Show me your Garand, M1A, Carbine.

My 1943 Inland. CMP Rack Grade, stock was totally refinished.

InlandCarbine031.jpg

1943 Garand fresh from the CMP

My 2nd Garand Happy to get one with a earlier dated reciever.

Scored a ridiculous deal off GB a few weeks back

it's a GI Bring back 1943 SA Garand that was re-barreled June 1944. No import marks, just the armorers marks. Its in great shape, showing a little muzzle wear but all in all I'm super happy with it.

Haven't shot pix of it yet but I did shoot this group with it at 200 yards

IMG_0401.jpg

Not bad for a 66 year old barrel!
I'll take some pix of it soon as I get a chance.

My rifles from the CMP

Top: SA service grade M1 Garand 54445XX (1954)
Bottom: Inland Rack grade 8479XX (1943)

GarandandCarbine.jpg

This is my carbine when I first opened the box.

100_0646-1.jpg

My carbine all cleaned up and ready to go.

M1Carbine847976.jpg

Scored a ridiculous deal off GB a few weeks back

it's a GI Bring back 1943 SA Garand that was re-barreled June 1944. No import marks, just the armorers marks. Its in great shape, showing a little muzzle wear but all in all I'm super happy with it.

Haven't shot pix of it yet but I did shoot this group with it at 200 yards//
Get any documentation you can. A legitimate vet bring back is worth five figures. There are very, very few documented cases. "Buy the gun, not the story." You can email CMP and they will tell you if it is a DCM/CMP rifle.

Are you sure it's re barreled? It would not be particularly unusual to have receivers out of sequence and have a later barrel installed. The stock markings and other parts may give more clues about dating.

Garand and Carbine

Lots of great rifles on this thread! Here are my two. Dates are, as far as I can tell, M1 Garand S/N 410xxx (Early December 1941) M1 Carbine S/N 6,3xx,xxx (Mid February 1945)

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 38
Looking at some of the wood in these pics, has me wondering if there were barracks disputes, had rank privileges, toughest guy or sucked off the armorer over whom was issued the prettiest rifle back in those days.

Sweet looking rifle! Great paint job! The micro doesn't co-witness with the irons though, right?

Correct. Hence the LaRue mount vice the OEM mount. The stock mount is a bit lower (still not low enough to co-witness), but it is not QD. The LaRue is QD.

I need to check and see if the Aimpoint 3x magnifier will fit on the forward mount behind the optic.

I had the ole Blunderbuss out getting ready for a match tomorrow:
DSC00184.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

My Smith Enterprise M14NM

I dressed up my M1A in some spring colors:

P4241031.jpg

I spoke with the nice people at LaRue; they don't make a mount to fit the 3x magnifier behind the Aimpoint - bummer. I'll have to stick with the H-1 Micro or mount a IER scope to the rifle.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed! When you sprayed the paint, I'm assuming you laid a net of some type over the rifle? If so, how do you keep the net aligned in the same position when you change paint colors? Meaning, the holes of net, keeping them lined up to prevent messy, blurred lines?

Thanks Ed! [cheers]

...I'm assuming you laid a net of some type over the rifle? If so, how do you keep the net aligned in the same position when you change paint colors? ....

I used an old mesh laundry bag to mask out the netting. The stock, hand guard, cheek piece and magazine were all painted separately. That's why the lines between the hand guard and stock don't match up.

Spray everything with the base color first; in this case it was khaki. Next, lay the mesh down. You may need to secure it in spots with clothes pins or masking tape to get it to lay flat.

Then take the next color and paint a stripe across the surface. Let this dry while you are shaking the next can. Leave the mesh in place. Spray another stripe with the new color.

Repeat with as many colors as you choose. Each succeeding color should fill in a little more of the area. Let it dry for a few minutes and remove the mesh. Wa-La!

I finished by spraying all the parts with several coats of extra flat clear to seal it up.

You can see a few spots where the mesh wasn't laying completely flat or spots where I went a little to heavy with the paint.

P4241036.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom