shotmaker set up now with short video

mac1911

NES Member
I just happen to have the camera handy.
This is what my shotmaker set up looks like. If I ever get a digital video camera I will post a short video of how it works.
I only run about 50lbs at a time so coolant temp is not and issue. If gets to running hot I just add some fresh coolant.

Last edited:
Fixxah,Coolant last ? Well so far I think I lost about 1 pint in 350lbs do to spillage and waste from cleaning ect ect. I let the shot drain for 10-15 min then rinse with water.

Eddie, Alloy lead clip on wheel weights and most recent 100lbs was a 50/50 mix. 50% clip on wheel weights and 50% of the odd ball chunks I recieved from fixxah.

Fixxah, I still have the isotope containers to smelt down abd those half ring things. I am looking for some freebie mini bread pans to cast those into or some other odd shape to keep track of what it is.

shotmakers in action: so far the best I have found http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=201209

Last edited:
Just store the hot rings outside.

The sound of the shot hitting the coolant is like music to my ears.

kinda like crickets or even birds chirping. I have learned when the shot maker is going well tic,tic,tic tic tic

I'm going to try making one from an old frying pan. I need some more shot bags, and the only way I will get some more shot is to try a go at it. I don't need interchangeable nozzles, so just one hole on the edge of the pan will work for me. I'll have the drip drop onto a short piece of angle iron. It does the quick cooling roll (where it forms into a ball) on the angle iron, and then into the coolant. If you don't do the roll, you'll just get sharp spikes. Ask me how I know.....

had to relieve some stress, made some shot

[video]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid160.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Ft196%2Fjrm7800%2FMOV00033.mp4">[/video]
jrm7800
[/URL][/IMG] OK couldnt figure how to get video from photobucket to here ? with out posting my photobucket page ?
hope this works

Last edited:
OK couldnt figure how to get video from photobucket to here ? with out posting my photobucket page ?
hope this works

Copy the link of the video and then click the "insert video" button when composing your post, it looks like 2 frames of a film, then paste the link into the dialog box that opens up and hit OK.

With the help of a nice young gent(Steven), we passed the time waiting for our new ones to arrive @ the hospital saturday afternoon. He showed me how to get the video on here. Have a bit of down time as I am home with my daughter. My mom has kidnapped her for about 30min. so I thought I would post it

NOTE: I know nothing of cameras. I dont know why it seems to be in slow motion. The shot moves a lot faster than shown. It is kinda cool though to see it drop so slow. Get a good idea of what happens to it.

This is about as basic as you can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Congrats on the new addition to your family
2) Congrats on getting your video link working.

I need some more shot..... So far, my attempts at creating a mini shot maker are failing.

btw, you DO know that you have one plugged nozzle, right? The one on the far right wasn't producing. You'll increase your output 10% if you unplug that one.

yeah that nozzle has been a booger since day one. I have not had the time to play with it. I also have one nozzle that leaks a bit around the threads a little.
For now I leave it be as when I do get it running it runs slow and drops some really odd shapes.

Duke you can buy some drippers from http://www.thebettershotmaker.org/contact.html I do have a extra dripper (used) some where #9 dripper. I cant remember where I left it. If I come across it I will send it out.

Maybe you can find one of these table top shot makers ?

View attachment 13127View attachment 13126

Mr. Stewart checks to see whether you have one of his machines. Remember how he jumped all over me when I inquired about the machine that you have? I doubt that he would sell me nozzles.

I have some tubing, and will try something like the picture that you showed.

I don't care if they are large round globs, as long as they aren't the sharp needles that I keep getting. I just need a couple more weight bags for my Lead Sled.

really he wont just sell the drippers. I would just call him and order some. Heck he claimed he NEVER sold a shot maker to a man in NH. After many emails and a few phone calls I finally said "Jim maybe that sales slip fell between the files or off the back of the desk". I had the original owners name phone number and date of purchase. He later emailed that he found the info? Any ways. He always returned my emails and was wasy to talk to on the phone.

I think you need to have the lead drip onto a hot slanted lip and get a little bounce and spin on it. If you could look into that table top shot maker it has a simular nozzle/dripper as the better shotmaker. The dripper is positioned 1/4" drop above the tube on the inside it then rolls about 2" out the end of the tube. I never tried to get that table top unit going. I have though about useing it with a heater element from a bent up casting pot I have and wrapping it around the tube?? Maybe when I have time[rofl2]

If I am lucky I will get the last of my range scrap and wheel weights smelted up and a final shot makeing day and pump out 200lbs before the new kids come home, maybe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom