about it, just ignore the posts... it really is getting long in the tooth. As 9x21 would say... ahh never mind.

The USPSA Multigun rulebook is 31 pages, the pistol rulebook is far larger. It addresses more issues than IDPA. It eliminates subjective penalties.
If there is a "Club Rule Set" it's not IDPA, not USPSA....it's a non sanctioned match, popularly known as an Outlaw match. The Outlaw matches are far more popular than USPSA matches. Often its because it has More shooting, not less.
Even with the Outlaw matches equipment rules are almost identical. Scoring does vary with them, but, I don't do the stats.
Shooting is not a cheap game, multigun is more expensive. Multigun has a very devoted group of follower. Like many things in life, it's all about choices.

Why do the USPSA guys always feel the need to constantly trash the IDPA sport? If you don't care about it, just ignore the posts... it really is getting long in the tooth. As 9x21 would say... ahh never mind.

I do it specifically to annoy you. The glock thing also. Now if I could just work in the revolver for the perfect trifecta..... give me time

The USPSA Multigun rulebook is 31 pages, the pistol rulebook is far larger. It addresses more issues than IDPA. It eliminates subjective penalties.
If there is a "Club Rule Set" it's not IDPA, not USPSA....it's a non sanctioned match, popularly known as an Outlaw match. The Outlaw matches are far more popular than USPSA matches. Often its because it has More shooting, not less.
Even with the Outlaw matches equipment rules are almost identical. Scoring does vary with them, but, I don't do the stats.
Shooting is not a cheap game, multigun is more expensive. Multigun has a very devoted group of follower. Like many things in life, it's all about choices.

I really like IMGA scoring, 2 unaimed shots at a target, its just like how I shoot uspsa now, but without the penalties.

I guess it's not much different than the "You HAVE to have an OPEN GUN to shoot that USPSA game" "IDPA is REAL LIFE, not like USPSA".
I like to shoot....lots of rounds. Courses that have severely limited round count is very little fun for me. Come on Dave 28 round max for a stage with 3 guns? Hell, that's a good shotgun round count. I'll let you know the max round count on a single stage at the Topton match.

Fair enough.

I guess I've just noticed that I've seen alot of calls for people that want to shoot multi-gun or similar matches at Harvard, but this never seems to go anywhere. I don't know why that is, but I think that may be because of the cost of serious multi-gun shooting, and the resulting lack of people willing to regularly MD and SO such events. If that can be fixed by having not-so-serious multigun shooting, I think that might be something to try.

Driving to a match, match fees, hotel fees, etc, will easily run more than ammo costs.

Not that I disagree, but there hasn't been alot of success getting people to organize these sort of big matches as Harvard, other than the (tons of fun) OCT 10 match. If there's room for organizing the sort of match that people won't drive so far and stay in a hotel for, like an IDPA Club match or the weekly USPSA club matches, that might be something worth investigating, IDPA, USPSA, or Outlaw.

Not that I disagree, but there hasn't been alot of success getting people to organize these sort of big matches as Harvard, other than the (tons of fun) OCT 10 match. If there's room for organizing the sort of match that people won't drive so far and stay in a hotel for, like an IDPA Club match or the weekly USPSA club matches, that might be something worth investigating, IDPA, USPSA, or Outlaw.

There hasn't been a lot of success because everyone wants a match, few will put the effort into running one. And when there is a match, The core people that do show up/run don't want it dumbed down.

There is always the excuse that I don't have the proper equipment. But there are plenty of guys that are willing to share equipment or have an extra shotgun or rifle for people to try.

Honestly, if you want multi gun matches, find a range that will allow it and start a match.

If you want to do it, you need to put the effort in. Either go to a match or bring one to you

I guess it's not much different than the "You HAVE to have an OPEN GUN to shoot that USPSA game" "IDPA is REAL LIFE, not like USPSA".
I like to shoot....lots of rounds. Courses that have severely limited round count is very little fun for me. Come on Dave 28 round max for a stage with 3 guns? Hell, that's a good shotgun round count. I'll let you know the max round count on a single stage at the Topton match.

You have never heard me say anything about IDPA being "REAL LIFE" and I have NEVER told ANYONE you need an Open gun to shoot USPSA... and most of the IDPA regulars never say that either. "Maybe" IDPA is more like defensive shooting that USPSA but it's just another game with different rules. Period.

As far as what you and Mike like. That's great to know... but I've heard it a million gazillion times. I love great looking women more than shooting but I don't post it every second I get. [rolleyes]

I do it specifically to annoy you. The glock thing also. Now if I could just work in the revolver for the perfect trifecta..... give me time

I miss you too Mike. Somethings never get old but some new material would certainly help break up the monotony. [laugh]

Fair enough.

I guess I've just noticed that I've seen alot of calls for people that want to shoot multi-gun or similar matches at Harvard, but this never seems to go anywhere. I don't know why that is, but I think that may be because of the cost of serious multi-gun shooting, and the resulting lack of people willing to regularly MD and SO such events. If that can be fixed by having not-so-serious multigun shooting, I think that might be something to try.

Dan Hurley has said that Harvard ran a 3 gun match and the Area 7 3 gun match. I shot both of those. He also said, that shooters tended to prefer a rifle or shotgun match over the added equipment and preparation of multiple guns.

Back
Top Bottom