SO what will happen if I put some tracers in my lead pot?

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I was taking apart a bunch of rounds from our clubs dud box and there are some tracer rounds I took apart. It got me thinking, what if I missed one because the paint was gone? What if I missed a bunch? What if I missed and incendiary tracer?

Oh noes!! OMG!!

tenor.gif

I can tell you a few primers in the smelting pot is interesting. I dont hang out near my pot much so when it went I was several feet away. Not much worse than a good burst from trapped moister.
Wear your safety gear and dont hover around your pot to much.

so now in the name of science and knowing you have to smelt some lead knowing you have a burning bullet in there!

Tracers in military ammo are lit directly by the powder. This is why if you reload tracers they only work with charges near the top end.

so now in the name of science and knowing you have to smelt some lead knowing you have a burning bullet in there!

For sure we just need to rustle up a couple of additional members for this scientific experiment. I minimum of two should do it so we can have soemone to hold the beer and another to film the event for posterity.

Its the only way to know for sure.[smile]

Bob

I can tell you a few primers in the smelting pot is interesting. I dont hang out near my pot much so when it went I was several feet away. Not much worse than a good burst from trapped moister.
Wear your safety gear and dont hover around your pot to much.

How did you get primers in the pot?

I believe WWII era tracers are filled with different colored phosperous compounds which are ignited by the powder charge...I dont know if they use the same compounds these days.....

How did you get primers in the pot?
Box of random scrap lead someone gave me.
I sorted through that box several times and when i dumped it into the smelting pot i seen 2-3 primers "plinko" there way through the random scraps.
I just stepped back and let things happen. Again was no worse than some trapped water in a bullet jacket or hollow point.

Being that lead is so dense I'd bet a live round would ruin the pot.
But live rounds that are not chambered wont even go through cardboard.

I think it would be interesring to see if it floats. My guess is the casing would float but the bullet would sink, so it would float pointing down, with the primer pointing up, assuming the case has enough volume to keep it floating.

The lead would offer some resistance, bit I dont think it would be that much.

Someone needs to try this now. @Michael J. Spangler I know you want to try it. :)

Someone contact the slowmo guys in YouTube and give them the idea.

I think it would be interesring to see if it floats. My guess is the casing would float but the bullet would sink, so it would float pointing down, with the primer pointing up, assuming the case has enough volume to keep it floating.

Someone needs to try this now. @Michael J. Spangler I know you want to try it. :)

It's you story, you need to write the ending.

I think because of the denseness of the lead it will act like a plugged barrel until the pressure forces the molten lead out of the pot.

Hold my beer.

It's you story, you need to write the ending.

I think because of the denseness of the lead it will act like a plugged barrel until the pressure forces the molten lead out of the pot.
This is if it were under the surface but I think it would float and be pretty boring. I guess someone needs to try this. Maybe this weekend I could try it with a 22.

Hold my beer.

This is if it were under the surface but I think it would float and be pretty boring. I guess someone needs to try this. Maybe this weekend I could try it with a 22.

If you drop it in with a couple handfuls of other bullets they would hold it down.

The same with a .22. it would sit on top so you would need to force it down.

Hold my beer.

You could put a bullet in a spent casing. Replace the weight of powder with some sand. That would be harmless.

I am still waiting for the youtube video of what happens when you suck up a bunch of primers with an upright vacuum cleaner. [rofl]

-Mike
i dropped a few trays of primers behind my bench/oil tank , i decided to just vacuum them up along with a few years worth of spilt powder. i considered filming it but figured it would be uneventful.

i dropped a few trays of primers behind my bench/oil tank , i decided to just vacuum them up along with a few years worth of spilt powder. i considered filming it but figured it would be uneventful.

I think with a shop vac not much would happen, but with an upright with the beater bar where things typically get stuck and flail around in there several times before getting sucked up, the odds of an explosion from impact are somewhat higher lmao...

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom