• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting patterns

richc

NES Member
All,

Please be gentle... I am new at this!

I've been spending a fair bit of my range time shooting a CZ452. I have a "Leupold Riflescope Vx-Ii 3-9X33Mm Rimfire Efr Matte Fine Duplex 58710" mounted. And I'm shooting from a 6-9" Harris bipod.

I'm shooting at 50 yards right now and starting to get the hang of it. I'm finding that after warming up I can get 4 shots that touch near the target point and tend to look like a string of beads, and then there is that damn fifth shot. It is almost always 1/2 inch low, and maybe a touch left.

I have not paid attention to the order of the shots. I don't know if the low shot is first, last or in the middle, so I don't think I'm psyching myself out. Mostly that is because I just can't see all that well through the scope, and it is a PITA to get up and look through the spotting scope and lose my position and concentration.

Is this just something that should improve with practice? Or do you suspect I'm doing something wrong along the way? Or could it be the equipment (ya right).

Thanks,

Rich

Your groups should be round. If they're strung out vertically, check all the screws on the rifle,the rings and the mount. You should also try several loads to see what it likes best.

A vertical string is usually an indication of poor breathing patterns. Your point of aim will move up and down as you breathe in and out. If you fire at different points in your breathing cycle, your shots are going to land in a vertical string.

Short term solution:

Focus on your breathing as you shoot: Pick a point in your breath pattern to hold your breath. Most like to hold it after a full inhale (I hold just prior to a full exhale). When you hold your breath, hold it in your throat, not your diaphragm. Squeeze the trigger as you're holding your breath. Be sure to follow through with your shot before you release your breath (release at the same time you reset your trigger). Repeat as necessary.

Long term solution:

Attend an Appleseed shoot. There's a big one being held at Harvard next month. It's hands down the best rifle training our there for the money ($70 for a weekend, I believe). Bring your CZ, enough mag capacity for 40 rounds, about 500 rounds of ammo, and an open mind. You'll be amazed how much you will learn!

Back
Top Bottom