• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Compact ~ Worth my Time?

I love mine and carry it. Someone did a torture test with it and it went over 60,000 rounds until the slide cracked slightly. No other problems. They sent it to S&W to inspect the crack and S&W gave it the "OK" to safley continue firing it even with the small crack in the slide. Amazing.

I don't know what the fuss about the trigger is. Mine is a stock MA trigger, and while a bit heavy it is nice and crisp. I may get the $60 trigger job to lighten it a bit, I may not.

Mine has been over 1000 rounds without a single hiccup. I would get the compact if I were you cause it's easy to conceal. I may get the full size M&P 45 someday, but I refuse to buy the full sized models that are neutered. The compact 9mm is neutered as well. The .40/357 compact is not.

the MA triggers are inconsistent. Some people have 15-20lb triggers on theirs. Not kidding. Mine was probably close to 15lbs and kind of crunchy. mine desperately needed to be worked. Now it's light and smooth at about 5.5lbs.

the MA triggers are inconsistent. Some people have 15-20lb triggers on theirs. Not kidding. Mine was probably close to 15lbs and kind of crunchy. mine desperately needed to be worked. Now it's light and smooth at about 5.5lbs.

+1 - some people have great luck out of the factory but mine was like jhblaze's hard and rough. Trigger job lightened to 5.5 and smooth as can be. I wouldn't go much lower for a defensive gun though...

The MA M&P trigger is supposed to be10 pounds and some are just that. The majority of M&Ps in our classes are heavier with the all time high being over 20 pounds. I just bought a M&P9 because we have a commercial client that only shoots M&Ps. Out of the box the trigger pull was 11.5 pounds and very rough. I sent the gun to Mike LaRocca and now I have a very smooth trigger, with a lower pull weight. The trigger is so smooth that I have not bothered to put a trigger pull gage on it. I would guess the the pull is about 5 pounds.

Do yourself a HUGE favor, just go shoot one and make up your own mind don't listen to the jibber/jabber from those that may or may not know what their talking about [wink]

I owned the M&P 9C for my first gun and the trigger was horrible was in the area of 12lbs wife even tried it and couldn't pull the trigger with 1 finger Had a trigger job done brought it down to 4.5 and it was a comfortable shoot the 9mm had a lot of recoil on it its a top heavy gun but great for carrying. I carried mine 13 hours 1 day with no issues what so ever. Its a great carry gun but not a good targeting gun I would recommend a full size if your using it for the range

I rented a 40 compact at the Smith range in Springfield. Trigger was horrible. Not only heavy but gritty. Did the trigger job rectify this or just make it lighter?

Have one and it's great i shoot IDPA /USPSA ...also carry very comfortable .as far as the trigger goes i had greg Derr smooth it out ... the gritty feeling is gone and the pull is ligther but never really thought the pull was a big deal . so ,great carry gun and using IDPA only sharpens your skills if ever needed .

I've never experienced problems with my neutered mags. The 40c and fullsize .45 both ship with 10 rounders for everyone right from the factory, so these are your choices if you're worried about reliability problems from turning a hi-cap into a 10 rounder.

The smiths who do most of the M&P work around here are Burwell, Derr, La Rocca, and Santurri...there's also Bowie and now Remsport for drop-in kits. Does anyone else have a go-to gunsmith that doesn't get much publicity?

I own the 9c and 40c. Had shoulder issues and couldn't shoot the 40 without pain for a while but took it out tonight and love it. I can shoot fairly rapid, single handed, either strong or weak, and hit center mass every time. I'm not talking .5" groups, I'm talking putting lots of holes in the chest and head of a man sized target. (Like I would want to if I was being attacked. Thanks NE SHooters for the training.[wink])

Had Greg Derr do the trigger. About 4.5 lbs now.

Back
Top Bottom