• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Slow Painful Death Would Be Justice For Marvin...

http://www.adn.com/2010/08/31/1433399/1million-bail-set-for-suspect.html

Bail set for suspect in police slayings at $1 million

SUSPECT: Marvin charged in deaths of two police officers.

By RACHEL D'ORO
The Associated Press

Published: August 31st, 2010 11:16 PM
Last Modified: August 31st, 2010 11:18 PM

Bail was set at $1 million today for the man charged in the fatal shooting of two police officers in a small Southeast Alaska village.

John Marvin Jr., 45, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder on allegations that he ambushed two Hoonah police officers as they chatted in front of his home late Saturday

John Marvin Jr. faces two counts of first-degree murder in the weekend deaths of Hoonah police officers Tony Wallace and Matt Tokuoka. The officers were shot late Saturday.

Marvin made his first court appearance Tuesday in Juneau, 40 miles east of Hoonah. He was arrested Monday after a standoff with authorities.

Marvin, 45, was assigned to the Alaska Public Defender Agency, but an attorney has not yet been appointed to the case, said Eric Hedland, a public defense attorney in Juneau. Under his bail conditions, Marvin would have to be released to a third-party custodian, Hedland said.

According to court records, Marvin attacked the same two officers while they were responding to a call about an intruder last year, but assault and other charges were later dropped.

Juneau District Attorney Doug Gardner said he explained the reasons for the dismissal at Tuesday's court hearing, but declined to disclose it to a reporter.

"What I say in court is one thing," he said. "I'm not going to talk to the media about it."

Meanwhile, Hoonah residents were dealing with their grief over losing the two officers, a number that amounted to half the police force in the community of 800. Chaplains and counselors have arrived to help people cope, said Bob Prunella, acting Hoonah administrator.

On Monday night, Hoonah residents held a candlelight ceremony to remember Wallace, 32, and Tokuoka, 39. The ceremony was held near Marvin's home, where the two were gunned down in front of family members, including Wallace's mother, who was visiting from Florida.

"I think a lot of people needed it," Prunella said of the ceremony. "I needed it."

Among those attending the ceremony was Wallace's mother, Debbie Greene of St. Petersburg, Fla. She was on a patrol ride-along with her son when the shootings occurred, said Jamie Brothers, an ex-girlfriend of Wallace who remained friends with him.

Tokuoka was off-duty, driving away from his father-in-law's home with his wife and two children, when the two officers stopped to chat.

Brothers said Greene texted her Tuesday, saying she could only stay at the ceremony for a few minutes.

"She said, 'I was standing in the spot where my son was killed. I just couldn't do it,'" Brothers said.

In Anchorage this evening, a procession of law enforcement vehicles followed hearses carrying the officers' bodies from the state medical examiner's office to a downtown funeral home.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/08/31/1433399/1million-bail-set-for-suspect.html#ixzz0yHY8Do4T

Deepest condolences and sympathy to the family members.

[halfmast]

Not to diminish the deaths of the two officers but something smells

Barring that the details of the shooting are false (which they are not), NOTHING smells...Marvin is a POS and should be hung...slowly....

Barring that the details of the shooting are false (which they are not), NOTHING smells...Marvin is a POS and should be hung...slowly....
So if you were taken from your home, got thrown in jail for three months and then had the charges dropped you would be happy with the performance of your small town PD? http://www.adn.com/2010/08/30/1431781/slain-officers-arrested-accused.html

I would really like to know why chargers were dropped after someone spent 3 months in jail, and the chief refusing to say why to reporters seems fishy

So if you were taken from your home, got thrown in jail for three months and then had the charges dropped you would be happy with the performance of your small town PD? http://www.adn.com/2010/08/30/1431781/slain-officers-arrested-accused.html

I would really like to know why chargers were dropped after someone spent 3 months in jail, and the chief refusing to say why to reporters seems fishy

Taken from the above link:

...Sgt. Anthony Wallace referred to "mental health issues" when describing Marvin in an account of last year's arrest.

Here's what happened, he wrote:

The call began near midnight on Aug. 14, 2009, when a woman told police that Marvin had come into her Front Street home without permission.

The woman called to her husband for help. Marvin -- who looked "frazzled" and "stressed" -- snorted at the other man and left, the affidavit says.

Responding to the call, Wallace and Tokuoka went to Marvin's home and knocked on the door several times.

Marvin eventually stuck his head out and looked at Wallace. "The defendant groaned angrily at Officer Wallace and then slammed the door," the affidavit says.

The police could hear loud banging and other noises inside the home, but Marvin refused to come to the door again.

The officers contacted Jefferson Hankla, who was then Hoonah police chief, because of Marvin's "mental health issues," Wallace wrote. But before the police chief responded, Marvin appeared out of a dark alley. He charged at the officers, the affidavit says.

The police drew their guns. Tokuoka told Marvin to get on the ground and Wallace twice commanded him to stop.

Marvin refused. He grabbed Wallace's vest and tried to take the officer to the ground. An All-American wrestler in college, Wallace wrote that he took Marvin down instead. But the man continued to fight.

Tokuoka tried and failed to stop Marvin with a Taser, the affidavit said. Tokuoka fell to his back and kicked Marvin in the chest as Marvin continued to attack, police wrote.

Wallace subdued Marvin using a Taser and putting him in a thigh lock. Police wrote that Marvin continued to battle as they put him in handcuffs.

Marvin was charged with criminal trespass, fourth-degree assault on a police officer and resisting arrest.

So lessee here...crazy guy invades someone's home, cops are called, cops attempt to question suspect at his home, suspect/crazy guy fights with cops and looses, a year later crazy guy shoots cops cause his manhood is all butt-hurt cause he lost fight...yup, I think that about sums it up.

Charges get dropped all the time for a bunch of reasons, for all we know their prosecutor decided to drop the charges because of this poor misunderstood guy's "mental problems". As far as him being in jail for three months before the charges were dropped, if the judge deemed him too much of a risk to release because of the nature of the incident (home invasion/assault on the police) or he just didn't have bail money, then so what? It's too bad one of the people in the house he broke into didn't ventilate his skull and save everybody a hell of a lot of grief. Out of sheer curiosity I would like to know why charges were dropped on this guy in the first place too, obviously he didn't belong out in society.

The chief may have been cutting the guy some slack and doesn't want the blame for these deaths on him. In small towns they don't care about your "record". There is no need for that type of big city paper tiger. They deal with things differently and that is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Although I agree that he should be held accountable for what he did, I find it odd that the same two officers who had that encounter with him a year ago happen to (randomly) meet in front of his house, in an area that I would expect to have houses spread pretty far apart. Could be complete coincidence though.

So it was okay for this guy to kill 2 cops?

Never said that. I said there seems to be a lot of the story missing. as was pointed out by Teknatic1 seems seems to be a strange coincidence the same two officers happened to stop in front of his house to chat even though one was off duty.

I know it seems unbelievable to think that a police officer my behave inappropriately while performing their duties or that they might harass an individual. And I know it would be hard to believe that a news agency would report anything with a slant or bias, or even omit information from a story after all police and the media are above reproach.

That like calling a meeting between Andy and Barney in front of Floyd's barber Shop a "strange coincidence".

"The same two officers" is half the force (including the chief), and Front St is the main road in Hoonah, right on the waterfront, with a couple of dozen houses tops. It's a small town.

Never said that. I said there seems to be a lot of the story missing. as was pointed out by Teknatic1 seems seems to be a strange coincidence the same two officers happened to stop in front of his house to chat even though one was off duty.

I know it seems unbelievable to think that a police officer my behave inappropriately while performing their duties or that they might harass an individual. And I know it would be hard to believe that a news agency would report anything with a slant or bias, or even omit information from a story after all police and the media are above reproach.

I understand the whole question authority argument and things seem suspicious but i'd wager 99% of the stories like this that get posted here has someone calling it fishy. All things being equal isn't it just as likely the perp had it out for these two cops based on prior run ins?

Yeah growing up and spending most of my free time in small town Cannan NH I have no clue what a small town is like or what sort of power trips small town cops can get with their "respect my authority" mentality, I mean it never happens. I am not saying what happened to the two officers is justified I am saying there is more to this story. just like the Bruce McKay and Liko Kenney story. there are three sides to every story.

Oh yeah, cops always "harass" and "behave inappropriately" while they have their mother with them on a ride along. Not to mention when they're off duty with their wife and kids...gmafb...[rolleyes]

Attachments

• Conspiracy Fail.jpeg
    Conspiracy Fail.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 10
Yeah growing up and spending most of my free time in small town Cannan NH I have no clue what a small town is like or what sort of power trips small town cops can get with their "respect my authority" mentality, I mean it never happens. I am not saying what happened to the two officers is justified I am saying there is more to this story. just like the Bruce McKay and Liko Kenney story. there are three sides to every story.

Just cause you had a bad experience with one cop, or the whole force, that makes all cops across the whole wide world power tripping, respect seekers, i don't think so. The premise of your argument is also used by liberal gun grabbers cause some whack job took a shot a Regan.

Back
Top Bottom