• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smoothest 9mm

One other thing. Just because a gun shoots soft, doesn't mean it the best shooting.

3 years ago I decided in the spring I was going to try to kick my friends ass at a fall meet we do every year. Walls of steel.

I have 3 appropriate guns. The 1911DW Pointman 9, my G34 and my G35 with a 9mm kkm conversion barrel.

The 35 shoots lighter than the 34 because it has a heavier barre. (the .40s have a larger barrel OD and with the small hole, you end up with greater wall thickness in a 9mm conversion bbl than a native 9mm bbl.

So I went out and shot the 35 against the PM9. First some warm up. focus on fundamentals. The PM9 was a laser. I shot groups half the size with the 1911 as I shot with the 35.

After that I went to some falling steel, which is what Walls of Steel is. As I cleared rack after rack using my shot timer, I couldn't help but notice, I was faster with the Glock.

I didn't want to be faster with the glock. The glock has no style. Its plastic for gods sake. The DW with its custom grip panels and perfect machining was what I wanted to shoot.

But after 3 range days, there was no denying that when shooting at speed, I was better with the glock than with the 1911.

I don't know why. But I was. I was pissed. The DW went into the safe for the summer and I shot only the glock until Walls of Steel.

Unfortunately it wasn't even close, my friend had bought a new gun and didn't really know where its point of impact was. At least not instinctively. He shot poorly.

Ha. The moral of the story is that smooth and light recoil impulse isn't the end all be all. And that certain guns are better at certain activities for certain people.

Lol Don I love the G34, I have two of them.... but shooting those, and shooting my alloy framed P226 Legion SAO are two completely different experiences.

One other thing. Just because a gun shoots soft, doesn't mean it the best shooting.

3 years ago I decided in the spring I was going to try to kick my friends ass at a fall meet we do every year. Walls of steel.

I have 3 appropriate guns. The 1911DW Pointman 9, my G34 and my G35 with a 9mm kkm conversion barrel.

The 35 shoots lighter than the 34 because it has a heavier barre. (the .40s have a larger barrel OD and with the small hole, you end up with greater wall thickness in a 9mm conversion bbl than a native 9mm bbl.

So I went out and shot the 35 against the PM9. First some warm up. focus on fundamentals. The PM9 was a laser. I shot groups half the size with the 1911 as I shot with the 35.

After that I went to some falling steel, which is what Walls of Steel is. As I cleared rack after rack using my shot timer, I couldn't help but notice, I was faster with the Glock.

I didn't want to be faster with the glock. The glock has no style. Its plastic for gods sake. The DW with its custom grip panels and perfect machining was what I wanted to shoot.

But after 3 range days, there was no denying that when shooting at speed, I was better with the glock than with the 1911.

I don't know why. But I was. I was pissed. The DW went into the safe for the summer and I shot only the glock until Walls of Steel.

Unfortunately it wasn't even close, my friend had bought a new gun and didn't really know where its point of impact was. At least not instinctively. He shot poorly.

Ha. The moral of the story is that smooth and light recoil impulse isn't the end all be all. And that certain guns are better at certain activities for certain people.
Probably because the PM9 is heavier? I have a PM9 along with CZ Shadow 1 and 2 and I'm realizing I shoot the S1 better since it's not as muzzle heavy as the S2. Makes transitions faster. Now granted if I practiced enough and was a GM level shooter, weight shouldn't really matter but it does to me.

Probably because the PM9 is heavier? I have a PM9 along with CZ Shadow 1 and 2 and I'm realizing I shoot the S1 better since it's not as muzzle heavy as the S2. Makes transitions faster. Now granted if I practiced enough and was a GM level shooter, weight shouldn't really matter but it does to me.

Yup, I noticed the same thing when I had a 2. 2 feels better in hand, thumps less, but transitions are faster with the S1 because it's not as heavy.

Mike and Andrew - That's the tradeoff. Heavier gun, especially muzzle heavy gun will recoil less. Shoot flatter, but transition slower.

The trick is finding the sweet spot.

I did shoot the 35(with 9mm conversion barrel) faster than the 34. They are identical guns except the 34 has a heavier barrel because the OD is larger.

Lol Don I love the G34, I have two of them.... but shooting those, and shooting my alloy framed P226 Legion SAO are two completely different experiences.

Yes. the experience is different. But I've found that alloy framed guns tend to recoil MORE than plastic guns. My guess is that they are stiff but also light.

this^^^ i have a idpa pc5906. best shooting gun i've ever shot. but only made just over 300 of them. and the last one i seen sell was over 3k. but a regular 5906 is still a great shooter.

Jerry, I had a Performance Center 5906 that I bought just before the Smith and Wesson Winternationals in 2000. I shot it once and decided I liked the Glock 34 I already had, better. While I shot the Glock better. The PC5906 was GORGEOUS and a tack driver.

It is the gun I most regret selling.

If you ever want to get rid of yours, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom