Smith M & P approval

The real concern for me is that the trigger module will be a gunsmith or factory only part. They could refuse to sell it to mere mortals.

There never has been an AG List of handguns and there will never be one until we get a pro-gun AG in power . . . who would probably do away with the Regs anyway.

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

HINT: The ONLY List out there is the EOPS List and that is only 1/2 the equation to selling handguns in MA.

There never has been an AG List of handguns and there will never be one until we get a pro-gun AG in power . . . who would probably do away with the Regs anyway.

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

HINT: The ONLY List out there is the EOPS List and that is only 1/2 the equation to selling handguns in MA.

I hate to burst your bubble Len, but there is an AGs list. They just don't release it. They use it for enforcement purposes only. The undercover sting operators have the list and use it all the time. That is how they go around slapping the dealers.

The proper statement here is "There is no Public List".

As for the 10# trigger, the rule is it must leave the factory for sale with that trigger.

The truth is, it can be sent back at any time for enhancement. I have been told they are very easy to work on. When I get mine I will report but that will not be until they are releasd in 357SIG.

Regards,

Gary

I have an MP 40 and can tell you that it comes apart very easily. MY gun does not have the mag safety,built in lock or the 10lb trigger. Removing the mag safety and internal lock is not very hard to do. Removing the sear assemly is also easy. The M/P was designed to be easily taken aprt. ON the MP-pistol forum there are detailed instructions on how to remove the Mag safety . The site is full of good information on the pistol. As a side note I was told Winthrop Ma Police Dept is supposed to be transitioning to the M/P 40

Like everyone else, the MA trigger and the low cap mags are huge turnoffs for me. I'm comfortable messing with the trigger myself and it's my understanding that the factory will not be switching out triggers. In the meantime, I'll such it up and pay the big cash for MA legal Glocks with their nice 5.5lb triggers.

Personally, the gun I think we miss out most in MA are the Springfield XDs, it's such a bummer that we will never see one here :(

The M&P that I played with had a very nice trigger, smooth and light. I was told that the trigger was easy to work and safer than a glock worked trigger, but this was on a CT gun that had been factory tuned for competition

The M&P that I played with had a very nice trigger, smooth and light. I was told that the trigger was easy to work and safer than a glock worked trigger, but this was on a CT gun that had been factory tuned for competition

I should have mine for the Bass River 11-05 match (won't be shooting it yet though until I collect the neeed gear) It will be my production and L10 for next season.

Regards,

LEOs have been able to buy the M&P for many months. I got to handle one at Collectors at least 6 months ago. If I really had wanted it, I could have bought one. I think like others, I just may wait until the .45 becomes available.

I went to the S&W Academy today to rent and shoot the M&P. It's an awesome gun and I can't wait to get one. Talking with the reps from S&W they assured me they will be avail. Jan. 30th. Needless to say I'll be buying a new gun that day. He said they are all set and approved just waiting for them to be delivered. Also, said the trigger CAN be swapped out for a lighter one as many people have said it couldn't be done but rest assured that it can... Yeehaa only 2 1/2 more weeks to go...

Pete

Yea they are all ready to go, S&W has a SKU number for the approved M&P but alas, they have the modified trigger, BUT if you really want an improved trigger for the range it is an easy process to accomplish...
BUY them fast and soon so S&W knows where its following resides, in MASS!

Any idea how may models will be available? How many calibers? How many frame sizes?

Do you think they will get along well with my Glocks? [smile]

Any idea how may models will be available? How many calibers? How many frame sizes?

Do you think they will get along well with my Glocks? [smile]

No your Glocks won't like the new kid in town because the new kid is much improvement over the Glock with its better grip angle and more features. The Glocks will be jealous of the beauty of the M&P and may start a riot.

A few questions about the M&P, specifically the 9mm compact:

- Is it on the same schedule that has been mentioned, to be available this month in Mass?
- Is it like the S&W99 series, a colaboration with Walther, with some parts made by Walther?
- Is it easy to do a complete detailed disassembly, like Glocks?
- Anyone know if there's an owners manual posted yet?

Pete, what kind of features?
You don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble for starters. You can do it to speed things up, but you don't have to. Makes to easier to recommend the gun to the inexperienced and those you don't trust :p Interchangeable back straps. Ignition is not compromised quite as much as on the Glock so you should get better results with hard or improperly seated primers.

/Does not like certain striker fired ignition systems.

Last edited:
If you really want some good answers go to the M&P Forum and read the FAQs. If that doesn't answer your questions, post them but most questions have been asked and answered so do a search first[wink]

It is a new design not a rehash of the old. I have trouble shooting all but Generation 3 Glocks. This M&P picked right up and fit my hand. To the point, I may sell my Sig 226 9MM to go to the M&P 9MM. I really like the M&P 40.

As for trigger work, check the threads as I have posted links already to an excellent gunsmith in PA that does a nice trigger job if you really need one.

Only thing I am not real happy with is th magazines. I am sending six of them to me NP3 coated to solve the issue I have. (sand doesn't dump out real easy)

As for the grip, I started with the Large but have settled into the Medium. They change real easy and allow more custom fitting.

Now, what models will be released:

So far only 9MM in full and compact size and 40S&W in full size (a few 40S&W compacts are arriving in some places) The 357SIG is not available yet. I just e mailed three barrel manufacturers to see how much to have one made. I prefer that cartridge to all semi auto cartridges. My friend at the factory advised that they are concentrating on what the LE contracts require before anything else. That is their goal.

The 45ACP model was supposed to be unveiled at the Shot show. Looks like it will be a hot item but we may not see it for a while.

I have about 1000 rounds through mine (not as many as I should but time is tight). Only problem I had was feeding in the first match I shot with it. It was my fault and not the fault of the gun. I was running it a little too dry. It likes a little light grease to run better. (I will be trying the Waller Gun Butter[smile] )

There are holster available from most Kydex benders. Mag holders too. Some of the dead animal skin holster makers have tooled up too.

Check out the M&P forum there are a lot of knowledgeable people there.

Regards,

If you really want some good answers go to the M&P Forum and read the FAQs. If that doesn't answer your questions, post them but most questions have been asked and answered so do a search first[wink]

Been there, done that, little or no info found. I even emailed S&W, but no response yet. My main question was whether this another Walther colaboration, where the slide and frame are manufactured etc.

As for trigger work, check the threads as I have posted links already to an excellent gunsmith in PA that does a nice trigger job if you really need one.

But that's exactly what I want to avoid. If the M&P isn't simple to disassemble and work on like a Glock, that's very important to me. I want to be able to do some of my own work, within reason. I don't want to have to be a gunsmith with special training and tools to do it. Glock's design, along with a large supply of stock and custom replacement parts on the market, meets those goals.

ETA:

I finally found a great disassembly guide (and trigger job instructions) on the M&P Forum mentioned earlier in this thread. Search for user DANO, "trigger job". One thing I didn't like is that the rear sight has to be removed to access certain areas. But overall, it looked pretty good, not hard to work on.

Last edited:
But that's exactly what I want to avoid. If the M&P isn't simple to disassemble and work on like a Glock, that's very important to me.

You obviously missed the M&P thread on this forum where THIS was posted. Hope this helps.

As for after market parts, you would probably be better off sticking with a Glock.The gun is too new to even consider having that selection or the need for the parts.

Trying to compare the M&P to a Glock is like comparing a Ruger revolver to a S&W. They are the same thing but different designs.

Many competition shooters are successfully using the M&P in USPSA and IDPA with no problems. Those that do not like Glocks have a new firearm to try. Go to the Brian Enos Forum and read the M&P thread. Some good, some bad.

Regards,

Dammit - looks like I now have something else I have to spend money on. A few months back when I was evaluating what I wanted to buy for my first handgun I shot a Glock 19 and the M&P .40 side by side - and I liked the M&P better. But they weren't available in MA yet - and I couldn't find any decently priced 19's - so I bought a Glock 22. I have put a few hundred rounds thru the 22 so far - and I am getting better with it, but I really want an M&P, probably in 9mm. If they are becoming available now I am not going to have an excuse for not getting one. [thinking]

No your Glocks won't like the new kid in town because the new kid is much improvement over the Glock with its better grip angle and more features. The Glocks will be jealous of the beauty of the M&P and may start a riot.

Maybe we should wait a few years to see how the M&P holds up before crowning it the new king of the hill. S&W has had a few failures in the past that they thought were going to take over the semi-auto market. Just because Jule G. shoots it now doesn't make it a winner. I'll hang on to my Glocks for now and see how the M&P fares. I have never been one to be the first on my block to have something...

-Cuz.

Maybe we should wait a few years to see how the M&P holds up before crowning it the new king of the hill. S&W has had a few failures in the past that they thought were going to take over the semi-auto market. Just because Jule G. shoots it now doesn't make it a winner. I'll hang on to my Glocks for now and see how the M&P fares. I have never been one to be the first on my block to have something...

-Cuz.

It's like back in the 80's when they had those commercials for the flex toothbrushes. The flat straight ones always laughed when the flex brush was placed next to it. Then they were all sad to find them replaced by the new and improved toothbrushes. Same thing is going to happen here. LOL

Seriously, Glock revolutionized a lot when it comes to handguns. S&W tried to compete with Glock and rushed out the Sigma which was not a success. However, S&W has put in several years of research and development into the M&P and will recieve fruits for their labor. True, it will take years to truely compare the M&P with a Glock but don't forget S&W has a lifetime warranty so if there is a problem it will be fixed free of charge.

It's like back in the 80's when they had those commercials for the flex toothbrushes. The flat straight ones always laughed when the flex brush was placed next to it. Then they were all sad to find them replaced by the new and improved toothbrushes. Same thing is going to happen here. LOL

Seriously, Glock revolutionized a lot when it comes to handguns. S&W tried to compete with Glock and rushed out the Sigma which was not a success. However, S&W has put in several years of research and development into the M&P and will recieve fruits for their labor. True, it will take years to truely compare the M&P with a Glock but don't forget S&W has a lifetime warranty so if there is a problem it will be fixed free of charge.

PP,
Too funny. So I'll put the finishing touches on my Glock collection for right now, and wait until next year before I run out and buy an M&P.
The only reason I've become fond of Glocks lately is because I don't need a gunsmith to make any modifications to it. I like that I can buy modular parts and install them myself. I can't do that with my 1911s.
-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom