Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 (357)

gene

NES Member
Picked up a model 66-1 from a friend of mine today and will shoot it tomorrow. His hands shake and he is unable to shoot well anymore.

The deal was:
The 66-1 Stainless 357 Mag 98%
A Bianchi shoulder holster
A Bianchi belt holster
A speed loader
Extra set of Eagle Rosewood finger grips which I just put on

Paid $350.00 for the works and think, thought I got a good deal on used and since I am collecting stainless it fits the collection. The wife isn't convinced but they seem to value between 450.00 and 600.00 from what I saw.

Anyone out there know anything about this particular model or any quirks with it?

I think you got a great deal! What length barrel do you have? I'm looking for a 2.5 inch 66 and the average price I've seen is $450. I have a 4" 66 no dash (paid 350) that has been great. I love K frames. Enjoy it!

I think you got a great deal! What length barrel do you have? I'm looking for a 2.5 inch 66 and the average price I've seen is $450. I have a 4" 66 no dash (paid 350) that has been great. I love K frames. Enjoy it!

Its a 4" but what is a dash?[thinking]

Picked up a model 66-1 from a friend of mine today and will shoot it tomorrow. His hands shake and he is unable to shoot well anymore.

The deal was:
The 66-1 Stainless 357 Mag 98%
A Bianchi shoulder holster
A Bianchi belt holster
A speed loader
Extra set of Eagle Rosewood finger grips which I just put on it.

Anyone out there know anything about this particular model or any quirks with it?

DO NOT SHOOT IT WITH 357 MAGS, WITH THE ROSE WOOD GRIPS!!

Here is mine.66-1 factory hand engraved that is a shooter!!!!

DSC03030.jpg

Regards

Fred

It's the dash in the model number. You have a 66-1. The dashes represent engineering changes. The 66 was introduced in 1970. They added the -1 in 1977 when they changed the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder.

Nice collection as soon as I get time and figure how to add pictures I will post mine as well. About the finger grips though, factory wood or finger for shooting. I like the finger grip feel but someone already said don't shoot 357 mag with them. I will shoot some 357 but probably mostly shoot the 38 for awhile since I have a boat load of 38.[thinking]

I'm guessing Fred said not to shoot 357 with the wood grips because it'll hurt like hell? [wink] And I think he was indirectly suggesting you put on some rubber grips. [grin]

Thanks Gene. The finger groove grips I have are Hogues. They feel great and I shoot with them all the time. I don't know why you couldn't shoot .357 with rosewood grips.

I'm guessing Fred said not to shoot 357 with the wood grips because it'll hurt like hell? [wink] And I think he was indirectly suggesting you put on some rubber grips. [grin]

I shoot my 44 mag all the time with the wood grips but it does get painfull after the first 50 rounds I will admit. Most people I let shoot it seem to hand it back quickly which I find funny.[grin]

Gene,

You got yourself a great revolver. Not a "quirk" per se, but you should stick with heavier (158gr) bullets for full power loads.

Read all about it here.

Back
Top Bottom