Sig 224.

There's probably a reasonable chance these will be MA compliant at some point in the future. It also seems that maybe SIG is going back to their bread and butter (the classic line) instead of pursuing debacles like the P250, or so I'd like to hope.

sig-p224-ad.jpg

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/product-highlights/sig-sauer-p224/

Hope so, but isn't the P224 just a small P229 DAK (notice no decocker)? Currently, I think only the P22? DAKs in .40 are Mass compliant.

Hope so, but isn't the P224 just a small P229 DAK (notice no decocker)? Currently, I think only the P22? DAKs in .40 are Mass compliant.

Yes, it looks like a cut down 229.

I don't think any DAKs pass the AG BS. However, if you look at the frame just ahead of the slide release, you can see the indent for a decocker. The rumor mill is saying they'll have a DA/SA version as a follow on. Hopefully that happens.

Sadly I bet Sig screws this one up too.

Their track record of late has not been good. I love their old, traditional designs, but anything new leaves me cold, and they've had some reliability problems too.

- Sig 556... WTF were the thinking trying to introduce a non-standards based AR platform?

- Sig Mosquito... just not of good build quality and finicky with ammo... although mine shoots reliably with CCI high velocity.

- Sig C3 GSR 1911... the only firearm I've ever sold. It just jammed like crazy. And another attempt on their part to take a longterm standard design and make it their own

- Sig 250... enough said.

- Sig 238... lots of early reliability problems

I really like older Sigs. I have a 220, 226, 239, 228, 229, 232, Mosquito and multiple of some of these. Great design and build quality. But they've lost that IMHO.

[STRIKE=.]To add to the "they will screw it up" chorus, I am betting it doesn't take the P229 mags so it will require a different set of mags than your P229. So you can't carry this and a P229 with the same backup mag. With a Glock, you can carry a 32 with a 33 backup (or alternate between the two on different days) and use the same backup mag for both.[/STRIKE]

I stand corrected.
The P224 accepts newer P229 magazines, allowing users to carry a full-size spare magazine as a backup to the flush-fit P224 magazine. Law enforcement officers will appreciate not having to carry separate magazines solely for their backup guns

Nothing about the P226 working in these, but it's a start in the right direction.

Last edited:
Sadly I bet Sig screws this one up too.

Their track record of late has not been good. I love their old, traditional designs, but anything new leaves me cold, and they've had some reliability problems too.

- Sig 556... WTF were the thinking trying to introduce a non-standards based AR platform?

- Sig Mosquito... just not of good build quality and finicky with ammo... although mine shoots reliably with CCI high velocity.

- Sig C3 GSR 1911... the only firearm I've ever sold. It just jammed like crazy. And another attempt on their part to take a longterm standard design and make it their own

- Sig 250... enough said.

- Sig 238... lots of early reliability problems

I really like older Sigs. I have a 220, 226, 239, 228, 229, 232, Mosquito and multiple of some of these. Great design and build quality. But they've lost that IMHO.

I mostly agree. However, in a few cases they've corrected themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the 556 by "WTF were the thinking trying to introduce a non-standards based AR platform?". The 556 was a cheaped out version of the 551, more or less. They should have just introduced the 551 exactly as it is in Europe (minus full auto capability) but using standard AR mags. I believe they've since done this and given it the correct furniture.

The Mosquito is POS.

The latest GSRs are generally quite good. I have the latest version and it had to go back once to fix a too tight extractor. Since then it's been good.

Yes, the P250 was an abject failure.

Maybe I'm being naive but I have some hope. I do wish they'd lay off on the whole n number of versions with neon grips and all that BS. The worst example was the diamond plate 226. Ugh.

Haha, that Diamond Plate 226 was one of the most hideous guns I have seen in a long time. I sure hope the P224 DA/SA model comes out soon. I can use that for roaming around the house. :)

I agree some of their latest designs have not been up to par. That being said I love the 522! A blast to shoot, will shoot anything I feed it, and accurate as hell! They may have screwed up the mosquito but they hit a home run with this .22! Hopefully the 224 is just as good. I can always use another carry gun!

Any news on these becoming compliant? Everything I've seen on this looks great! I'm anxious to see (probably buy) one at a local dealer!

226 acceptance

Terraformer

In the NRA article about the 224 the author says that he tried a 226 mag in it and it worked I believe. I will try to look back after work and post on here.

"Either a P226 or P229 magazine will fit into and function in the short-butt P224. I tried all three types in my sample P224 with no problems." American Rifleman Pg 83

Last edited:
Every time I see the Sig 250 mentioned on here, I search to get a rundown of why it was so terrible. I don't think I've ever found an explanation. Actually, the reviews I read seem to be pretty good. I must be missing something. I'll probably shoot one soon enough since it might be a good piece for my fiance when her license comes through.

Love my 238, but I did acquire it much more recently. My dad's is much older and does occasionally have problems with a full mag + 1, but otherwise runs great. FWIW I freakin love that gun. I was shooting steel with it and doing well. I don't even want to admit how well my fiance was shooting it up in Manchester when we were using the automated target carriers to add some time pressure.

Will be interesting to see how this one comes out.

Every time I see the Sig 250 mentioned on here, I search to get a rundown of why it was so terrible. I don't think I've ever found an explanation. Actually, the reviews I read seem to be pretty good. I must be missing something. I'll probably shoot one soon enough since it might be a good piece for my fiance when her license comes through.

• It tried to be something it wasn't
  • The thing it wasn't, has vertical mag compatibility accross the platform. The P250 has no mag compatibility.
  • the p250 was ugly and not in that, "but I'd hit it anyway" kind of way.
  • The P250 was unbalanced
  • The P250 was a cheap plastic Sig instead of being a high quality polymer Sig.
  • The P250 looked like a 6 yr old modeled it in clay and left it half finished.

• It tried to be something it wasn't
  • The thing it wasn't, has vertical mag compatibility accross the platform. The P250 has no mag compatibility.
  • the p250 was ugly and not in that, "but I'd hit it anyway" kind of way.
  • The P250 was unbalanced
  • The P250 was a cheap plastic Sig instead of being a high quality polymer Sig.
  • The P250 looked like a 6 yr old modeled it in clay and left it half finished.

There were also a lot of reliability problems if web forums are to be believed. Plus they came in a distant last in some government contract.

There were also a lot of reliability problems if web forums are to be believed. Plus they came in a distant last in some government contract.

If reliability problems were terminal, Kimber would be out of business. Reliability can be fixed. Ugly and incompatible with yourself can't. Oh, I forgot, they came in one size and one size only. A lot of these government tests are faux torture tests which doesn't help, but no 1911 on the face of the planet can pass most of those torture tests yet it's the hottest thing going.

It has a crappy DAO trigger, without any kind of a short reset, for starters. In a full size pistol, this sucks, unless for some reason the buyer actually LIKES this kind of trigger. The couple I dry fired the first word that came to my mind was "meh". I feel the same way about free state M&P triggers too, but at least those can be repaired to dramatic improvement. With a P250 you are stuck with "meh" forever.

The pistol is also way too huge/fat for a polymer framed auto.

Even if we pretend there aren't any reliability issues (and there are probably horror stories on Sigforum somewhere) and say for arguments sake that the gun is reliable overall, then we still end up back at the looming question of "What does this gun get me that a Glock, an M&P, or a Springfield XD won't do much better? " Maybe price, considering that you can get a P250 on gunbroker for $400. That said, there are a bunch of mildly used Glocks and M&Ps not far from that price, either.

-Mike

That makes more sense to me. The crappiness always seemed kind of nebulous...could never pin it down. The trigger thing especially makes sense.

If reliability problems were terminal, Kimber would be out of business. Reliability can be fixed.

In a lot of cases, yes. However, it still affects reputation and therefore sales. As for Kimber, they've got lots of shiny to overcome the practical flaws.

That makes more sense to me. The crappiness always seemed kind of nebulous...could never pin it down. The trigger thing especially makes sense.

You might do well to try one yourself. I like mine just fine. On a whim one day I decided I needed an inexpensive 45. The P250 was $50 cheaper than a Ruger 345. I own revolvers so double action triggers aren't scarry. So far it has fed Win white box, federal, and tulammo without complaint. I've liked it enough that I just rec'd a 9mm caliber exchange kit for it (about $200). Cheaper range time with 9mm.

So far 4 friends have tried it and they are about split - 1 hated it, 1 said it was OK but he's not a DAO fan, 1 said he really liked it and the last one is going to buy one. You never know til you try it.

You might do well to try one yourself. I like mine just fine. On a whim one day I decided I needed an inexpensive 45. The P250 was $50 cheaper than a Ruger 345. I own revolvers so double action triggers aren't scarry. So far it has fed Win white box, federal, and tulammo without complaint. I've liked it enough that I just rec'd a 9mm caliber exchange kit for it (about $200). Cheaper range time with 9mm.

So far 4 friends have tried it and they are about split - 1 hated it, 1 said it was OK but he's not a DAO fan, 1 said he really liked it and the last one is going to buy one. You never know til you try it.

Yea I probably will. My 229 is too big for my fiance's hands so we will be making the rounds of single stack 9's. Im interested to try it, though DAO doesn't really turn me on. But! It's not gonna be my gun...so whatever she wants.

Yea I probably will. My 229 is too big for my fiance's hands so we will be making the rounds of single stack 9's. Im interested to try it, though DAO doesn't really turn me on. But! It's not gonna be my gun...so whatever she wants.

If she really likes Sigs in general, have her try a P239/9mm. You can often find them on the cheap on the used market. The only downer with those guns is they can be sort of muzzle-flippy, but those Hogue finger grooves do wonders on that gun.

-Mike

If she really likes Sigs in general, have her try a P239/9mm. You can often find them on the cheap on the used market. The only downer with those guns is they can be sort of muzzle-flippy, but those Hogue finger grooves do wonders on that gun.

-Mike

Or p225. As a 9mm single stack...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also stry the P229 with the E2 grips. Makes a huge difference for small handed shooters.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

For me the E2 grips just didn't feel right. I have small hands and the E2s just didn't seem to have that natural point to aim feel.

I did get e set of Hogue G-10 checkered grips though. They are the balls. Extra thin and they fit and point fine. The checkering is aggressive and gives a firm grip on your hands.

-Mike

I shall do that!

She likes Sigs, but I'm going to have her try a little of everything. Trying not to push my bias on her so she can get the gun that works the best for her. She does love my 238 and shoots unbelievably well with it, so I might pass that on to her and get a 938 but...who knows.

For me the E2 grips just didn't feel right. I have small hands and the E2s just didn't seem to have that natural point to aim feel.

I know the feeling. For me Sigs are perfect POA but the SR9c and M&P9c both aim high for me. Plus the number of arguments I have gotten into with Glock fanatics who have told me the ergonomics of those are the best. . . Its hard to explain that ergonomics vary by person to some people.

My fiance is tiny (her P238 is her hand size) and she very comfortable with the E2. Best bet for the OP is to try all and see what fits.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom