Size difference in the Sig P226 and P229

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out the size difference between the P226 and P229 (railed models). I know the slide and barrel are longer on the 226, but, is that it? No one seems to have any side-by-side comparisons showing dimensions of the two, and I only have a P229 to play with. Thanks!

Will this help- From the Sig website http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogCategory.aspx?categoryid=1

Sig 226
Item Number E26R-9-TSS
Caliber 9mm, 40S&W, 357SIG
Trigger Pull DA/SA 10.0 lbs/4.5. lbs
Overall Length 7.70”
Overall Height 5.50”
Overall Width 1.50”
Barrel Length 4.40”
Sight Radius 6.30”
Sights SIGLITE® Night Sights
Weight w/ Mag 34.0 oz
Mag Capacity 9mm 10, 15 or 20
Mag Capacity .357SIG/.40S&W 10 or 12 Rounds
Grips Black Polymer Factory Grips
MSRP $1,058.00
CA Compliant Yes
MA Compliant Yes

Sig 229
Item Number E29R-9B (9mm) E29R-40B (.40S&W) E29R-357-BSS (.357SIG)
Caliber 9 mm, .357SIG, .40S&W
Trigger Pull DA/SA 10.0 lbs / 4.5 lbs
Overall Length 7.10”
Overall Height 5.40”
Overall Width 1.50”
Barrel Length 3.9”
Sight Radius 5.70"
Sights Contrast, SIGLITE® Night Sights available
Weight w/ Mag 32.4 oz
Mag Capacity 9mm 10 or 13 Rounds
Mag Capacity .357 SIG 10 or 12 Rounds
Mag Capacity .40 S&W 10 or 12 Rounds
Finish Nitron®
Grips Black Polymer Factory Grips
MSRP $929, $1000 w/ Night Sights
CA Compliant Yes
MA Compliant Yes

I have both. I assume you have the 229? So to compare: the 226 is actually only .6" longer than the 229. They have identical widths, the 226 is about 1/10" of an inch taller and the 226 barrel is 1/2" longer.

Now I've just told you that they are within an inch of each other and on paper they are almost identical, but the whereas the 226 is definitely a full-size pistol, the 229 is mid-side rather than compact. Yet, oddly enough, the 229 is a lot more comfortable to carry than the paper dimensions would suggest.

I love them both. I will never be without at least one of each model. But I don't carry the 226 often instead I carry my 229 (Well, now it's my HK .40 USP- Thanks again for that deal Greg!) I've always preferred mid-size to compact simply because I like shooting them more.

Ask Clinotus what carrying the P226 is like daily, I believe he carries the 226 in .40.

I have both. I assume you have the 229? So to compare: the 226 is actually only .6" longer than the 229. They have identical widths, the 226 is about 1/10" of an inch taller and the 226 barrel is 1/2" longer.

Now I've just told you that they are within an inch of each other and on paper they are almost identical, but the whereas the 226 is definitely a full-size pistol, the 229 is mid-side rather than compact. Yet, oddly enough, the 229 is a lot more comfortable to carry than the paper dimensions would suggest.

I love them both. I will never be without at least one of each model. But I don't carry the 226 often instead I carry my 229 (Well, now it's my HK .40 USP- Thanks again for that deal Greg!) I've always preferred mid-size to compact simply because I like shooting them more.

Ask Clinotus what carrying the P226 is like daily, I believe he carries the 226 in .40.

I have both and in full agreement with this. It is a mid sized that carries like a compact.

Isn't the grip size different? Maybe the same width but the 229 is much easier from my hands. Shorter from front to backstrap?

With all that, the frames are almost identical? Is the trigger guard the same size and shape on both? (Still in reference to the railed frame models)

asimplekiss.jpg

bunkbeds.jpg

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out the size difference between the P226 and P229 (railed models). I know the slide and barrel are longer on the 226, but, is that it? No one seems to have any side-by-side comparisons showing dimensions of the two, and I only have a P229 to play with. Thanks!

Any particular purpose? If you're going to conceal, consider the P229. The P226 is a big piece. Good candidate for open carry or home defense. YMMV.

Isn't the grip size different? Maybe the same width but the 229 is much easier from my hands. Shorter from front to backstrap?

Maybe a little bit. There are multiple versions of each so you may have shot an older P22X and a newer P22Y.

With all that, the frames are almost identical? Is the trigger guard the same size and shape on both? (Still in reference to the railed frame models)

Yes, but the shape of the trigger guards is different on non-rail models. I think you mentioned both being railed models so there should be no difference.

Edit: See clinotus' post. He has a non-rail 229 with Houge grips and a non-rail 226 with std grips. The different grips makes a big difference so ignore those areas but focus on the frames. They are virtually identical. He has a newer p226 since you can see the different trigger guard but no rail. He can verify the 226 is newer than the 229, but I am pretty sure that will be the case.

Last edited:
FWIW P229 and P226 frames are very different animals in terms of how they feel in one's hand.

If you have big hands a P226 will probably be more manageable because you will be less likely to crush your pinky in-between the magazine floorplate and one of the grip panels. [laugh] I think the P226 grip circumference is also larger by a tad.

They'll both be a pain to conceal, but a lot of that can be mitigated with a good holster and belt. This is obviously subjective. [wink]

-Mike

Edit: See clinotus' post. He has a non-rail 229 with Houge grips and a non-rail 226 with std grips.

You have it backwards- in Clinotus's pics above, The P229 has factory stock
panels on it and the P226 has the Hogues on it.

-Mike

I have a P229 railed and I was just trying to figure out if the Insight contoured switch, which is designed for the P226 railed model will fit. I just got an Insight M6X and I wanted the contoured switch for it, which runs along the bottom of the trigger guard and when I asked Insight, they said basically "We don't really know, it's only designed for the P226."

Back
Top Bottom