Snubnose Practice Question

Whats a typical practice session for one? I got a chance to shoot my LCR again today, first 5 rounds were great, second 10 much less so. Maybe it was from standing around in 20F in the snow, the gloves, poor grip, whatever; or maybe it was from the 55 rounds I did on Monday and the fact that my hand was feeling "the pressure" really fast. Anyhow, what do others do? Just five to stay in shape, since you shoot lots through your other guns?

Whats a typical practice session for one? I got a chance to shoot my LCR again today, first 5 rounds were great, second 10 much less so. Maybe it was from standing around in 20F in the snow, the gloves, poor grip, whatever; or maybe it was from the 55 rounds I did on Monday and the fact that my hand was feeling "the pressure" really fast. Anyhow, what do others do? Just five to stay in shape, since you shoot lots through your other guns?
People tend to loosen their grip if recoil is unpleasant People tend to concentrate less if they are uncomfortable.

Respectfully,
jkelly

You know, I'm starting to think I just wasn't holding on as tightly. I had already shot off 50rnd of 22, and it took me a while to figure that out that gun too. Guess it wasn't my day today.

Unfortunately, that is the problem with lightweight handguns. They are great to carry, but lousy to shoot--makes for difficult practice sessions. Rather than lightweight revolvers, I carry full-steel versions. They are not much harder to carry, much easier to shoot accurately and easy to practice.

Unfortunately, that is the problem with lightweight handguns. They are great to carry, but lousy to shoot--makes for difficult practice sessions. Rather than lightweight revolvers, I carry full-steel versions. They are not much harder to carry, much easier to shoot accurately and easy to practice.

I'll second the all steel snubbie recommendation. All steel = less pain and easier more accurate shooting.

I hang a paper grocery bag instead of a target. I'll stand 15-25 feet away and shoot 5 rounds and use angles that are safe with the indoor range. My goal is to hit the paper bag. I'm good for about 25 shots before I get tired.

I would say about 20-25 rounds for practice. I figure if I am going to have to clean it I might as well put atleast 25 down the pipe. This seems to be a reasonable amount as it is very rarely the only gun I brought to shoot.

I did get a chance to hold an SP101 today, and it does fit the hand better (go figure, it's a larger gun). I do plan on getting a larger second centerfire at some point. Someday.

The SP101 is my favorite snubby. I love the shape of the grip! If only they made a hammer shroud or internal hammer version so I could shoot through my coat pocket!!!!

I saw a bobbed version today of the SP101. Didn't have much time to look at it, maybe tomorrow or Saturday I'll go back and hold it some more. I didn't dry fire but I did pull the trigger just a bit, and it felt stiffer than the LCR.

Yes, I have a bobbed version and I had the hammer removed from another of my SP101s yet fabric can still get between the hammer and frame which is why I prefer an internal or shrouded hammer for coat pocket carry.

For coat pocket, wouldn't the LCR be better? Shrouded, small package, plus low weight--should pull the jacket less, which means less adjustment of the jacket and/or less printing.

I hang a paper grocery bag instead of a target. I'll stand 15-25 feet away and shoot 5 rounds and use angles that are safe with the indoor range. My goal is to hit the paper bag. I'm good for about 25 shots before I get tired.

Why the paper bag? Cost? Minute-of-man approximation?

supton,

Yes and no. The internal hammer makes it better for coat pocket shooting but its light wieght makes it hard to shoot and practice. I use a 640 which is full steel, internal hammer for coat pocket and my SP101s for everything else including pocket carry. The weight doesnt bother me in the least.

I dont need to adjust the balance because I keep one in both pockets--As I always say about snubbies ; "They're small, take two."

Last edited:
Cool, whatever works best.

Hmm, maybe I oughta give some thought to trading the LCR. Methinks I bought too much into the hype about its shootability. It's a great trigger, exactly what I'd like in a DAO; and the grip does seem to do its best for recoil: but I wish it had a few more ounces to absorb that muzzle flip and recoil. [Although, I suspect that a light weight cylinder helps with staging the trigger, so I wouldn't change that.]

I shot the LCR at last year's SHOT show. I found the model with the rubber grip shot about the same as comparable J-frames. I found the model with the hard plastic laser grips too painful to shoot. Granted, I didnt shoot a lot, but I didn't find any reason for the LCR to tear me away from my 640s and SP101s.

Really? I've heard similar--some say the LCR trigger is great, other say it's pretty comparable to a good J frame trigger. How do you think it stacks up against the SP101? I had been thinking of saving the pennies up for something like a GP100, but maybe I'll split the difference and go SP101.

My comparison was mostly regarding recoil--bacause a trigger can always be fixed. I didn't have a chance to shoot an LCR side by side with a J-frame or Sp101 to compare the trigger. Unless the trigger is really bad, I'm not that sensitive to them. I can shoot almost any trigger. If its an issue you can always have the trigger smithed.

The GP and SP are really two different guns. The choice would depend on how you intend to use it.

I just bought an SP101 a few days ago. Got it at Northeast Trading. It has the Crimson Trace laser sight. Pretty sweet. I've put about 100 rounds through it. If it were warmer I'm sure it would be 10x that number.

What is a bobbed hammer? I'm not familiar with that term.

I bought it with the no exposure hammer from the factory. I'm assuming bobbed that means a person does this modification by themselves.

I would shoot one handed at close range targets. Work on getting a good draw, grip and firing mulitple shots on target. Training isn't always fun

Yes, a bobbed hammer is one where the spur is removed. The end result is what you have already done from the factory.

Yeah, I know--GP is a full size gun, SP is more for conceal carry and thus has one less round, and a bit less weight. Haven't had a chance to feel a GP100 yet in person--looks to be a heavy gun (45oz or so?) which kinda puts me off. I don't CCW (at least not yet), I figure I'll try out a few guns and eventually find what I like.

For basic shooting I would go for the GP if it fits your hand. Great overall gun and easier to shoot than the SP because of the longer barrel and longer sight radius. For concealed carry you will probably be better off with the SP. I can hit a man sized target with one at 50yds in double action so it is certainly accurate enough

The wadcutters seemed hard on my hand, but I have to work on my grip. But I do plan on shooting those.

Anyhow, I held a GP100 today. It was a 6" barrel, and I just wasn't impressed. The grip didn't fit my hand, and it was big and heavy. It did not scream "buy me" like the LCR or SP101 did. [Not the right way to buy, but I'm only human.] The SP101 seems to fit my hand better than the GP100. I know the grip can be changed, but for some reason, full sized frames are off-putting to me.

I need to go back and try both. I like the size of the LCR, but want my second centerfire to be a gun that I can like to shoot 38spl in.

Last edited:

Are you shooting .38 special or .357 magnum? When I practice, 90% of my ammo is reloaded .38s - much easier on the hand. I try to shoot 100 rounds per session, with another 100 of .22LR mixed in (usually 20 rounds, then 20 rounds).

Going from the LCR to the SP101 may help you a lot. I went from a 360PD (12 ounces) to a Model 60 (22 ounces). Moving from an alloy frame to stainless steel hardly feels any different in my pocket on in a holster, but the difference in recoil is very noticable.

I usually shoot 10-15 rounds from my J-frame at each practice session. I only carry 38+P in it, and that is what I practice with (or even occassional 38spl - never 357mag)

I don't get out too often, so I usually run through 150 rounds or so on the snubbie. I do some standard point and shoot, some careful draw (from front pocket, where it lives when I carry it) and shoot, shooting at two targets, and walking/shooting at the same time. I usually close out with ten rounds SA and carefully aimed at a longer distance (maybe 10yds rather than 7.) They suck, but after 140rds through the Airweight I'm a little less than fresh, and I want to try and train through that in case a carefully aimed shot is ever needed.

Just 38spl, no 38+p. I did 30rnd today in the LCR (15 130grn FMJ and 15 148g WC), not as bad, but for some reason all grouped low this time. I was gripping higher this time, so that was probably the issue. Really need to go out more often.

Does MFL have an SP101 to rent? Maybe one of these nights I'll rent one.

Back
Top Bottom