Silly TNH Op-ed

As college students we are statistically more likely to binge drink and suffer from depression or other mental illnesses than many other age demographics. I see bar fights turning into fatal shootouts, and a distressed student making a rash and irreversible decision to end their life - this is not a crowd of people I want to see armed.

Let's let the professionals do their job.

Helen Hocknell
Editor-in-Chief

Yes, because that policy of using the law (or "rules") to disarm people lawfully carrying firearms has worked so well in the past... [rolleyes]

And as usual, the morons like the bitch that wrote this article fail to cite the non-existent problems which have arisen from places where it already is or has been legal to carry at colleges.

-Mike

Gun Haters

People who hate guns,or maybe I should say fear guns will never change their minds,no more than people who fear dogs.There will always be unstable people wherever you go.Unfortunatly,a lot of these fraidycats are in D.C. and in politics.[frown]

Helen Hocknell is off to a promising career as either Editor-In-Chief of the Boston Globe or Recipe Reporter at the Suburban Shopper.

These are just dumb, priviliged kids mostly. Regardless of her position on firearms, her final statement "Let's let the professionals do their job" is pretty stupid in light of the fact law enforcement was late to the party at VT and NIU.

She needs a better thought out solution.

As college students we are statistically more likely to binge drink and suffer from depression or other mental illnesses than many other age demographics. I see bar fights turning into fatal shootouts, and a distressed student making a rash and irreversible decision to end their life - this is not a crowd of people I want to see armed.

Let's let the professionals do their job.

Helen Hocknell
Editor-in-Chief
So where is the big push towards the abolition of alcohol on college campuses? If that is in fact the huge problem that Helen says it is. Never mind that it is in fact legal for some students to purchase and possess alcohol, it OBVIOUSLY is the root of many of the problems on campus so NO ONE should be allowed to possess it in any form. I mean, it will cause shootouts, fights, depression and death - and last time I checked the age to possess a handgun and the age to possess a beer were the same...got to get all these illegal beers off of campus!

I replied to that blog:

Well, I see some pretty rampant ignorance of the facts here.

I guess most of you that think self defense is a bad idea don't realize Washington, DC is the least armed city in the US, and has the highest homicide rate. Ironically, one state (my state, Vermont) has never required a permit to carry an handgun. And, that state has about the lowest crime rate in the country. It's adjacent to 2 states that have draconian firearms laws, and they have mucher higher crime (and homicide) rates. Know why the crime rate is low? Criminals are actually afraid of getting shot, while in the commission of a crime. Check the statistics for Northern NH, and you'll find crime is low there, as almost everybody is armed at home.

Is, emotions are NO substitute for research and realistic statistics. England is far more dangerous than the US. Call 911 for the Police? They are NOT legally required to respond (per court decisions), they are obligated to eventually investigate the crime. If they respond immediately, they likely will get there in time to call the coroner for you.

Even being a US soldier in Iraq is safer than being a resident of DC.

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of 2,112 deaths, when this was written) that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers. The firearm death rate in Washington D. C. is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. (...and that was while handguns were outlawed!!)

Imagine that! Being a soldier in Iraq is safer than being a resident of DC.

If you want to be unarmed, that is YOUR choice. I respect that. But, you have NO right to take my choice from me. If you don't like NH law or the application of those laws, exercise your right to move elsewhere.

And a final word.

Criminals, by definition, do NOT obey laws. So, no law is going to stop a criminal from illegally carrying and using a handgun to take your life. There are no "gun free zones", as they are really "criminal protection zones", where no law abiding citizen has the means to stop a crime.

So where is the big push towards the abolition of alcohol on college campuses? If that is in fact the huge problem that Helen says it is. Never mind that it is in fact legal for some students to purchase and possess alcohol, it OBVIOUSLY is the root of many of the problems on campus so NO ONE should be allowed to possess it in any form. I mean, it will cause shootouts, fights, depression and death - and last time I checked the age to possess a handgun and the age to possess a beer were the same...got to get all these illegal beers off of campus!

She's a tool, she basically admits her readership is a bunch of alcoholic and hormone driven losers and then she says "...this is not a crowd of people I want to see armed."

I can't believe her mom and dad don't proofread her shit before it gets published.

She's a tool, she basically admits her readership is a bunch of alcoholic and hormone driven losers and then she says "...this is not a crowd of people I want to see armed."

I can't believe her mom and dad don't proofread her shit before it gets published.

+1 or in politics![thinking]

Back
Top Bottom