• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 220st

Just purchased a new Sig 220 st and it has Houge rubber grips on it is that right? I did'nt know they shipped them from the factory with Houge grips I thought they all came with the stock plastic ones. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Some of them indeed shipped from the factory with the Hogue rubber grips. Although I like Hogue- these had to go on mine. The other stock plastic grips are slimmer but are like butter. I ordered some special checkered factory plastic grips from Hogue that are just right for my tastes. Hogue takes the plastic grips and checkers them real nice.

220st

I ordered a brand new one from Four seasons in December (Almost $900.00 with night sights) and it came from factory in N.H. with Houge Grips. Oh and it also came with a really bad finnish on the slide.

But Victoria in customer service @ Sig told me they manufacture their guns to be used and not looked at. [frown]
That is my last Sig.
Gunho

I ordered a brand new one from Four seasons in December (Almost $900.00 with night sights) and it came from factory in N.H. with Houge Grips. Oh and it also came with a really bad finnish on the slide.

But Victoria in customer service @ Sig told me they manufacture their guns to be used and not looked at. [frown]
That is my last Sig.
Gunho

Let me guess, your slide and frame were mismatched? Most of the 220STs
are like that. It is as if the bead blasting or whatever is not the same or
its two different types of stainless. Remember that on a 220ST there is
no "finish" per se but just the level of bead blast they do/don't do on the gun.

-Mike

Okay , let me tell you about MY 220st.

Bought used for 750. After a few weekends if shooting factory ammo it began to FTE , leaving the spent case in chamber and unseating the next round in mag.

Cleaned it to a gleam , same prob. Spent hours on the 'net and decided it ws mags. Bought 2 new Sig mags @ $38 each. Ouch. Same problem.

Sent it to Sig. Returned with letter saying gun was fine. Got lecture on limp wristing tp boot.

Brought it Plate shoot @ DF&G , where some real gun enthusiasts got a look at it : " Extractor prob for sure. lemme call my friend at Sig , Jeff."

Jeff is a stand up guy. He came to my range the next week , replaced extractor , gave me a Sigarms cap , an sincere apology , a few boxes of reloads , and an hour of coaching on speed shooting.

2 weeks later it started again - FTE.

I shelved the gun to wait for the steam ikn my head to clear. Sent it back to Sig. Same letter. " This gun is fine. "

Talked to Carl. " I have a hex or a lemon. I want to sell it back to you , I realize I will lose a large portion of my money. I'd rather have a beater 1911 than a prestigious "to hell & back reliability" " most accurate out of the box " Sig that breaks every 200 rounds. ... but first I needed to fix it again.

A few weeks later I drove the thing to Sigarms , re-explained the problem and they actually did some work on it this time. A few dremel marks , a few " retensioned the slide" comments etc. and it finally ran well.

3 weeks later the hook of the extractor broke clean off while shooting pairs.

All of this was factory new ammo.

Mailed to Brownells to replace the extractor myself. They sent me the wrong one. .... grrrrrr.

I have a job. I get to shoot one day a week. I no longer trust Sig repair service at all period. Every step in this ordeal is at least wait until next week or longer before schedule allows me to do anything about it. Very frustrated.

That said .. I have an old worn , scratched and dinged SigSauer p228 made in West Germany with uncountable rounds through it. Never once hiccuped.

fubar- that really sucks. I guess I've been lucky with my 220st. If you haven't yet- go to the Sig forum for help there are a few guys there (Bruce Gray is one) that are top notch. Sorry about your problems- that's a bummer.

I also have a 228 that has been a gem.

Fubar, I bought a used plain Jane P220 here at NES. After I told the guy I'd buy it I read on the Sig Forum a few people had experienced extractor problems with their 220's. I thought about telling the guy I had changed my mind but I'm glad I didn't. Mine is 100% reliable and I love it. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you get everything sorted out.[cheers]

Sounds like something came seriously out of spec in the frame or slide and Sig can't track it down (assuming you bought new good mags). The extractor malfunctioning after usage is sometimes evidence that it is being stressed during feeding. This can happen for a variety of reasons and it will happen with every extractor you put in until the underlying problem is solved. Moving the rim of the case up the breech face and under the extractor is a critical operation, if the magazine (or position of magazine in frame) presents the cartridge in the wrong spot you get bad juju. The extractor could also be in the wrong spot in the slide, but this is less likely because it would be evident when installing the extractor (position would be wrong relative to the breech face).

Bad mags can cause the issue in the 1911 platform.

Try taking it to a real gunsmith. The monkey's repairing the gun are sometimes just assemblers and you can't expect them to understand what's going on. A real gunsmith can visualize what is happening and find the underlying issue and correct it.

Last edited:
I kind of think there is something out of spec. And the lack of discovery from Sig is very frustrating. ...

The mags I bought for it were new , both the new & old style factory mags.

I suppose the last ime around it's possible that though they did work on the slide , they neglected to treplace the already stressed extractor ...

So WHO is a reputable gunsmith , familiar with Sigs in the North Shore Area ?

Back
Top Bottom