So now Civil War Reenactments are a Target of the = confederate-object-haters .....

Since when did Pope blessed crusades into Northern Europe? There was conquests going on in Baltics, Livonian order, but that was over control of land. References?

As per Wiki:

The Northern Crusades or Baltic Crusades were religious wars undertaken by Catholic Christian military orders and kingdoms, primarily against the pagan Baltic, Finnic and Western Slavic peoples around the southern and eastern shores of the Baltic Sea, and to a lesser extent also against Orthodox Christian Slavs (East Slavs). The crusades took place mostly in the 12th and 13th centuries and resulted in the subjugation and forced baptism of indigenous peoples.

The official starting point for the Northern Crusades was Pope Celestine III's call in 1195, but the Catholic kingdoms of Scandinavia, Poland and the Holy Roman Empire had begun moving to subjugate their pagan neighbors even earlier. The non-Christian people who were objects of the campaigns at various dates included:

the Polabian Wends, Sorbs, and Obotrites between the Elbe and Oder rivers (by the Saxons, Danes, and Poles, beginning with the Wendish Crusade in 1147)
the Finns proper in 1150s in controversial First Crusade by the Swedes; by the Danes in 1191 and 1202; Tavastia in 1249 in Second Crusade by the Swedes; and Karelia in 1293 in the Third Crusade by the Swedes; Christianization in these areas had started earlier,
Livonians, Latgallians, Selonians, and Estonians (by the Germans and Danes, 1193–1227),
Semigallians and Curonians (1219–1290),
Old Prussians,
Lithuanians and Samogitians (by the Germans, unsuccessfully, 1236–1316).

Sources:

Christiansen, Erik (1997). The Northern Crusades. London: Penguin Books. p. 287. ISBN 0-14-026653-4.

Hunyadi, Zsolt; József Laszlovszky (2001). The Crusades and the Military Orders: Expanding the Frontiers of Medieval Latin Christianity. Budapest: Central European University Press. p. 606. ISBN 963-9241-42-3.

Christopher Tyerman, God's War: A New History of the Crusades, (University of Harvard Press, 2006), 488.

Von Güttner-Sporzyński, Darius. "Poland and the papacy before the second crusade". ResearchGate.

As per Wiki:

The Northern Crusades or Baltic Crusades were religious wars undertaken by Catholic Christian military orders and kingdoms, primarily against the pagan Baltic, Finnic and Western Slavic peoples around the southern and eastern shores of the Baltic Sea, and to a lesser extent also against Orthodox Christian Slavs (East Slavs). The crusades took place mostly in the 12th and 13th centuries and resulted in the subjugation and forced baptism of indigenous peoples.

The official starting point for the Northern Crusades was Pope Celestine III's call in 1195, but the Catholic kingdoms of Scandinavia, Poland and the Holy Roman Empire had begun moving to subjugate their pagan neighbors even earlier. The non-Christian people who were objects of the campaigns at various dates included:

the Polabian Wends, Sorbs, and Obotrites between the Elbe and Oder rivers (by the Saxons, Danes, and Poles, beginning with the Wendish Crusade in 1147)
the Finns proper in 1150s in controversial First Crusade by the Swedes; by the Danes in 1191 and 1202; Tavastia in 1249 in Second Crusade by the Swedes; and Karelia in 1293 in the Third Crusade by the Swedes; Christianization in these areas had started earlier,
Livonians, Latgallians, Selonians, and Estonians (by the Germans and Danes, 1193–1227),
Semigallians and Curonians (1219–1290),
Old Prussians,
Lithuanians and Samogitians (by the Germans, unsuccessfully, 1236–1316).

Sources:

Christiansen, Erik (1997). The Northern Crusades. London: Penguin Books. p. 287. ISBN 0-14-026653-4.

Hunyadi, Zsolt; József Laszlovszky (2001). The Crusades and the Military Orders: Expanding the Frontiers of Medieval Latin Christianity. Budapest: Central European University Press. p. 606. ISBN 963-9241-42-3.

Christopher Tyerman, God's War: A New History of the Crusades, (University of Harvard Press, 2006), 488.

