SKS Upper Handguard

Probably a realy dumb question but....

How do I get the upper hand guard off my Yugo. I can see what looks like a pin through one of the handgaurd end caps but can not figure out if that comes out some how with resorting to a drill or saw. I am putting a plastic stock on but want to make sure i can go back to the wood if I don't like the tactical look on the old classic. Thanks for any help. I have stared at this thing to no avail it won't come off by itself...

You'll probably be better off getting a new upper handguard with a piston tube already installed. You CAN get the gas tube in and out of the handguard, but its a PITA from what I've seen.

Thanks. I did get it to that point of removing the gas tube ok. But what I am struggling with is getting the hunk of wood off so I can replace it with the matching piece that came with the black synthetic stock. I have not seen this step covered. Not even in the instructions for the stock.

Thanks all for the info. Gooman hit the nail on the head or gas tube pin as the case may be. After reading this instruction it seems that I was heading down the path with the similar initial results of the author. Moral of the story just go back and bang on the pin some more. I have bookmarked both of the referenced sights for future reference. I picked up an old ATI stock and the instructions do not have that little pin diagram call out in it. I bet they got plenty of questions about that step.

I love the responses on here when you have any questions just ask and you will hear from folks that have been there before.

Bob, there is a roll pin that is blended onto the metal ferrule at the end. Just sand down the sides and you'll see the outline of the pin.

8.jpg

Thanks Chris. I have had the lower stock on for about a year and the black/wood combo is klugey looking so I want the wooden part changed. I fought with that pin for about an hour on the first round and finaly figured it was not meant to come out but now I see it does come out it is just a PITA. So I will beat it into submission.

You leaving your stocks stock?

I've been trying to refinish them accordingly to their historical counterparts. I just stripped the shellac off an M44 and baked the cosmo out of it in today. Looking up the right shellac to use and I'll get it re-done hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

You can see it in the bottom of my cosmoline removal oven.

DSC_0523.jpg

Also, make sure you knock the pin out in the right direction. It can only go one way, I ground mine off and ended up replacing it with a nail.

Back
Top Bottom