Shot timers, purpose built, Iphone and Android ?

Any suggestions on type of shot timer to buy?

I've read on Brian Enos that the CED7000 and Pocket Pro 2 are good.
I need it for home use and range use.

I don't have an Iphone but supposedly there is a shot timer application for that.

And I stumbled across this one for the Android
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3178008&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2
If you have a barcode reader you can download it by scanning this barcode
img.php

I just got a replacement R-U Ready Speedtimer 3000 since the one I have had for over a dozen years finally stopped working. It had been dropped and kicked around MANY times over those years and owed me nothing. It is simple to operate, has all the features I need, and is very loud.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael.

I have had 3 CED7000, killed each of them. CED was good at replacing most of them for free, but the last one they charged me to fix. I now have a PACT club timer

The Iphone app works well for very distinct shots. For example, draw and fire 1 will work fine. Draw, fire 1, reload, fire 1 might work (watch out for action noise). Firing multiple shots quickly will pick up who knows how many shots.

I'd pay no more than a buck or two for it.

I agree with TheRoland, I downloaded the iPhone timer (I'm sure it was free when I got it, maybe a buck or two) and it doesn't work that well. I have a CED 8000 but I don't like the flip screen. I stayed away from CED 7000 because you have to have it charged up, no 9V battery like others I have seen. I always wondered how much it would suck if you were in the middle of a practice session and the battery dies. I also have a PACT Club 3 timer and I like it at will use it over the CED 8000 I also own. I keep it in my range bag with the timer/timer case inside of a 1 quart ziplock bag. In the bag I keep a spare 9V. If you are at a club match, or practice, and it starts to rain you can put the timer inside the bag and it operates just fine and stays dry.

If someone could make an iphone app that listened for the shot, and then listened for the 'plink' of it hitting a metal plate downrange, and told you the time difference, then you'd have a poor man's chronograph!

I agree with TheRoland, I downloaded the iPhone timer (I'm sure it was free when I got it, maybe a buck or two) and it doesn't work that well. I have a CED 8000 but I don't like the flip screen. I stayed away from CED 7000 because you have to have it charged up, no 9V battery like others I have seen. I always wondered how much it would suck if you were in the middle of a practice session and the battery dies.

They have an external battery pack that takes AA's that will run the timer or charge it for $12. 9 volts aren't cheap and the costs eventually will add up.

I also have a PACT Club 3 timer and I like it at will use it over the CED 8000 I also own. I keep it in my range bag with the timer/timer case inside of a 1 quart ziplock bag. In the bag I keep a spare 9V. If you are at a club match, or practice, and it starts to rain you can put the timer inside the bag and it operates just fine and stays dry.

Good idea.

I love my CED7000. I haven't had any reliability issues, but I probably haven't used it as much as Supermoto. I think the rechargable battery is a huge advantage. Who wants to buy batteries? I ran shooters for two straight days at the NER with mine without charging it, and it still hadn't indicated low battery. The CED7000 has a ton of features. I love it for dry fire, as it has adjustable beep volume and a multitude of par time options. Also, CED sponsors a lot of matches and such, if that's important to you.

Any suggestions on type of shot timer to buy?

I've read on Brian Enos that the CED7000 and Pocket Pro 2 are good.
I need it for home use and range use.

I don't have an Iphone but supposedly there is a shot timer application for that.

And I stumbled across this one for the Android
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3178008&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2
If you have a barcode reader you can download it by scanning this barcode
img.php

Thanks ! I can't believe the bar code reader worked on the PC screen. [cheers]

Another vote for the PACT club timers. Mine has been in use for a long time. Get the case for it too. I have the MK IV and the club timers. For practice, the MK IV does a lot more. Cases for both make them last.

I love my CED 7000. At least 4 of my plate shooting buddies have them, and none of us have had any issues with reliability. The battery life is very good. It is very programmable, and you can do lots with it.
For instance, I was practicing air pistol (bullseye), and wanted to learn what the average time I was holding the gun prior to making a shot, and see if I could find a time period where my performance really fell off.
The CED had no problem picking up the sounds of my air pistol.

I use a Competition Electronics Pro Shot Timer. It has worked well for the last 20 years or so. I had one problem withit about seven years after I bought it. They fixed it for $35, including shipping. I had a PACT timer that died after about the same amount of time. They wouldn't do anything for me, except tell me to buy a new one. Avoid PACT products; their customer service sucks!

Back
Top Bottom