Sig assembly help

I detailed stripped one of my sig 226's today and for some reason i can't get the slide to to go back on. The frame is all together and the slide is together but the feed ramp is catching on the "frame block" and I can't figure out why. If anyone has any idea what the problem might be I might be able to explain alittle better

Never had a problem, but make sure the slide release is in the proper position.

for some reason the barrel is contacting the locking insert and i can't figure out why.

Last edited:
Holding the slide assy. upsidedown in your hand, give the barrel lug a tap with a plastic hammer. If this does not work see if there are any burrs on the tips of the barrel feed ramp and remove them with a fine file or stone.

pin

I had a similar problem, may be this and maybe not. The pin
for tha hammer may be out just a little bit and will stop the slide.

Its easy to see if this is happening.

JimB

Its not the hammer pin without the barrel the slide goes on fine but when the barrel goes in it gets hung up

Try removing the take down lever and then put the slide on. It should slide freely until it is in battery. Do not rack the slide though without all parts. If it does not slide on then it is the lug hitting the take down lever.

When the locking insert is in its proper position the end closer to the trigger should be flush with the frame just behind the rails. Also the slot on your trigger pin should be horizontal (parallel to the barrel).

even with the take down lever out its still hanging up. I may have to take this to a gunsmith to get this worked out.

Is it a stock barrel? If not, some 'fitting' is usually required.

I'm not sure what else it could be. On my Sig 226 in 9 mm I have to push the barrel down at least 1/16" out of place for it to catch the front of the insert. My Sig is still very new though.

If you do take it to a gun smith let us know what the solution is!

Im coming dangerously close to this solution

pmb44 - before resorting to this solution, please contact me for safe removal and disposal of your sig![smile]

Seriously though - I'm thinking that your locking insert is not in properly somehow. Is there anyway you can post a picture or two. Someone might be able to spot the problem.

Is this 226 an elite? If so you need to decock it before the slide can go on.
If you're still having problems PM me. I work at SIG and know these pistols pretty well.

here are some pics hopefully this can help someone diagnos the problem

Sigmalfunction010.jpg

Sigmalfunction009.jpg

Sigmalfunction008.jpg

Sigmalfunction007.jpg

Sigmalfunction006.jpg

Sigmalfunction005.jpg

Sigmalfunction004.jpg

Sigmalfunction003.jpg

Sigmalfunction002.jpg

Sigmalfunction001.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed it looks to me like something is wrong with the xtractor and its keeping the barrel from locking up correctly. Is the xtractor in the correct position in the pictures?

The ejector could be an issue, but nothing including the ejector is obviously out of position as far as I can see. I have two of these guns and the pictures are consistent with how mine look.

The ejector should be against the left rail and mounted on the sear pin and the pin that holds the sear spring.

PM me. if you're reasonably close I'd be happy to take a look. I'm also a Sig Armorer and should quickly be able to fix your problem or determine that it needs to go back to Sig.

Last edited:
My Exeter, NH mfg 226 has a different style extractor so I'm not so sure exactly how your extractor should be positioned. Is yours a West German mfg? At one point the 226 had a 225 skinny extractor but now it has a 226 block extractor. If you go to a parts site you'll see there are two types.

Your locking insert looks positioned correctly. For what it's worth, on my 226 the rear of the barrel is nearly flush with the top of the slide--recessed by about 1/32". And like I said, I have to push my barrel down about 1/16" to make it contact the insert.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom