• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Compact ~ Worth my Time?

I'm in the market for a compact (.40 cal) and thinking of getting the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 compact soon. I'm seeing mixed reviews for the little info I find, or just hearing about the 9mm and .45 versions. I'd appreciate anyone shedding any light on the pros and cons of the M&P .40 compact - the neglected middle child of the M&P family.

Other considerations are welcome too.

Love mine. It has split carry time with its full sized brother for some time now. Feel great in the hand, especially with the slightly extended mags. The thing puts lead on paper accurately as well as its bigger brother, but has the advantage of slipping into an IWB holster and all but disappearing under a tucked shirt when need be.

Although I have taken to carrying my new Scandium 1911 as of late, the compact .40 M&P has been a fine choice.

Any Metrowest Tactical practice event you may attend is your open invitation to shoot it. (Or any other mutually convenient time)

Steve

I've shot a friends half a dozen times and it's a really nice pistol. Personally I would get the .40 in fullsize and the 9mm in compact but it's certainly a very managable pistol. The ergonomics and sights are better than a Glocks. I would consider getting the getting the non-MA trigger installed though.

I was absolutely amazed at how well this gun handled the recoil. I probably won't buy this gun. But if it came down to this vs. the full size, I would buy this everytime.

The ergonomics and sights are better than a Glocks. I would consider getting the getting the non-MA trigger installed though.

+1. Just make sure you try it/get a 'free state' trigger or get a trigger job to lighten the 10lb+ factory ma-compliant trigger.

I love this gun. Little recoil. Ive shot at least a couple thousand rounds through it and it hasn't malfunctioned once. Feels great in my hand and I am getting used to the heavy trigger. I also carry this gun all the time.

It is HEAVY.

I don't mind it. I am .5" at 7yds with the factory trigger. Some do. at $100 or less trigger job makes it exactly what you want.

Sorry to see you are up in the north shore. If your travels get you out rt2. send me a PM and you can try it all you like.

OK, I forgot about the trigger issue...I read in passing somewhere about it being tight or something. Can anyone elaborate?

Yes, it comes out of the factory with a 10lb or more trigger pull. I found myself shooting all over the place because of my anticipating the heavy trigger pull, forcing the barrel to point lower than I was aiming for. I'm sure this could have been overcome with more training/practice, but my finger was hurtin' after a few hundred rounds downrange. I got a trigger job by Dave Santurri (N Attleboro) for 89 bucks, and it shoots like a beauty now. Can hit dead center each and every time. It is a really smooth pull, light (around 5.5 lbs now) and resets well.

I love this gun. Little recoil. Ive shot at least a couple thousand rounds through it and it hasn't malfunctioned once. Feels great in my hand and I am getting used to the heavy trigger. I also carry this gun all the time.

+1 - The recoil on my M&P is almost non-existent. I haven't had one misfeed/malfunction and I've used most major brands of ammo. Like italianbostonian said, I havent found a gun that fits better in my hand yet. I just couldn't deal with the ridiculous factory trigger.

Sorry to see you are up in the north shore. If your travels get you out rt2. send me a PM and you can try it all you like.

Thanks. I'd love to try it before buying...Finding time over the next 2 weeks is going to be the trick - and I'd like to get the thing before the "buy now and get 2 free additional mags" offer expires at the end of this month. I'm unsure how I feel about that trigger issue though. Who knows, I may prefer it...

MST, if your up on the North Shore I would be more than happy to let you try mine at Bob's in Salisbury. Let me know if you want to.

I just sent a PM offering the same - but I've got the 9mm compact. If you want to try both (ItalianBostonian, I assume you have the .40), let me know I'll meet you or both of you up there.

I shoot at Bob's as well from time to time and I have the 9mm FS with a Greg Derr trigger job (I think he said it was 4.5#) if you want to feel what that is like.

I rented a 40 compact at the Smith range in Springfield. Trigger was horrible. Not only heavy but gritty. Did the trigger job rectify this or just make it lighter?

I rented a 40 compact at the Smith range in Springfield. Trigger was horrible. Not only heavy but gritty. Did the trigger job rectify this or just make it lighter?

You are right, those are the horrible factory triggers. My trigger is lighter and smooth, resets well too. Dave Santurri did mine.

Also, we should have a group of us go up to Bobs with our M&Ps one day - could be fun!

Grit is gone with use.

The trigger job is basically polishing of all parts with some fine contouring of others.

I will dig up the directions and post them tomorrow.

I am not a fan of the 40 Compact SW MP as currently sold in Mass. The 10+ lb trigger makes it very difficult to be accurate with the normal recoil of the 40 SW cartridge.
I have yet to try one without a trigger job, but I was much happier with the Glock 23. The Glock 27 I owned for a total of 2 weeks had far too much recoil for the gun size- while size is always an issue for someone who is pretty slim in considering a carry weapon, I could not legitimize carrying a firearm I could not shoot to my standards of accuracy.

I improved my skill quite a bit with the SW MP 45 full size, even with the MA trigger. I don't know why- but the 45 ACP always has been a better cartridge choice for me- I can handle the recoil better than that of a 40 SW.

I am not a fan of the 40 Compact SW MP as currently sold in Mass. The 10+ lb trigger makes it very difficult to be accurate with the normal recoil of the 40 SW cartridge.

I, and many, would consider factory mass compliant M&P triggers to be "broken" until a trigger job is performed. I'd almost say if you buy a MA M&P NIB, just take it right to a gunsmith before you shoot it... [thinking]

The trigger on the M&P is very easy to work on. Grab a file and some glock springs and you can get the trigger much lighter.

My Trigger is at 2.5lbs and I think I can get it lower

Thanks to all who replied. I'm hoping that I get to try a couple of different cal. on Sunday at Bobs from a few offers within this thread...

OK, I forgot about the trigger issue...I read in passing somewhere about it being tight or something. Can anyone elaborate?

I love mine and carry it. Someone did a torture test with it and it went over 60,000 rounds until the slide cracked slightly. No other problems. They sent it to S&W to inspect the crack and S&W gave it the "OK" to safley continue firing it even with the small crack in the slide. Amazing.

I don't know what the fuss about the trigger is. Mine is a stock MA trigger, and while a bit heavy it is nice and crisp. I may get the $60 trigger job to lighten it a bit, I may not.

Mine has been over 1000 rounds without a single hiccup. I would get the compact if I were you cause it's easy to conceal. I may get the full size M&P 45 someday, but I refuse to buy the full sized models that are neutered. The compact 9mm is neutered as well. The .40/357 compact is not.

I have a M&P 40c, love it. It has a 'free-state' trigger. Tried hubby's sig P229 in 40, liked mine hands down (him too). He also has a H&K 40c. Like them about the same. FWIW

I have a sig 229 and an M&P40. Interesting the different preferences people have on guns. IMO the M&P feels like a toy compared to the Sig. I shoot the Sig more accurately, and just overall feel like it's a caddy and the M&P is a ford.

That being said, I still love the M&P, will probably never get rid of it, still carry it sometimes, and love to shoot it at the range.

Overall, I'd say the M&P is a really really great gun for the money. Well built, has S&W's customer service behind it, feels great in the hand, shoots well. Needs a trigger job, but that's pretty minor.

Back
Top Bottom