• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting range underground ?

On my way up to Maine for vacation I'm sitting in traffic listening to the radio, a comerical comes on for powerball up to 300 million . My wife asked me what would you buy ? I said four car garage with a shooting range underneath

Now I'm curious could you build an underground shooting range no expences spared in a residential neighbor hood ?

On my way up to Maine for vacation I'm sitting in traffic listening to the radio, a comerical comes on for powerball up to 300 million . My wife asked me what would you buy ? I said four car garage with a shooting range underneath

Now I'm curious could you build an underground shooting range no expences spared in a residential neighbor hood ?
The concept is not new. Back in the late 1970s, I read the story of the legendary El Paso-based private investigator, J.J. Armes (born Julian Armas).He is the man who lost both of his hands to a railroad torpedo explosion as a boy and was fitted with hooks. He was known as the Hollywood investigator, since he did work for many celebrities and once starred in the original "Hawaii Five -O" series, playing the villain "Hookman". Armes installed an underground shooting range which accommodates his large weapons collection. Photos in the book showed the range. It is 25 yards long with multiple bays to accommodate several shooters. It is under his house in El Paso, but not sure if it is under his garage. How far do you plan on shooting? Handguns only? Small-bore rifle? HP rifle? Shotgun? All of these factors are going to determine what you will need, construction-wise.

I visited a guy (many) years ago, that had a 50' range from his basement, out. It was in concrete pipe, with a target carrier and a light at the far end.

WRT Zoning, what's there to "Zone"? Dig Safe rules are about the only issue, aside from keeping on your own property.

The only practical issue IMO would be water - you might have to have that addressed if you live in a "damp" area.

Did a service call on the Northshore years ago. The homeowners dead husband had a range in his basement. just off of Humphrey st.
she could have had him buried there, probably a place he would have liked to stay for the rest of time.

I have built two below-grade ranges for clients. Both were beneath pretty spectacular custom homes with structural steel/concrete 1st floor decks. IIRC, the larger of the two was 100'Lx25'Wx12'H. I would have passed on many of the home's other extravagant features, but a full size basement range would be nice. I would, however, take an open field in a free-state over an indoor range in a metro suburb; shooting inside just never feels right to me.

PM me if you win!

Designate it as a 4-lane bowling alley on the plans

At it's current value, powerball would pay out $230 million lump sum, before taxes. For that kind of money, anything is possible. Tom Cruise only paid $10M for his retrofitted underground bunker.

It's certainly technically possible to build a shooting range underground, just expensive and difficult to do in compliance with building codes. If I had to build in a residential area, I'd designate it as a 4-lane bowling alley on the plans to justify the extra concrete and the soundproofing.

At it's current value, powerball would pay out $230 million lump sum, before taxes. For that kind of money, anything is possible. Tom Cruise only paid $10M for his retrofitted underground bunker.

It's certainly technically possible to build a shooting range underground, just expensive and difficult to do in compliance with building codes. If I had to build in a residential area, I'd designate it as a 4-lane bowling alley on the plans to justify the extra concrete and the soundproofing.

Building inspector: Nice bowling alley you had built here, but how come all the pins have bullet holes in them?

Owner: Well, whoever said you had to use a ball to knock the pins down?

Find the 100m indoor range rated for up to .50 BMG

Hint: The shooting line begins in the block just right from the log house, then goes underground. I'm supposed to be there for an event in 3 weeks. Kinda like the Gunpowderpig minus car target but with some piglets starring.

That said, the former Grand View Inn on some 300 acres in Jaffrey is for sale again.....

Last edited:
btw its up to $400 mill now. that's $161 mil lump sum after taxes in mass...
Powerball Jackpot Analysis

sorry, but when I win I will prob clear out many a LGS until I get a chance to move someplace better...

there are a few things i would buy but first i would pay off all debt then buy one "toy " item like a classic car or something

With that much money I would buy enough property and not hide shooting underground. I would have a nice bunker system built for the imminent collapse of this country and would stock it accordingly! Plus why would you ever want to shoot underground and deal with having to clean the air and maintain the system.

Charles.

Wouldn't an underground range also make a great shelter for a prepper? Probably lots of room for storage, definitely lots of living space, air systems...

Lottery taxation:

I figure that I'd be left with about 1/2 of the lump sum amount. You'll probably have just a little more than that, so you'll be thrilled instead of pissed when you realize that the withholding they did wasn't enough to cover the taxes.

I think you subtract your state taxes (mass 5%, I used to think it was unearned 12% but the 'net disagrees with me) Then subtract 39.6% from the remainder. Then again, that Federal state tax deduction might be phased out with income that high.

So that nice $400 million jackpot with a $230 million lump sum, figure you'll wind up with $115 million tax free, and when you wind up with $125-$131 million, you'll be happy.

IANATL and I've never claimed a multi-million dollar prize, so I could be wrong. :D

For that kind of scratch I'll buy a chunk of land in VT, NH or ME and build a 1000yd outdoor and underneath it I'll build a 100yd underground range and bunker complex.

Back
Top Bottom