Sigs in .45

My P229 is in 40 and my P226 and future P224 (when i can get one in MA or when I move to VT whichever comes first) are in 9mm. So, I am wondering what my next Sig should be? I want a .45 to round out my collection. So between the P220 and the newerr P227 what do people think?

The P220 gets very little love in MA because it's on the list, so nobody wets their drawers thinking about it...however IMHO the P220 is an awesome full size .45 handgun. I love shooting it. Here's why:

1. Reliable. I am yet to encounter a stoppage of any kind. It shoots any and all .45acp ammo I have put into it.
2. Super thin, similar grip thickness to a 1911, which makes it easy to shoot for small handed folks like my wife.
3. Exceedingly accurate. At 25+ yards the gun is very capable....more capable than me.
4. 10 round mags are easily acquired and fit nicely. Also the P220 mags are top notch quality, although they're kinda pricy.

I am in no way knocking the P227. It's also gorgeous. If I lived in a free state I would consider getting one just to have the 14 round capacity option. However living in MA the question I ask myself is would I rather have a long single stack 10 round mag (i.e. P220) or a thicker gripped 10 round double stack mag (i.e. P227).

Also the P220 carry models can be carried IWB. I've never tried it but I've seen people do it and they seem to get by just fine. The thinner girp also makes for easier carry. I think of the P220 as a hybrid between the 1911's approximate size and a typical Sig ergo/layout.

That all being said, when the P320 is released in .45acp I think it will ruin the .45acp market for good seeing as the P320 is probably the finest striker gun I've encountered....but that's a separate topic all together so I'll shut up.

Last edited:
I keep my Series 70 Colt because of what it is. I haven't shot it in years.

I have a handful of Sigs because I like them and the 220 is an outstanding item. I have no need for a 14 round gun as the size would never work in my hand.

I have a P220 in.45 that I will never get rid of. It runs great, easy to clean, and fits me well. It is way more accurate than I am. I like it so much, that my next gun will be the 9mm version of it, the P226.

If you really want a sig in .45 nothing is gonna touch a folded slide, proof marked P220. The newer ones... meh.

-Mike

Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings, but if you ring two bells at once they also get a Sig P220.

I have and have had several P220's, full size and compact (and a P245) "folded slide and proof marked" as well as late 90's and post 2010 models.

Shot them all a bunch. Not a single issue that wasn't mag related. The folded slides are better balanced but the machined slides are easily adapted to, in my experience.

I haven't fired a P227 but I have held one. It felt good in the hand for a double stack but still a little big (thick in the grip) to try to conceal. I rarely carry a full size P220 for similar reasons but it is easier to hide than a P227 would be.

Get a P220 and some good/reliable 8 round mags...or try a P220C (6+1) if you want to carry it on a regular basis (P220 Carry if you want 8+1).

Edit:

BTW...If you will be shooting it a lot, I would not go earlier than serial number G211300 (circa 1993) as prior models do not have the reinforced frame that Sig introduced at that point.

Last edited:
Anybody have experience with both the P220 Compact and the out-of-production P245? Only heard good things about the P245, but don't know anybody that owns or owned a P220 Conpact.

The full size P220 is great for the range and home but not so much for CCW.

I sold my P226 and was missing it so I bought a P220... Love it. Very accurate and built like a tank.

Anybody have experience with both the P220 Compact and the out-of-production P245? Only heard good things about the P245, but don't know anybody that owns or owned a P220 Conpact.

i have toyed w idea of the P220 compact many times. however it's still heavy as shit and no thinner than a standard P220. the melt job that sig does looks nice but also kills the # of holster options. also it's a 6+1 and IMO if i'm that limited on rounds why not just get a Kahr P45 which handles the 45acp quite nicely in my hands.

that being said I've never handled or fired the P220 compact. not the carry model w shorter barrel, but actually the compact SAS model. sure looks nice so i shouldn't criticize it too much until i actually shoot the damn thing.

BTW i think the $200 sig store credit promotion for P220 purchase would apply to the P220 compact....so if you're contemplating it I would say go for it sometime before July 31.

that being said I still love the P220. my wife shoots it incredibly well. it took her a while to get accustomed to the sig decocker and slide release but nowadays she's all over it. i think the P220 would appeal to any female due to slim grip along the lines of a 1911.

Is the Sig 220 carry MA approved? Sig website says Yes to CA, no to MA. Is that up to date? As I recall, the 220 full size was recently approved.

I finally got a 220 after years of thinking about it. Got mine off a forum member. It's a full size, see no way to carry it comfortably due to weight, but at the range it's a nice shooting and very accurate pistol. I am very glad I got it. Very nice 45. I would think a compact built like this one would still be too heavy to carry very comfortably though. Never seen a 220 compact.

See post #8 in this thread. I think I covered it.

Although in my edit re the full size P220, it should have read " if you will be shooting it with +P or hot loads", not just "shooting it alot".

Last edited:
The Sig website states:

220 Carry (45ACP): 7.1 length, 5.5 Height, 1.5 width, 30.4 ounces w/mag, 8 Rounds (Single Stack)
227 Carry (45ACP): 7.1 length, 5.5 Height, 1.5 Width, 30.5 ounces w/ mag, 10 rounds (Double Stack)

Are there any functional or design differences with these 2 guns? It would stand to reason the single stack (220) would/should weigh less and be demonstrably thinner. I must be missing something.

The Sig website states:

220 Carry (45ACP): 7.1 length, 5.5 Height, 1.5 width, 30.4 ounces w/mag, 8 Rounds (Single Stack)
227 Carry (45ACP): 7.1 length, 5.5 Height, 1.5 Width, 30.5 ounces w/ mag, 10 rounds (Double Stack)

Are there any functional or design differences with these 2 guns? It would stand to reason the single stack (220) would/should weigh less and be demonstrably thinner. I must be missing something.

if i'm not mistaken, slides are the same. only difference is grip w P227 being thicker. for the 1.5" thickness, i'm pretty sure they're measuring at the take-down lever, so the measurement they report may be the same.

i've never IWB'ed a P227 but the grip feels quite a bit thicker. it would probably be noticeable for IWB carry. OWB probably not so much. if one measured thickness at the grip, the P220 is certainly thinner....not by a whole lot but it is.

The Sig website states:

If I'm remembering right the P227 is not a true "double stack" as the P226 is. I believe Sig used a slight offset in the mags to accommodate 2 extra rounds (compared to the single stack 8 rd mags in the P220). So the grip is only slightly thicker than the P220.

In terms of "design change" the P227 (most versions) have the E2 grips which reduce the circumference of the grip by changing the shape of the backstrap, but as far as I could tell when handling one did not eliminate the thicker feel of the grip. I have not seen the specs on the E2 grip on the P227 so I can't be sure how much thicker it is compared to a P220 with standard grips.

I've had the P220C SAS for a couple years and am very pleased with it. Good shooter and comfortable to carry IWB in my opinion. Using a R. Grizzle combo IWB / OWB rig and able to conceal under a loose T-shirt in summer.

As others mention, eats all types of ammo without a hiccup. Besides liking Sigs, one of my deciding factors was the ability to shoot non-jacketed projectiles. I really like the SRT too.

I've had the P220C SAS for a couple years and am very pleased with it. Good shooter and comfortable to carry IWB in my opinion. Using a R. Grizzle combo IWB / OWB rig and able to conceal under a loose T-shirt in summer.

As others mention, eats all types of ammo without a hiccup. Besides liking Sigs, one of my deciding factors was the ability to shoot non-jacketed projectiles. I really like the SRT too.

How is the "melt job" that sig describes? Is the gun noticeable smoother/rounded off? The pics look cool but i have never fondled one.

How is the "melt job" that sig describes? Is the gun noticeable smoother/rounded off? The pics look cool but i have never fondled one.

I like it. Smooth in and out of the holster, which is by preference pretty stiff- horsehide and elephant trim. Occasionally in the winter I will pocket carry in a big parka, and it doesn't snag on anything.

The melt job on the slide is quite noticeable when comparing to a standard P220.

my 220.
proof mark places date of 1994, west german markings

Nice!

Though I'm happy with my USA made P220C, it doesn't quite have the 'Swiss watch' feel of the earlier German ones when racking the slide or for small things like the decocker. That '94 looks mint!

Before the Sig haters chime in, I will say that my trigger on my NH 220 is excellent and it's a great gun overall.

I have a P220 made in Germany and it's the most accurate out of the box .45 auto I own. I've also shot several Sig 1911s and they were quite accurate. The 220 is slightly thicker than a 1911 and therefore not as easy to conceal. The 220 is also a double action.

Nice!

Though I'm happy with my USA made P220C, it doesn't quite have the 'Swiss watch' feel of the earlier German ones when racking the slide or for small things like the decocker. That '94 looks mint!

Before the Sig haters chime in, I will say that my trigger on my NH 220 is excellent and it's a great gun overall.

until i landed this pistol i was a dyed in the wool absolute 1911 guy.
this piece converted me.

Back
Top Bottom