Von Güttner-Sporzyński, Darius. "Poland and the papacy before the second crusade". ResearchGate.

Right off the bat, I can say it's total bullshit for just two reasons:

1. Rus' started to convert to Orthodox Christianity (the East Byzantine Rights) from 9th century, by 10th century officially becoming "Christian" Around 11th century comes the first filioque schism when the church separates into Western Catholic and Eastern parts. Claiming that newly baked Catholics were subjugating pagans to the East is utter horsheshit, probably propagated by the same idiot professors who major in Slav studies but in reality know squat about the land or its history. I've met a few of them in person.

2. Numbers wise, you are comparing a pimple with a penus. Muslim conquest of India alone saw slaughter of 100s thousands by most conservative accounts. The population density in the lands that you are talking about, even today, it's pretty ****ing sparse. I have no doubt that few pagans get subjugated even today, here and there, but we are not talking about any significant number.

I will look more into your sources later. It will bring me pleasure to take apart that lunacy.

yeah, I'm reading up on some of these "battles" and I can already tell you these comrades are whack. I'll give you one example, apparently one of the bigger "battles" involved 1400 combatants on one side and 40 knights on the other ... you got to be shitting me.

also the author keep referring to Rus' as Russian [thinking] If you call them historians than I'm Jesus.

Last edited:
HaHaHaHa! Half of the folks here don't even know what Andersonville is.

Even fewer know that the Confederacy made repeated attempts to trade POW's with the Union.

As the Union had a surfeit of men, Lincoln made the decision to refuse every offer, and sacrifice those in Andersonville.

What about WW2 re-enactments? Think of the people who dress up as Waffan SS officers? Not something you wear while making a Dunks run before the show. LOL

A far cry from the Hogan's Heroes days. I loved going to the A/N store and finding old German stuff. It was cool!

Hell, it wasn't 20 years ago that you'd have to pay someone $50 to take an Arisaka or Nambu off of your hands. Now they are "rare and desirable." Stuff changes.

A far cry from the Hogan's Heroes days. I loved going to the A/N store and finding old German stuff. It was cool!

Hell, it wasn't 20 years ago that you'd have to pay someone $50 to take an Arisaka or Nambu off of your hands. Now they are "rare and desirable." Stuff changes.

Americans have always wanted German guns as collectibles, even back in 1918 and 1945.

The guns? Sure. Medals and such? Not until the Arayan Morons got ahold of them in the latter 80's. I recall going to Bananas in Brockton and they had all sorts of German WWII gear for reasonable prices. Ditto for flea markets and such.

In my opinion, anything has historical educational value, and can teach new generations of Americans not to repeat past mistakes. Despite any despicible viewpoints said items/memorabilia may showcase such as nazi items, shackles once used to cuff enslaved peoples, and items used against victims of the holocaust for example can be used as very powerful teaching tools.

On the opposite end, these same items can glorify the same kind of folks that shouldn't get an ounce of admiration from anybody. It all comes down to the context the piece (ex. The Confederate Flag) was used. It wasnt being used in an offensive way, it just happened to be the flag that the South used at that time. I could understand (and rightfully so) if the re-enactors were hollering racial slurs at the crowd of tourists watching the mock battle that they would be offended. However, nothing of the sort happened. It was used as a historical prop.

Last edited:
I dunno. Be pretty hard to convince me the Civil War never happened. Be just as hard to convince me a lot of brave American boys didn't die or get shot to pieces on those battlefields.

False flag. Threats and bomb were actually sent by a former member of the re-enactment group. He was angry that he was kicked out for being a convicted pedophile.

That reminds me why I dropped Quartz as a news aggregator.

The facts alone would have been enough, but QZ had to make it all about confederates, and the perfectly reasonable antifa versus "the far right".

As a reenactor I love getting a bunch of guys together to hit the local eatery in uniform saturday night.

I dunno. Be pretty hard to convince me the Civil War never happened. Be just as hard to convince me a lot of brave American boys didn't die or get shot to pieces on those battlefields.

Yet there are thousands, probably millions that deny the Holocaust. It's not that far of a stretch given the right environment. One where we have to tear down statues because they might be offensive.

Back
Top Bottom