Slug gun scope on a lever rifle

wjsmall97

NES Member
Has anyone used a slug gun \in line muzzleloader scope on a lever gun (30-30). I guess they would be about the same, as the bolt action slug guns are pretty much shooting at the same practical distance as the 30-30.
Bill

The only real difference is in the turret adjustments.
I have a older Tasco "shotgun/muzzle loader" scope that is 1 moa adjustments. The one I had on my 870 I think is a early traditions branded scope and that's 1/2 moa. Other than that today's scopes for the most part are just labeled differently.

That's what I thought, but was just wondering if anyone else was using one and what they liked and disliked, and models.
Thanks, Bill

Typically a shotgun scope has the parallax preset @ 75 yds where the equivalent rifle scope is at 100. Not sure how much a factor that is.....might even be an advantage, we probably shoot more at 75 than 150 around here anyways.

Typically a shotgun scope has the parallax preset @ 75 yds where the equivalent rifle scope is at 100. Not sure how much a factor that is.....might even be an advantage, we probably shoot more at 75 than 150 around here anyways.
im going to toss this out.....with your average slug gun and smoke pole im doubting the parallax error eould come into play vs the accuracy and shooter error? uless you have one of those super slug/smokepoles that puts sabot rounds into clover leaves at 200 yards!

Practically speaking I would tend to agree with you. There's plenty of equations on line if for some reason you want to calculate the max error of your set up, but it ain't much.

I would however offer up a couple points-

We're talking putting a shotgun scope on a rifle- not the other way around. Under 50 yards I would expect my deer gun to put shot after shot after shot into one not so ragged hole, and any sighting error would indeed be measurable.

The math of the whole thing doesn't quite work the way common sense suggests. The error is increased more when shooting a distance that is shorter than the preset distance than when shooting a distance longer than the preset, so a scope set up to have everything "in front" of the preset does make some sense.

In a short range shotgun type situation one is much more likely to be snap shooting, resulting in a less precise cheek weld, and eye alignment.

Either way, in the real world, I do agree, I don't think the difference between venison stew and going vegan is going to come down to rifle vs shotgun scope.

Back
Top Bottom