• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So close I can taste it...Range Report

I don't think it was; I found the pieces loose in the wrapping...

Talked to the sender; it was broken off in shipping...

T

Last edited:
Small world. Another forum member PM'd me. He had arranged the sale of this very rifle for his uncle. The owner had acquired the rifle from the veteran. The rifle came home with the mismatched stock (2857d vs. 5873d). When the uncle passed, it went to another uncle. From that uncle it eventually came to my seller, and then me. So I'm the 4th or 5th owner from the vet who brought it back.

T

Last edited:
We're all fixed. I bought a pair of snap ring pliers. I also found out I was doing part of it wrong. I remember from the video I watched that the bolt was removed while in safe; meaning the action was cocked. I was trying to get the plunger in with the action uncocked which actually just blocks the exit of the slot a little which is just enough to keep the retaining ring from seating. I did clean out a little dirt from the recess for the ring. It was a two person job; I could hold the plunger down and manipulate the snap ring, but as the safety is so top heavy, it can't balance on its own while you fit the retaining ring. With son to hold the safety and playing twister, I got the ring around the safety and popped it into place. I never want to do that again.

Wiped down all the metal while it was apart; all metal matches that I could see, but I didn't strip the bolt. That's for another day. Ready for the range; one box of light Hornady vintage loads until I can get an Apfelter shooter's kit in April.

T

We called that one a Jesus clip. He never did twll us where it ended up, but we called His name often when in the auto shop.

There were a few misfires in the process. The most memorable one was the spring and plunger shooting straight up - but the spring almost went up my nose and the plunger actually came down on top of my head.

T[rofl]

We called that one a Jesus clip. He never did twll us where it ended up, but we called His name often when in the auto shop.

Jesus clips......love that. Every new kid that comes across some of those in our shop don't get it until one goes flying.

I would check the cir-clip and the groove that it sits in. There doesn't seem to be much engagement and the risk of losing the safety appears to be high. Pull it out, mic the groove and the clip. My guess is the clip is a wee bit to fat to seat in the groove. Stoning the clip might resolve this.

I don't have a micrometer. For what its worth, I did clean out the retaining grove, and it physically popped into place with an audible 'click' when I got it in there.

T

Last edited:
Range report. Sunny, chilly, windy 34 degrees. 5 rounds Hornady Vintage 196gr BTHP from a leather rest off the bench.

Good news and bad news.

1. Don't worry; the rifle didn't break. The safety held just fine :)
2. The operating spring is too weak to chamber a round
3. The magazine falls out when shot! The trigger guard was badly warped, being up to 2mm out of the wood line in some places, especially at the magazine. I had gently bent it back so the contours fell back within the wood line
4. I had assumed the rear sight was 150M not 100 and so aimed low. All 5 rounds missed, but the cardboard below the SR1 target caught three rounds exactly the diameter of the 1880 silver dollar I carry in my pocket. So it is a good shooter

A little more work and I'll have a great shooter.

T

A couldn't help but snicker a little. I was reminded of the scene from Mars Attacks! when the guy's magazine falls out of his M14.

Last edited:
I don't have a micrometer. For what its worth, I did clean out the retaining grove, and it physically popped into place with an audible 'click' when I got it in there.

T

It looks like it is precariously perched in the groove. Is it seated to the bottom of the groove?

The bottom does not have a groove; it is open. It has a slot that a centering tab fits into. The groove is in the sides only; the top and bottom are free. You can see the tab peeking out from the safety. If you enlarge the picture of the replaced safety, you can see the tab splitting the left and right halves. The safety-less shot shows the gap filled by the tab.

T

Last edited:
The butt has a trap door - horizontal on early models and vertical on late models. This is not a stock attachment for shooting. The door is spring loaded to keep it closed, not open. This allows access to a hollow where a service manual and cleaning supplies were kept; sadly mine was empty. This is similar to what you have with a M1 Garand.

T

Ready for round 2. The Wolff spring kit came today and through the wonders of internet tutorials, I stripped the bolt, cleaned all those little pieces, replaced the springs, got those little lugs lined up just right, and then got it all back together again. Took about 45 minutes. The K43 cycles dummy rounds just fine. I have also adjusted the trigger guard to better hold the magazine. Hopefully I'll put 5 or so rounds down range this weekend to see if we cycle properly. Hopefully Apfelter will have a shooter's kit in a few more weeks.

T

Back out with the qve45 today. I did a spring overhaul on the bolt with a Wolff Kit and worked on the trigger guard to improve the magazine fit.

15 rounds Hornady Vintage loads, 50 yards. Rifle worked perfectly and the magazine did not fall out. Brass went 8-16 feet at 2:30. The first 5 were low the next 10 were bang on. Once I get a shooters kit next month, we're going to have a lot of fun. For my birthday I'll add a repro scope and mount and have even more fun.

T

Last edited:
This has been set aside for me from the same seller. Decided to make this my very first scoped rifle.

Butt stock kit came today. The little manual (reproduction/English) is also coming.

T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom