SKS Problems!!!

Kar98 Sniper

Banned
I bought an Yugoslavian M59/66 from Four Seasons. [smile]

I went to the range for the first time. [smile]

I fired my Yugo for the first time. [smile]

It didn't eject the spent casing. [hmmm] [thinking] [shocked]

[angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry]

I had to manually pull the action backwards after each shot to eject the spent casing. After having to do this about 10 or more times, I just packed up and went home. [sad2]

Can I expect Four Seasons to help me fix this issue? This is the first time I have fired the weapon. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem is, and what I should do to fix it? [thinking]

Most likely it just needs a new gas valve, its a common problem. They used to shoot corosive ammo and most did not know how/care enough to clean the valve. As a result most are pitted real bad and do not hold a seal. Do a google search for one, shouldnt be more than $20 .

Could also be a dirty chamber, make sure you clean all of the cosmoline out of it. Cause if you dont it will cause the case to stick in the chamber and extraction will be difficult if even possible. Having a bad gas valve will make this even worse. Also be sure to clean out the piston too.

Where front site ladder for the grenade laucher folds up on top of the barrel you will see a round circular thing which is slotted in the gas tube. There are 2 positions which it can be placed. one for semi-auto and the other for grenade launch mode. YOu need to move it to the left and rearwards to get it into semi-mode.

OR simply go on youtube and search SKS cleaning to get a nice video which will walk you through it.

If the switch is in the wrong position, it defeats the gas system so the gas will propel the grenade. If all the gas is exiting through the barrel, the action won't cycle.

If the gas valve is directly vertical, and you can move the grenade sight into position, the rifle is in "bolt action mode". If so, push down, and rotate the valve to the right until it stops.

...and if the gas valve is clean, make sure it locks into its detent when pushed to the right...if it isn't clicked into place it will "walk" when you fire, closing the valve and failing to cycle. Learned that one the hard way.

Then, once it's cycling properly be ready to enjoy the hell out of your SKS!

I agree on the need to totally disassemble and clean ANY milsurp rifle you get BEFORE you try to fire it, to make sure you won't get slam fires from stuck firing pins, etc. from cosmoline left

Maybe you did that, but I didn't see that listed in the steps you listed in the initial post.

I think I found the problem! I think that round circular switch was just in the wrong position. Thanks everybody for their assistance. Can't wait to go down to the range again and give it another whirl.

Hopefully this time I'll be able to unleash the semi-automatic capabilities of the M59/66.

[mg]

You were all correct. I just had to switch over the circular switch near the launcher sights.

I went to the range today and the M59/66 ejected spent cartridges without a problem.

Thanks again!

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom