Shot making videos, I now have a shotmaker

mac1911

NES Member
I dont see to much about shotshell reloading here. When lead was high and shot went up to 40.00+ for 25lb bag and you couldnot find a bag anywhere. I though about one of these shot makers. Well lead went down and I was not shooting anywhere near as much. I also found someone that would turn my wheelweights into shot for a 50/50 split. That deal has long gone also. Now I have been getting more and more wheel weights and lead.
I was wondering if anyone on the south shore of massachusetts has a shot maker.

heres some good videos of a shot maker

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=201209

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of ways to make some shot. Not shot for shooting in a shotgun, but shot for a shot bag to weigh down my "Lead Sled" rifle rest.
Here's what I tried:

1) Took a 5" piece of 2 1/4" black iron pipe, and threaded a cap on the end. Drilled a tiny (what I estimated would make #6-7 shot with) hole in the middle of the end of the cap (for the lead to drain out). Melted up a batch of lead in a dutch oven, and immersed the pipe assembly into the lead until it was the same temperature a the lead. I used a pair of ViceGrips to hold onto the pipe. I filled up the pipe with molten lead, and using a ladle to catch the errant drippings, moved the dripping pipe over a 5 gallon bucket and allowed the drips to fall into the bucket. It looked like the videos and sounded like them also. However, the result was very disappointing. What I managed to create were long, thin lead NAILS, which had very sharp ends on each end. I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to get rid of the sharp ends, and just ended up remelting the whole mess.

2) I did some reading, and saw that the commercial version o the shot makers have a short piece of steel plate that the shot stream falls on before the lead hits the water. Looks like it causes a secondary "splash effect". So, since my newer melting pot came in, and the old one was full of cold lead, I decided to heat up the old pot, and use the bottom pour spout to make the lead stream, and I fixtured a small steel plate for the lead to splash on before hitting the bucket. And, I was much more careful about the heat on this one, using only what heat was needed to get the lead to dispense. That way the lead stream would cool more instantly. Unfortunately, I got less pointy nails than the first try, but nails none the less. They were dull enough that I am going to use them in the shot bag for the lead sled.

The ones (shot makers) that you can BUY come with instructions and suggestions, something that I wasn't able to get anywhere with my Google searches. And, they are all designed for the proper results for makin very round, and appropriately sized shot. If you're only going to make 25-50 pounds of shot, forgetaboutit. However, if this is going to become a regular activity, then the cost of the shot makers is nothing, and you should just dive into buying a new one. They're only a couple of hundred dollars, and you'd more than save the cost of the machine in less than a dozen (25#) bags of shot.

Let us know how that goes for you. If you get it going, I'd pay you (50-50!) for doing some of my processing. I just need a few more bags of round stuff.

If you look on line there are a number of folks who have built homemade rigs. Littleton shotmakers will sell you just the nozzles if you dont want to mess with drilling them out.

Have had some conversations in the past few days... Including with the manufacturer of one of the shot makers, James Stewart. And, with some trap shooters.
  • The #8 and #9 shot that these shot makers can make are not really "trap grade".
  • They are best used for skeet and hunting, and general utility purposes.
  • Even with proper set up, you will get odd sized shot mixed in, and it will all be "chilled" shot.
  • The shotmakers are made to use wheel weight lead, but it has to be carefull smelted, to remove the impurities, or else the nozzles risk getting clogged. Using pure lead will also clog the nozzles, according to the manufacturer.
  • Once clogged, the nozzles have to be replaced. Don't bother trying to clean them out.
  • Trap shooters seem to prefer the "dropped" type of shot. This is dropped from very tall (high) "shot towers", sometimes as much as 200 feet up. The falling of the lead from that distance allows the molten lead to form into more spherical shape, and solidify before hitting the cooling solution. Trap grade shot also gets screened to cull out any issues with shape or size.
  • I only need a few 25 pound bags of shot, so I can't justify the cost of a shot maker.
  • A NEW machine from James Stewart is a mere $375, and includes some accessories. Every macine is tested for effectiveness before shipping.
  • The oher company that makes a shot maker is Littleton. I didn't contact them. Theirs is similar, but constructed differently.

I disagree with and clarify a couple of your assertions.
1) Trap shot is great from these machines.
2) Yes, you need to make sure you have proper lead with the proper amount of tin/antimony in it.
3) Clogged nozzles can be cleaned. 30$ to replace them isn't bad, regardless.
4) Yes you do need to screen the shot.

I've never used a shotmaker but it should be virtually impossible to clog the nozzles assuming that you keep the nozzles above the level of the melted lead. Same thing goes when you're casting bullets, you can only really clog it if you drain the pot completely and the dross tries to filter through the nozzle

This from the guy who made Lord1234's machine:
---------------------------------------------------
Okay, lets go forward from here. I do stand behind my machines and I welcome anyone that is buying a used machine. I really do like to keep good records of where my machines are across the country and overseas. Your description below ( ...fabricated angle iron) is what lead me to believe that it could be a home made version of either my machine or my competitors. I still have no one from New England area with one of my machines. I have answered all of your initial questions.Since this would be second to third hand owner (if you buy it or did buy it) then you have to determine:
1.) What size drippers are actually in the machine. If they are #9 drippers and the seller didn't use 100% car wheel weights as lead then chances are the drippers are clogged up and won't run. Did you get the other set of drippers with it too.
2.) Will it run- have the guy demonstrate that it does work. You don't need a operating manual for a demonstration but you do need to have more lead ingots on hand to feed into the machine. I wouldn't buy a machine without seeing it work first, otherwise the seller can say "you bought it as is". Interesting price he wants for it too. My Standard Single Bowl brand new is $375.00 plus $25.00 shipping. You might want to start with a new one and know someone has not screwed it up. I test run every machine before it leaves my shop and it is making good shot or it doesn't leave the premise.
3.) Just plug the machine in, turn it on, it takes about 25 minutes for the lead to melt, and feed it good lead.
4.) Is the flusher tool with the machine also?

Let me know what is happening with the machine. You may need new drippers- $30.00 a set of 7 drippers + $6.00 Priority mail shipping=$36.00 total. You will also need Jim's Red Stuff to coat the lip -do not sand the lip of the machine. It is $12.00 for a 2oz container and if purchased with drippers there is no extra ship charge.
You can call me at (telephone number) till about 4:00PM all of this week.
Next week you should be able to call me 7:00AM - 9:00PM.
Thanks,
James Stewart
---------------------

All of the serious "world class" trap shooters I talked with (more than 2!) said that the shot from these machines is not what they would shoot. Sorry. That's THEIR opinion. I don't have an opinion either way, just repeating what I was told.

Modern shot is made with a similar method as the "home shotmaker" Bliemeister method spelling maybe wrong? Or it is cut from lead wire and tumbled to roundness, this I believe is for larger shot.

As for the machine in question offered for sale By the pictures sent to me it is a James Stewart machine NOT purchased new by the seller. He has also included some drop tanks all the original accessories and approx 50 gallon of unused coolant + he is delivering it to me
So -25 for shipping - 40 for the tanks - 50 for the coolant also included is 2 sets of nozzles PLUS he has offered a refund if it does not work, which I would only hold him to cost of repairs if needed. I am not to concerned about the nozzles.

so we are talking 250ish for the shotmaker.....

As far as good enough shot.......I have shot about 250 lbs of home made shot from tradeing wheel weights for home made shot. That deal is no longer available to me.
I shot this for all but the State ATA shoot and hold a 94 average, with less than 2000 targets in the last 2 years, I am back on track to shooting much more. I think you would have a hard time telling the difference if you shot a "blind" test not knowing from home made to factory. Just as much as 8s compared to 7.5s......maybe from the 27 yard line you might wonder.....as for me I will admit @ the state shoots I will use factory fodder more of a mind set than anything. For practice, fun, sporting clays and the fact that I can shoot more than double with reloads than with buying factory. I bought enough reloading components to load up 10k rounds and 10 bags of shot when it was 20.00 per bag. which I have 6 bags left. I have been using home made shot and reclaimed shot for as little 12.50 per 25lb bag and it was fine.
As chilled compared to Hard or magnum shot, dont think you could tell unless you picked up the pellets to look for deformed shot. Some may argue chilled is more lead and heavier and hold its energy longer.

