• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Mosquito

I recall that Mosquitos were a little finicky a couple of years ago due to an interchangeable (recoil?) spring of some kind. I'm thinking of buying a new one, if they have ironed out whatever bug was causing the problem. Does anybody have a relatively new one, and are you satisfied with the reliability.

I bought one last June. It comes with the heavier spring installed.

It works fine with CCI mini-mags and Federal bulk. It hates remington bulk (golden) and absolutely hates winchester bulk. Hollow point seems to give the most trouble. I think the shape of the tip of the round causes it to hang up on the top of the chamber as it runs up the ramp. Atleast whenever I have a failure to feed, it is almost always hung high.

It is easy to clean, with only a few parts. Basically you end up with the slide, recoil spring and guide rod and the frame with barrel.
All that being said, I like it. It is not a target pistol, but is a good alternative to a full size semi-auto.
There is a lot of good help online.

I understand about the ammo. I'm looking to get some realistic practice in without blowing through all my 9mm and .40. I'd rather go through a few hundred rounds of .22 and then finish with a box of defensive caliber ammunition. Does the mosquito approximate the feel for real defensive practice?

my fiance has one of the newer ones, it actually likes the federal bulk packs better than the CCI mini-mags. Like bejay said, it is not a target pistol, but i own a P226 and i find it a great cheap training tool, it's a bit smaller than the P226 and has the same controls so it's a good cheap practice gun. It also has good weight to it, I've handled other .22 pistols (walther p22) and the mosquito has a better feel to it. the tac-rail is also good incase you want to practice with a tactical undermount flashlight/laser.

Last edited:
+1 For getting one.

I have a reverse two-tone and absolutely love it. I highly recommend it for the cost. Its a great shooter and gives you the feel for her bigger brothers. Clean her, lube her and shoot the right ammo and she's a charm to shoot. Best of luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom