Small Bore Rifle Team @ Mass Rifle Assoc.

Scuderia

NES Member
Anyone here a member of the MRA small bore rifle team? I was thinking about joining next season and was wondering what types of rifles most people are shooting. I plan on going down to one of the meets to see but figured I'd check here first. I'm guessing most people are shooting bolt actions but I'm wondering if I have to go all out with something like an Anschutz or if a CZ will suffice in order to be competitive. The description on their website says "The course of fire involves both prone and off-hand (standing) using NRA A-17 "bucket" targets (the one with ten bulls-eyes surrounding an eleventh sighter bulls-eye)." Any info would be greatly appreciated.

i do not compete, but i can tell from the rifle perspective the cz 457 mtr varmint is as excellent as it gets. i like ones with wooden stock, for competition the one in proper chassis would be probably more appropriate, but, it is your decision.
i posted it before - this is a 100yds shoot with aguila se, it is that good of the rifle. a better match grade ammo would group even better. do you need a $3k anschutz to make this group tighter? up to you.
cz457.jpg

Last edited:
I have a CZ 457 and I've shot plenty of Anschutz, FWB and Walther.

I'm not sure about MRA, but I'd say if you want to win, then you'd need one of the high end bolts.

If you just want to shoot and have fun, then the CZ is awfully precise for how cheap it is

If you're interested in .22 competitions and not dead set on that style of shooting, consider looking into PRS22. There's going to be 6 or 7 clubs hosting sanctioned matches next year on the New England regional circuit. Need to have a repeater though. Vudoo and RimX run the show, but the B14R, T1X and 457 will all hold their own.

Don’t wait until next year get there now. Most guys will be shooting Anschutz. They’ll welcome you and make a big effort to get you geared up. If the club doesn’t have loaners some of the shooters will. Get over there and talk to the guys. They’ll get you going quicker than you thought possible. Check the schedule before you head over. The league shuts down over the holidays. They tend to follow the public school vacation schedule.

Buy, Sell, Trade

Also, If you want to get an idea if you want to shoot 3 position smallbore, find yourself an old Mossberg bolt single shot, or similar, and go for it.
Prone, kneeling, Standing(offhand). Standing takes range time to get good, years. Ask anyone shooting good scores, how long it took them?
If you put the time and work in , for standing , you will see results, hang in there, it does happen. PM me for coaching tips, we have all been where you are now.
After some range time, you will be in a better position to make a choice on Anschutz or CZ. One key aspect to Anschutz compared to any less expensive, CZ/others, in my experience
is the trigger. The trigger is "everything" for a target rifle.

Last edited:
Most decently accurate 22 rifles will keep you in the 90%'s for the offhand portion because the determining factor in your score is YOU. But to score 100 in the prone, and you really can't drop any points in prone, you need a seriously accurate rifle.
What you're going to see most of are Anschutz, followed by Winchester 52's, Remington 40X, and so on down the line. If you are in a wealthy area, you might see Walthers, FWB, Hammerli, but their scores aren't necessarily going to be higher than the guy shooting Grampa's 52.

You'll definitely need a coat and sling.
CCI Standard or Wolf Match Target is a relatively inexpensive round that will hold the 10 ring.

Take whatever you have for a rifle and just start. Most league teams have "Gold Team" scores and "Blue Team" scores. Top 5 are Gold, bottom 5 are Blue.

i do not compete, but i can tell from the rifle perspective the cz 457 mtr varmint is as excellent as it gets. i like ones with wooden stock, for competition the one in proper chassis would be probably more appropriate, but, it is your decision.
i posted it before - this is a 100yds shoot with aguila se, it is that good of the rifle. a better match grade ammo would group even better. do you need a $3k anschutz to make this group tighter? up to you.
View attachment 552649
You don't NEED an Anschutz to make that group better, but the Anschutz WILL be more accurate.
Most all indoor leagues are shot at 50 feet. Sounds easy? Sling up prone and try to hit a ten ring about the size of the open end of a 22lr case. Now do it ten times in a row. That's the easy part. Now stand up and do it 20 more times.

If you get into smallbore rifle, start with League. But keep yourself open to shooting a 1200 point 3 position indoor winter sectional. Also there is summer outdoor prone league as well as 200 yard standing 20 shot league. Summer outdoor 3 pos 3200 points weekend. These bigger events are 3 to 4+ hours of shooting, you need to train to be ready for this length of time.

Champion's Choice A good source for equipment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom