Snakehead Fish Cause Concern in US Waters

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/042309_snakehead_fish_threat

By BOB BARNARD/myfoxdc

FORT WASHINGTON, Md. - A certain type of fish is causing concern in local waterways. They call it the snakehead. This week, a fisherman caught a big one, confirming what officials already knew. The invasive species still poses a real threat to the ecosystem.

Rob Lewis made the big catch at Swan Creek in Fort Washington on Thursday night. The Alexandria angler caught one of the largest Northern Snakeheads on record.

"That's where they get their name, Snakehead-- cause it almost looks like a python, Burmese-type feel," said Lewis. "It feels like a snake as well."

Good thing we don't have these in New England.............Yet !

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/042309_snakehead_fish_threat

Good thing we don't have these in New England.............Yet !

We do, or at least we did. They caught two in my pond.

Yes, they apparently can survive for days out of the water and kind of slither across land [thinking]
They eat everything. Wonderful f*cking creatures.

There's a big market for them in LA and people keep bringing them in to sell at markets to eat them and they sometimes just toss them into the water live. For good luck or some sh*t.

They don't live for days out of water, they would cross a road to get to another pond just like any fish would, take it out of water and it flops around, if it lands in water it lives. They need decently large bodies of water to spawn and raise fry. Aggressive fish that gets larger than most of our sportfish. The Northern snakehead likes cool water.

Had them before, got rid of them a while ago, not dumped either. In Asia you would look at them like a pike or largemouth, an apex predator. They are sportfish and edible. Considering Nile perch, zebra mussels and others, they are another invasive species we have brought into the country.

Although it has been reported as a walking fish, the real threat is its ability to live for days out of water and potentially wallow its way to other water bodies, or be spread by human intervention or flood.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/snakeheadinfosheet.html

Google result found on Maryland's Dept. of Natural Resources.

I like your point about them being just another apex. Fits perfect. An invasive apex predator that is insanely voracious. I wouldn't mind seeing how they are on a line. All of the shows I've seen have shown the fish to be really impressive.

As a gamefish I too would like to see them on a line, they get BIG and are a strong fish. You can go over to several Asian countries and fish for them with tours.

I have seen them last small amounts of time out of water because the build up a slime coat and as long as their gills are damp they can last. As for a fish lasting for days on the side of a pond with no water, not gonna happen, even the lungfish doesnt act like that.

Would I expect that during the rainy season in Asia a fish could live out of water for a while while wet? Yes. Can they live on a table bunched up in a group while damp? Yep, used to be that way in Chinatown. Sold live for food at the markets. Honestly, I am assuming that the MD dept got that line like everyone else has, stretching the fact a fish can live a short while out of water into living "days". A betta fish can gulp air like they can and lives in a low O2 environment, so they do have the ability to last longer than "normal" fish out of water.

My experience with them is limited to aquarium habitats, though and not a pond. They do jump and I had a few die because of that, whish the DID live longer out of water in those cases. One of the few fish that actually bit me. One about 6 inches long took a bite out of my finger and drew blood, they have some sharp, needle like teeth. Very aggressive when young and have a big mouth.

As a gamefish I too would like to see them on a line, they get BIG and are a strong fish. You can go over to several Asian countries and fish for them with tours.

I have seen them last small amounts of time out of water because the build up a slime coat and as long as their gills are damp they can last. As for a fish lasting for days on the side of a pond with no water, not gonna happen, even the lungfish doesnt act like that.

Would I expect that during the rainy season in Asia a fish could live out of water for a while while wet? Yes. Can they live on a table bunched up in a group while damp? Yep, used to be that way in Chinatown. Sold live for food at the markets. Honestly, I am assuming that the MD dept got that line like everyone else has, stretching the fact a fish can live a short while out of water into living "days". A betta fish can gulp air like they can and lives in a low O2 environment, so they do have the ability to last longer than "normal" fish out of water.

My experience with them is limited to aquarium habitats, though and not a pond. They do jump and I had a few die because of that, whish the DID live longer out of water in those cases. One of the few fish that actually bit me. One about 6 inches long took a bite out of my finger and drew blood, they have some sharp, needle like teeth. Very aggressive when young and have a big mouth.

+1
Thanks for sharing your experience and info.

Wow. From the YT channels I watch, or have watched, on MD area anglers, they aren't that concerned. I guess they taste good and fight good. Seem a bit finicky in the bait selection, though.

But damn. What did the thing do? Hitch a ride on 95????

Wow. From the YT channels I watch, or have watched, on MD area anglers, they aren't that concerned. I guess they taste good and fight good. Seem a bit finicky in the bait selection, though.

But damn. What did the thing do? Hitch a ride on 95????

Haven't you seen them in their starring roles in the horror movies?

They walk on land man!

Back
Top Bottom