Shop won’t give a quote over the phone - Eric Manna Distributing

I called Eric Manna Distributing in New Ipswich, NH this afternoon looking for a certain type of ammo in stock. I assume it was Eric who answered the phone, and he confirmed they did have the ammo in stock. I asked the price, and he told me he would not give me a quote over the phone. I told him I’d be driving quite a distance, and I’d appreciate a quote before I drove all the way out there. He replied that if I was driving that far, I’d probably buy it anyway. So I asked why he wouldn’t give me a price over the phone, and he said “I’m not going to debate this with you,” and hung up the phone.

WTF???

Is there a legit reason a business wouldn’t give a price quote over the phone? Especially for a shop that doesn’t take credit or debit cards. I’ll tell you what, I was pretty set on driving 130 miles round trip to this shop to pick up about a grand of ammo, but not any more.

It must be a NH thing,State line Firearms in Mason NH would not give me a price over the phone on an AR15. I ended up Buying it at Rileys,plus abunch of other stuff

Do a search for his shop in the gun store review section, and you'll see my experience there. That should answer any questions you may have about this shop.

He replied that if I was driving that far, I’d probably buy it anyway.

I would have to assume that the opposite is also true, which would be: If you knew the price in advance you WOULDN'T buy it.

I had a similar conversation with a car dealer once only it was in person. They wouldn't tell me their best price for the car instead they wanted to do the whole sales bit. The manager's quote was, "we don't sell prices, we sell cars." I told them "that just tells me you can't beat other people's prices" and walked out. Bought the same car the next day at another dealer.

All he's really saying is "If you're shopping for the lowest price, I'm not interested in you as a customer".

bad business

no matter what business your in, you best be polite. He probably
didn't give you a price as he may not be competitive, or you know
what it costs closer to you and not worth the drive.

Anyway his decision to do this is DUMB, his attitude is very
poor.

Eric, i disagree with you on the "once he gets to kow you"
he should be proactive and want to meet and help his
own business.

JimB

When I sold cars, the policy was to not quote over the phone. We wanted live bodies in the showroom, and we'd sell them something. If we quoted a price, people would just call around and price shop. It didn't mean they got a better deal, it just means we got less foot traffic.

In the case of this "dealer", I can only think his prices were high, or else he would have told you. YMMV

It must be a NH thing, ...

Not just some NH shope, most local shope hearabouts won't quote prices on the phone either.

When I sold cars, the policy was to not quote over the phone.

Been there, done that, one saying I've heard often in sales:

"Don't get beat by putting your pricing on the street."

It isn't that he won't give prices over the phone..it IS that he is a jerk about it. I am a reasonable person and someone can tell me the "why" and be pleasant about it. I can then make my decision accordingly.

He, and unfortunately many other gun dealers, don't exercise that courtesy. That's why I haven't been back in three years. I don't care what his prices are. And I'm sure he doesn't care that I don't care.
That's free enterprise

He is the "Comic Book Guy" of NH gun shops. (both in stature and attitude)

I went there once and don't intend to do so again. He acts like he's doing you a favor just letting you bask in his big fat presence.

Collectors Firearms in Pelham and Rileys in Hooksett get most of my business. Their prices are up and down, but they at least treat their customers with a level of civility and respect.

Last edited:
When I sold cars, the policy was to not quote over the phone. We wanted live bodies in the showroom, and we'd sell them something. If we quoted a price, people would just call around and price shop. It didn't mean they got a better deal, it just means we got less foot traffic.

While I certainly understand you're not wanting to quote over the phone, phone price shopping most certainly does mean they got a better deal. It quickly weeds out the dealers like you worked for that are looking for lower volume, higher priced sales and finds the dealers who are looking for higher volume lower priced sales. That is, unless you're an idiot and get up sold when you arrive at the dealership.

Eric has always been more than nice to me. I just bought a new HK USP9 not too long ago from him.

He was cool with me,his prices on ammo are insanely high though.He was selling $.75 a round .308 surplus when the going price was around $.40 a round.

If I owned a gunshop,it would be pretty much like his.Last time I was there he had about 4 Barrets.

I went there on Saturday. I was looking for a M44 Mosin. I saw he had on his website pictures of Mosins in their crates. The pictures are still there.I emailed him about them and he answered every question I had with very short, vague answers. He answered my questions within the original email I sent him. He just inserted his answers after each question. Did not answer about price though. His response to my question about what he had in stock for Mosins was "The Mosins are on the website". I got there a week or so later because of bad weather and there were no Mosins. I guess it was my fault for not checking before I drove out there but I honestly felt like I'd be bothering him if I asked again.He said his were unissued and really nice and that he could get one for me but it wouldn't be as nice. Most of his Milsurps were beat up and incomplete. I was not impressed.
I also stopped by StateLine in Mason. They didn't have what I was looking for but had a decent selection and fair prices. They were very friendly too.

I've been there a couple times and bought a 22 target pistol from the shop. I can see how he might come across as some of you have described. I agree that shop owners need to be polite, helpful and friendly, especially with the opposition to firearms rising.

In the case of this "dealer", I can only think his prices were high, or else he would have told you. YMMV

FWIW, I think that's changed. I bought both of my current cars by email and phone. The Subaru dealer was particularly good about it because the vehicle had to be located. I'd go back to them as a result.

As for the subject at hand, I simply won't do business with places that waste my time. It's in too short suppy these days. Not giving me a price on a simple item over the phone in the hopes I'll drive there is highly likely to waste my time.

Well, if anyone happens to swing by there and can tell me his price on the Guatemalan (IMG) 5.56 ammo, I'd appreciate it.

As for the subject at hand, I simply won't do business with places that waste my time. It's in too short suppy these days. Not giving me a price on a simple item over the phone in the hopes I'll drive there is highly likely to waste my time.

+1

I can buy a car in 30 minutes including the paperwork. The flip side is that I am willing to walk out of a dealership the moment I sense they are wasting my time with stupid car salesman games.

I deal with salesmen and I expect them to be able to close the sale themselves. I name my price and give them a little leeway. If they go to speak to the manager, they almost always find an empty table when they return.

I ended up Buying it at Rileys,plus abunch of other stuff

Rileys is awesome! I have called many times looking for various things and like the op it's maybe a 90 min round trip and I would rather not waste my time. They are always very helpful and I just learned that if you need a part or whatever they will put it in a hold bin for you.

He is the "Comic Book Guy" of NH gun shops. (both in stature and attitude)

That's the line of the day, you get a Rep point for that.

Eric has always been more than nice to me.

Same with me. I bought a couple of shotguns from him. He can be a little grumpy. The one time he gave me a bit of an attitude, I said, "What's the matter? Did you miss breakfast or something?"

He was fine after that.

That's the line of the day, you get a Rep point for that.

Same with me. I bought a couple of shotguns from him. He can be a little grumpy. The one time he gave me a bit of an attitude, I said, "What's the matter? Did you miss breakfast or something?"

He was fine after that.

I was having a "discussion" with one of our supervisors one day. He's a "stout" fellow as the saying goes. He started yelling and swearing at me at which point I just looked at him and said, "So much for the myth of the Jolly Fat Man, eh?".

You can save that one for the next time he gets grumpy.

Gary

+1

I can buy a car in 30 minutes including the paperwork. The flip side is that I am willing to walk out of a dealership the moment I sense they are wasting my time with stupid car salesman games.

I deal with salesmen and I expect them to be able to close the sale themselves. I name my price and give them a little leeway. If they go to speak to the manager, they almost always find an empty table when they return.

+1 Jose. No time for the traditional back and forth BS. Give me your best price, if I like it you have a sale. If I don't like it or can't afford it, thanks for your time. What's that? You can do better, don't leave yet!?! Kiss my ass, I asked for your best price.

Speaking as somebody "in the business", I find many dealers to be incredibly stupid and incredibly arrogant.

Not giving a price over the phone is a symptom of arrogance and indifference, and an indicator his prices just flat suck.

I'll also tell you that some customers attitudes are just as bad, if not worse. Especially at gun shows.

Yers, some of you have had good luck with the guy. I don't know him, but if you're selling good stuff at the right price, you won't be embarrassed to state the price.

I can tell you right up front some of my father's prices are WAY up there. That's on the obsolete and impossible to find stuff. Most folks hear the prices and are happy just to find the stuff, still buy it.

Ever try top find .303 Savage? Got it. 5.6x51 Vom Hof? Got that too (Rimmed and Rimless). Plus a bunch of others you don't find. The point? Making the stuff takes a bunch of time (case forming) and some of the materials are just horribly priced.

Back
Top Bottom