• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting with Grandpa

DickWanner

Banned
I spent this past weekend in Vermont for a family celebration for my Great Grandmother turning 100 last Wednesday. On Sunday morning I went with my Grandpa to the range to check out his stuff. He's mostly a hunter, but he does have some nice wheel guns an a 1911 competition rig.

modelseven300WSMbush4200.jpg

Remington Model Seven in 300WSM with a Bushnell 4200 scope.

rem700250sav.jpg

Remington 700 in 250 Savage

rem700264winmagleupoldLPS14x50.jpg

Remington 700 in 264 Win Mag with a Leupold LPS 14X50 scope. The eye relief on the scope was rediculous and I easily put two into the 10 ring @ 100 yards without really trying.

rugerno193x74r.jpg

Ruger No. 1 in 9.3x74r. I shot three rounds through this and man was it a beast. I flinched hardcore on the second shot, but with iron sights I managed to get the first and third shots into the 9 ring @ 100yds.

savage99r300sav.jpg

Savage 99r in 300 Savage.

vanguardVGL65-06.jpg

Vanguard VGL custom built in 6.5-06. I shot 5 rounds out of this and it had quite the punch to it.

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00058.jpg

Colt Gold Cup Trophy

IMG00052.jpg

S&W 610. I want to work with him to make up some nice hot loads for my G29/G20.

SWhighway.jpg

S&W Highway Patrolman

IMG00063.jpg

Grandpa in the front with the 6.5-06, Uncle in the back with the 250sav.

IMG00066.jpg

IMG00065.jpg

Grandpa with his .41mag, he was just shooting some light loads that day.

I had a wicked fun time and it was interesting to shoot some stuff that I normally wouldn't touch otherwise. I only shot 10 rifle rounds from the bench, but it left me with more of a bruise than 15 3.5" supermags did at the Mansfield shoot. I had showed him and my uncle my collection Saturday and he told my mom that I was definitely "over-the-top". I took it as a compliment [rofl]

Last edited:
Some sweet guns. I like the stainless wheelgun the best. No bias here Nick.[smile]
He had said about two years ago that he had been wanting to get a 10mm revolver for a long time. I guess when he found out I had a Glock in 10 mil he had to get one himself [wink]

There is no question that when he goes hunting that he kills whatever he shoots...even if he misses [shocked] those are some serious calibers!!

It sounds like you had an awesome time! [cheers] It is always fun when you can spend time with your grandparents especially sharing such a great hobby!

Beautiful guns, and its cool to see you go shoot with your grandfather! I'd love to go with my grandpa, but I dont think he'd enjoy it much.... Thanks for sharing!

Nice post!!

Grandfathers generally have the coolest stuff. My grand-dad had one of the early production Winchester Carbine M94's and I loved shooting that thing - it would hit a bottle cap at 50 yards.

There is no question that when he goes hunting that he kills whatever he shoots...even if he misses [shocked] those are some serious calibers!!

It sounds like you had an awesome time! [cheers] It is always fun when you can spend time with your grandparents especially sharing such a great hobby!
I told him that John from C&F was going water buffalo hunting with a 350gr 45-70 loaded to almost 2000fps and he said that it wasn't big enough to take down a buffalo 'cleanly' [rofl]

Nice iron. I've had interest in the 6.5-06 cartridge.

If you need any info let me know and I'll try and find anything out.

Nice post!!

Grandfathers generally have the coolest stuff. My grand-dad had one of the early production Winchester Carbine M94's and I loved shooting that thing - it would hit a bottle cap at 50 yards.

The best thing is that we're so obviously on the opposite end of the spectrum. I love tacti-cool semi-autos and he likes the single-shot hunting stuff. We both love to shoot the biggest F'in round we can find though [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom