Sizing brass for new upper

The consensus seems to be to push the shoulder back .003. I have a bunch of once fired brass(old upper) I'm going to load for a new upper. Do i leave die as is, reset to SAAMI min,, or fire a few to get new readings? This is for XTC match ammo (AR .223) but I'm not a top level shooter by any means. All comments welcomed.

Either size it to SAAMI 0, or fire a few rounds from the new upper, measure, and size accordingly.

If the uppers are in spec and of decent quality, you'll likely find little difference.

Thanks Jim, that"s what I thought (Mass Reloading trained). They're RRA and WOA uppers both with Wylde chambers. The new upper has a 26" barrel as opposed to the original 20". Does this present any pressure/load issues?

Either size it to SAAMI 0, or fire a few rounds from the new upper, measure, and size accordingly.

If the uppers are in spec and of decent quality, you'll likely find little difference.
I purchased the rcbs precision mic for my RRA NM rifle.
Few things I ran into when trying to get a minimum set back for my AR. 1. I had to sort my brass as it did not all react the same. ex. I had som ppu that would expand aprox .004 after firing compared to the unfired round. I was setting back my should .003 with the LC brass before.
So you might want to check the before shooting brass dimensions then compare to the fired brass. My issue was the bolt did not want to close completly with the PPU brass after resizing with the dies set to the LC specs.
once I sorted my brass and stayed with the LC I had zero issues again. Now i have gotten lazy again and since my AR will out shoot me with even the worst ammo and I have a practice rifle now I just set my dies up to 0 saami spec for all my AR loading.

Back
Top Bottom