Sighted in shotgun today

Viper22

NES Member
I was at SSC today sighting in my H&R 20 ga. Ultra Slug Hunter. This target was shot at 50 yds w/ 3 slugs, off an improvised rest (range bag).

I think it'll do just fine for deer.[smile]

sight_in_-_slug_gun.jpg

Nice shots.

I bought an extra barrel this fall for my Remington 870 12 ga.

I have the combo with the rifled sight barrel for hunting, and the smooth bore. My wife is going to use it this fall one day and her eyes aren't as good so I bought a Hastings cantilvered rifled barrel for her. Got a Trulock 4x scope at the same time. She's practiced twice with it. Looks like a good addition.

Dana

Obviously you did not shoot it at 100 yards. It should be dead on at 50 to be in the ballpark at 100. You are 2-3 inches low at 50 which will put you totally below the deer at 100. I shot mine yesterday. A tad high (maybe 1/2 inch) at 50 and all shots inside the 4" orange square at 100.

Obviously you did not shoot it at 100 yards. It should be dead on at 50 to be in the ballpark at 100. You are 2-3 inches low at 50 which will put you totally below the deer at 100. I shot mine yesterday. A tad high (maybe 1/2 inch) at 50 and all shots inside the 4" orange square at 100.

Arlow, You're correct. I sighted in at the 50. While I'm still a few inches low at 50, it'll do. I'm not going to take any shots out to 100 yards. The section of woods I'll be hunting, you can't even see that far.

But since we're having this conversation, how many clicks should I go up to gain the 2 to 3 inches at 50 yds & be on at 100? Knowing this will make it easier to sight in again at 50 and 100 yds...

Thanks

Arlow, You're correct. I sighted in at the 50. While I'm still a few inches low at 50, it'll do. I'm not going to take any shots out to 100 yards. The section of woods I'll be hunting, you can't even see that far.

But since we're having this conversation, how many clicks should I go up to gain the 2 to 3 inches at 50 yds & be on at 100? Knowing this will make it easier to sight in again at 50 and 100 yds...

Thanks

Depends on your scope. Some dedicated shotgun scopes are 1/2 inch a click at 100 yards and some are a 1/4. It will tell you on the turrets after you take the covers off which it is.

At 50 yards you have to double the amount of clicks to get the same amount of adjustment you would get at 100 yards.

So if you need to raise the impact point two inches at 50 yards it equates to moving it 4 inches at 100. So that would translate to 16 clicks on a 1/4 inch click adjustment scope or 8 on a 1/2 inch click adjustment scope.

If I were you and you are able to get back to the range, I would. You never know when you might get that longer shot. I have shot several deer at 80 to 120 yards in the hardwoods with my shottie. It wont take you more than a couple boxes to dial in deadly at 100. Just get it dead center at 50 and you will be very close at 100. This will allow you to put the crosshairs dead center on the deer anywhere from 10 yards to about 130 or so if you are using high velocity sabots. 18 to 1900 fps or so.

Right now, I'm using Lightfield 2 3/4 Sabots, at 1500 fps.

I've already put 4 boxes through it, at $14 a box.....I don't know how many more I want to waste.....It shouldn't be many more though.....maybe one or two?

If this matters at all to the adjustment, I'm using a Bariska red-dot with no magnification.

If the clicks work you won't need to shoot more. If they are off a bit you might need to shoot a few more.

If you think you will shoot around 50 yards and you don't want to adjust for 100 yards you can adjust the aim point to compensate for the scope adjustment Arlow mentioned.

I practice at 50 and 100 yards, but I agree with you. Wooded places I'm at don't offer 100 yard shots.

Dana

Right now, I'm using Lightfield 2 3/4 Sabots, at 1500 fps.

I've already put 4 boxes through it, at $14 a box.....I don't know how many more I want to waste.....It shouldn't be many more though.....maybe one or two?

If this matters at all to the adjustment, I'm using a Bariska red-dot with no magnification.

I use the 3" lightfield commanders at 1850 fps. You will probably have to go a little high at 50 with the 2 3/4 to be right there at 100. Just get it dead on at 50 and then aim a couple inches high on the target at 100 to ensure you hit it and you can adjust from there.

You very well could get by with only a few rounds to get you fixed up right.

Start with bringing it up 2". I am going to assume the impact on the left was a flyer so your center looks good. So that should bring you right dead on at 50.

I know the pain of sighting in with sabots but once it is done you are generally all set.

Last edited:
I use the 3" lightfield commanders at 1850 fps. You will probably have to go a little high at 50 with the 2 3/4 to be right there at 100. Just get it dead on at 50 and then aim a couple inches high on the target at 100 to ensure you hit it and you can adjust from there.

You very well could get by with only a few rounds to get you fixed up right.

Start with bringing it up 2". I am going to assume the impact on the left was a flyer so your center looks good. So that should bring you right dead on at 50.

I know the pain of sighting in with sabots but once it is done you are generally all set.

Right again Arlow, the flyer on the left was all me. I'll crank up the elevation enough for 2". My very last chance to get to the range is Thursday morning or Friday morning. If I screw up my zero then, I'll have to resort to the Mossberg 500...I really, REALLY not want to have to use the 500. I'd much rather use the H&R, as it shoulders much easier for me.

For what it's worth, here is a trick I use with my rifle scope. You should be able to get that group centered with 3 shots without needing to count clicks.

First, bring the used target you show here back to the range and set it up at the same distance.
Put 3 shots in the gun.
Set the gun in the rest and make sure the crosshairs are centered on the bullseye and the gun is secure in the rest.

Next, with your eye looking through the scope at the center of the bullseye, CAREFULLY adjust the windage and elevation towards the original grouping WITHOUT moving the gun or rest at all. You will be able to see the crosshairs move while the gun stays still as you go through the clicks.

Stop when the crosshairs appear in the center of the group you last shot on the target.

Now, adjust the REST so the scope crosshairs are now back on the center of the bullseye.

Pull trigger. You should have a similar group in the center of the target.

I have used this method once I am on paper for my rifles and it has worked every time. Once in a while I have to make one more adjustment as stated above, but only if I am being really picky.

Last edited:
New to sighting in Shotgun

Hey guys,

This post has been helpful. I was curious if anyone had any basic tips on sighting in a shotgun. I recently purchased a rifled shotgun barrel for my Mossberg 935 and a Nikon Pro Staff 2x7x32 scope. This will be my first deer hunting season and would like to have my tools working the best they can. I haven't had a chance to make it to my local range yet but will do so this Saturday or Sunday. I'd like to have it sighted dead on at atleast 50 yards but be able to be accurate at 100yards. Thanks for any tips un advance.

I'm heading back out to SSC hopefully tomorrow morning. I'll work on bringing the zero at 50 to where it should be. Then see how my accuracy at 100 is.

Hey guys,

This post has been helpful. I was curious if anyone had any basic tips on sighting in a shotgun. I recently purchased a rifled shotgun barrel for my Mossberg 935 and a Nikon Pro Staff 2x7x32 scope. This will be my first deer hunting season and would like to have my tools working the best they can. I haven't had a chance to make it to my local range yet but will do so this Saturday or Sunday. I'd like to have it sighted dead on at atleast 50 yards but be able to be accurate at 100yards. Thanks for any tips un advance.

Its like taking steps. Shoot it real close first. No more than 20 yards. Get it close to center and then move to 50. Get 50 dead center and then move to 100. Fine tune it at 100 to dead center and then your ready to go hunt. Once sighted dead on at 100 any deer between you and 125 yards you can just put the crosshair on the middle of the chest and be assured if you execute properly the bullet will be in the kill zone.

What are you planning on using for slugs?

Back
Top Bottom