Sig 229 Stripping and Cleaning.

jon

I recently purchased a Sig 229 in .40 S&W. This is the first handgun I have owned as well as the first firearm. I have shot quite a bit with shotgun, blackpower, and .22 but never had my own.

Mainly I was wondering about lube as I have heard the Sigs are picky.

secondly I was wondering if there is a good description of detail stripping the sig. the field strip is easy enough. I jsut would like to be sure I only take apart things that I should. I have a good supply of normal and precision tools and I am very mechanically inclined.

Jon

I recently purchased a Sig 229 in .40 S&W. This is the first handgun I have owned as well as the first firearm. I have shot quite a bit with shotgun, blackpower, and .22 but never had my own.

You're going to love it.

Mainly I was wondering about lube as I have heard the Sigs are picky.

You heard right.

Secondly I was wondering if there is a good description of detail stripping the sig. the field strip is easy enough. I jsut would like to be sure I only take apart things that I should. I have a good supply of normal and precision tools and I am very mechanically inclined.

Jon

Don't even think about detail stripping the Sig P series pistols until you have watched the Sig Armorors' DVD.
Get you over to the Sig forum and read the posts on lubing, then find the DVD by Chris O. It's about $30 and worth every penny.

I just drop all my Sigs off once a year at Four Seasons. It's worth it He replaced 3 springs on my P226, 2 on my 225 and 2 on my 220 last time.

Full Service Package
FS price: $55 (Factory: $75 + shipping)

Full disassembly, detailed cleaning from the frame up, full inspection of critical components, replacement of springs prone to wear through use, reassembly & lubrication to factory specifications, perform manual function checks to verify mechanical operation.

Up at the SIG Academy, we used some kind of vegetable oil in the cleaning and lubing process after the training class. It was kinda odd.

I just drop all my Sigs off once a year at Four Seasons. It's worth it He replaced 3 springs on my P226, 2 on my 225 and 2 on my 220 last time.

Full Service Package
FS price: $55 (Factory: $75 + shipping)

Full disassembly, detailed cleaning from the frame up, full inspection of critical components, replacement of springs prone to wear through use, reassembly & lubrication to factory specifications, perform manual function checks to verify mechanical operation.

hows that any fun. I like doing my own work.

When I do it I have a lot of pieces left over. With my old eyes it's tough to see the little things.

Last edited:
not worried about it.

I just don't want to pull a pin that hold a factory set clearance in place, etc.

My job is designing mechanical devices of the same tolerance and more complexity. So the sig is no big worry for me.

In the manual, Sig specifically tells you to NEVER go beyond field stripping the firearm. It's cool that you're mechanically inclined but this thing is not a toy. I don't know who told you Sigs were "picky" but i've never heard that; especially about any P-series firearm. My 226 is a rockstar. The words I hear and use are always "reliable" and "durable". Sig recommends Tw25B Grease (It's the white lube that should already be on your 229[assuming you got it from Sig]). I keep a bottle of Hoppes Oil in my range bag and it works just fine when I need to use it.

Back
Top Bottom