Sig shoots low?

I just got a sig239 with sig nite sights.I never shot a sig but it appears to shoot low.The front sight has to be at the top of the black to get it in the black.If aimed at the bottom of the black at 30 feet it is 5 inches low.Now I do understand that it could be me broken but the gun seems easy enough to shoot.It doesnt matter if its on the double or single action too.Just wondering if anyone has ideas, thanks

It's been a long time since I had my 239, but I believe it did the same thing. If you have the manual, it'll mention this in there. Unlike other guns where you put the front sight directly under the bullseye, with the Sig you need to cover the bullseye with the "dot" on the front sight.

Shoot heavier bullets. I ran into the same problem with a few of my fixed sight Smith revolvers. For example, with my Rossi .38, if I shot 110 grain +P loads at 15 yars, I'd be about 3/4 of an inch to an inch and a half low. when I stepped up to 158 grain loads, I was right on.

If you like the lighter bullets and you dont have night sights, you could file the front sight down, or perhaps your favorite gunsmith could install a taller rear sight, either option would bring the point of impact up.

I would suggest getting a bunch of different types of ammunition, and start firing groups. You will find something that will work better for you.

-Benny

Aim higher!

I think it has something to do with "combat sights" vs "target sights". I have a P226 and a P229 as well and they behave similarly.

Kimber,
Thats exactly what I'm talking about.I didnt know this,I do like the gun but compared to my 1911 or even the M&P the sights are totally different.Something I have to get use to it or finagle the sights a bit

What caliber is it?

My P239 with meprolights on it hits right on the top edge of the front sight, more or less.

My P229 with the SigLites on it is probably a little low, but I
don't think its as low as yours is. If it's really 5" at 30 feet, thats
way off.

Bullet weight can have some influence. Try 115 or 124 gr if
its a 9mm. If it's a .40, try 165 gr. If its a .357, you should
be around 125 gr.

If it's a .40/.357 P239, and you picked it up used, it's possible
the "wrong" sights could be on the gun, or you're using the "wrong"
barrel in it. The POI will definitely change between the two
calibers. The sights themselves can only be configured for one
or the other.

Have you fired the gun from a rest? (to eliminate at least one
possible axis of any possible shooter error?)

-Mike

Have you tried it from a bench rest? Have you had another experienced shooter try it?

If you still think it is the gun, shoot it for groups from a benchrest at 50' or 25 yards. Then take it to a gunsmith like Santurri or Derr. Either can probably take a couple thousandths off the top of the front site.

Or you could send it back to Sig and have them fix it. I did that with a 226.

Last edited:
Sounds like a matter of desired POA for combat vs. target sights.

As a friend of mine likes to say, "fortunately, humans are bilaterally symmetrical along a vertical axis."

I have the 239 in 9mm and did get it used but barely.They are factory siglites on it and no I havent fired it from the bench,that will be my next thing to do

Your pistol is not broken. With proper sight alignment the point of impact will be directly behind the front sight dot. So do not use a standard 6 o'clock hold. Instead cover the target with the front sight dot.
I worked on the range at Sig for a few years and have shot thousands of 239's. If you do as I said you'll be right on the money.

shoot it from a rest/sandbags just to be sure.

There have been a fair number of posts about SIGs shooting low like this. My 226 is dead on. There are different hight front posts. I suppose it is possible you have the wrong one in there.

Sig hanguns come with a couple of different sight heights look on the side of sight(s) 6/6, 6/8, second number is front sight height. Must be sure that your not pulling gun down when firing. Right hand you tend to shoot down and to the left. Talk to SIG they'll walk you through it. They make mistakes and install wrong front sight. Phone: (603) 772-2302 (press #3 for Customer Service)

Back
Top Bottom