In the end If I can process the 400+ lbs of wheel weight/ingots I have for free and the 50lbs or so I get every few weeks the machine will pay for it self. Lead shot is not readily available in my area and the last time I did see it @ 32.00/25lb bag.

I am picking the unit up on saturday and with any luck will be test running it sunday. I will at least plug it in and watch the lead melt.

Last edited:
Modern shot is made with a similar method as the "home shotmaker" Bliemeister method spelling maybe wrong? Or it is cut from lead wire and tumbled to roundness, this I believe is for larger shot.

As for the machine in question offered for sale By the pictures sent to me it is a James Stewart machine NOT purchased new by the seller. He has also included some drop tanks all the original accessories and approx 50 gallon of unused coolant + he is delivering it to me
So -25 for shipping - 40 for the tanks - 50 for the coolant also included is 2 sets of nozzles PLUS he has offered a refund if it does not work, which I would only hold him to cost of repairs if needed. I am not to concerned about the nozzles.

so we are talking 250ish for the shotmaker.....

As far as good enough shot.......I have shot about 250 lbs of home made shot from tradeing wheel weights for home made shot. That deal is no longer available to me.
I shot this for all but the State ATA shoot and hold a 94 average, with less than 2000 targets in the last 2 years, I am back on track to shooting much more. I think you would have a hard time telling the difference if you shot a "blind" test not knowing from home made to factory. Just as much as 8s compared to 7.5s......maybe from the 27 yard line you might wonder.....as for me I will admit @ the state shoots I will use factory fodder more of a mind set than anything. For practice, fun, sporting clays and the fact that I can shoot more than double with reloads than with buying factory. I bought enough reloading components to load up 10k rounds and 10 bags of shot when it was 20.00 per bag. which I have 6 bags left. I have been using home made shot and reclaimed shot for as little 12.50 per 25lb bag and it was fine.
As chilled compared to Hard or magnum shot, dont think you could tell unless you picked up the pellets to look for deformed shot. Some may argue chilled is more lead and heavier and hold its energy longer.

In the end If I can process the 400+ lbs of wheel weight/ingots I have for free and the 50lbs or so I get every few weeks the machine will pay for it self. Lead shot is not readily available in my area and the last time I did see it @ 32.00/25lb bag.

I am picking the unit up on saturday and with any luck will be test running it sunday. I will at least plug it in and watch the lead melt.

mac1911, I appreciate you standing up for me. This is a Jim Stewart shotmaker and I will call and speak w/ Jim tomorrow morning and confirm this with him. I will make sure that everything is kosher. DIM, I don't appreciate the veiled insult/disparagement in your post. I stand behind ALL sales/deals that I make, and as mac1911 said, am making whoever buys this a pretty good deal IMHO. If new drippers (or anything else) is needed, I will gladly pay for their replacement, as I have said to mac1911. If you have a problem with me, feel free to take it up via PM.

Could you still give the state this fella is in. Did the flusher tool and instructions come with it?
I would also like you name, address, and phone number so I can update my files.
I do keep track of my machines.
Id you do have a problem with the machine don't hesitate to call me or email and I will do my best to troubleshoot the problem. I am known for my great customer service and I will treat you right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:54:57 -0500
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE: shotmaker

Response from James Stewart from a few emails I sent him. As for Duke response maybe he didnt have all the details and pictures. As much as I would like to buy new, I would rather buy a used unit no being used and help out someone with a little extra cash and free up storage space. If the unit works and produces shot 2/3s as good as is claimed if I do my part I will be happy. I will also spread the good word for the better shot maker. I have also contacted Scottk in the videos of my OP back in 08. I was going to buy his old machine and shot sorter.

I will post some pics of what I do as I go along......I have not quit figured out video to computer yet?

Called Jim this morning. Very nice guy.

Yes the instructions come with it. As does the flusher tool.

He told me the way to tell if it was his was to "stick a magnet to the ladle"(the item that the lead sits in to melt). If the magnet stuck, it was one of his, because the knock offs did not use CastIron. I went out and checked...guess what? Magnet stuck! It's definitely one of his.

Here is a picture of it:
taken this morning

His picture from his site is here: http://thebettershotmaker.org/index.html

Any more arguments from you DIM?

No offense meant, dude. Take a look at the skimpy message that you sent to me via PM, and you'll see that I had virtually NOTHING to go by.
All I was doing was asking questions, and reporting what I got for info. In no way did I ever suggest that I was intent on any insults. I'm sorry if you mis-read any of that.

Stewart seems anal about his product, and rightly so. There are lots of imitators, and some are not as good as his.

I only need a few bags (75 pounds total) of shot for a LeadSled gun rest.
I'd be willing to supply the ingots, if anyone is willing to make me some shot. For the little (relatively speaking) that I need, I can't justify buying a shot maker.

mac1911, I appreciate you standing up for me. This is a Jim Stewart shotmaker and I will call and speak w/ Jim tomorrow morning and confirm this with him. I will make sure that everything is kosher. DIM, I don't appreciate the veiled insult/disparagement in your post. I stand behind ALL sales/deals that I make, and as mac1911 said, am making whoever buys this a pretty good deal IMHO. If new drippers (or anything else) is needed, I will gladly pay for their replacement, as I have said to mac1911. If you have a problem with me, feel free to take it up via PM.

---------------------

All of the serious "world class" trap shooters I talked with (more than 2!) said that the shot from these machines is not what they would shoot. Sorry. That's THEIR opinion. I don't have an opinion either way, just repeating what I was told.

It doesn't take much to break a clay bird and lead being lead being lead, how much effect does shot quality actually have in the typical pattern, impact etc considering yardage of a shot to kill one of them clay critters? With a little practice you could dust a clay pigeon with a clod of dirt and a good slingshot...except in Massachusetts where slingshots are apparently illegal. Is this more a case of smug elitism or is there really that much difference in shot quality?

the debate is endless and is at length on trapshooters.com world class shooters are not paying for there ammo either......The debate over shot weight is endless also 7/8oz vs 1oz vs 1 1/8oz. Olympic or bunker trap is regulated to 7/8oz of shot these guys hammer those clay critters. I switched to 7/8oz shot when lead shot went over 40lbs a bag and none to be found. I was able to shoot more and my scores went up??? personally I have always liked 7.5 size shot 1oz 1150fps. I did a bit of static pattern testing and found no large difference between 1oz and 1 1/8 except for the added flyers around the core of the pattern. I find choke selection to have a bigger impact than shot size home made or not. IM choke so far for me back to the 23y line working fine.

OK so @ 930pm I decided to unload the shotmaker....clear some space in my shed open both doors and see what this thing does. I just wanted to make sure the lead did flow.

Yes it does, it took about 30 min. for it to heat up and start flowing. I did not do more than fill a 30mm ammo can with sierra coolant placed the shotmaker ontop of a old steel tool box about a 1/2 in. from the drop lip. This was a pure Does it work test. The drippers took a working with the little tool to get flowing. At first it was crap. Then it started getting rounder and better looking. I added a few ignots and passed about 8lbs of lead throught it.

My camera is old and I know nothing of picture takeing but here is a half ass run with the largest of the crap sifted out with the little screen box supplied. I will need to sort better @ some point.......this is probably good for Dukes lead sled?

more

Had some spare time early this evening. Well I worked on the proper set up and drop distance from shotmaker to coolant. Also changed out the drippers to size 8 shot. A lot better I think. Less odd ball shapes and less tailed shot which is a problem closely related to improper drop distance and coolant viscosity. My camera sucks, even on the close up setting I just do not get clear photo's. I managed about 25lbs before the dinner bell rang.

Wow. That shot looks great. If you are dropping close to pure lead, I have a lot that you could use.

As I stock pile the needed items to construct a contained unit I have been playing around. Sorting the shot is another issue. I have some perforated steel but the holes are a trade to big. about the size of 5 or 6 shot. Did a small sample of applying graphite. It would need to be tumbled alot more to get that factory look.

That looks interesting at least. I bet if you had days of free time it would pretty cool to see how much you can make, not sure I would though.

Back
Top Bottom