• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting death on the Cape

45collector

NES Member
As I said in another thread re: an attempted breaking & entering in front of a gun shop in Hyannis, the Dennis/Yarmouth/Hyannis area is becoming a total ghetto. The Yarmouth police department receives about 700 calls a week (that's one every 15 minutes) resulting in around 40 arrests weekly (drugs, domstic violence, robbery, OUI). Check out www.capecodtoday.com on a regular basis and you'll be horrified.

As usual, two pictures of the deceased emerge ...

According to the Cape Cod Times archives, Tomaselli has a criminal past. He was arrested, at age 19, in a South Yarmouth motel with nearly $28,000 in cash and more than 17 ounces of marijuana that police said had been bagged for distribution. That same year, he was found guilty on an earlier marijuana distribution charge and sentenced to two years in the Barnstable County Correctional Facility.

<snip>

Anthony Holzworth, 21, of Yarmouth described Tomaselli as a music lover, and "influential" rapper.

"He loved all kinds of music," Holzworth said. "He was a good family man. He loved his mother. He was there for everybody that needed him."

[thinking]

As I said in another thread re: an attempted breaking & entering in front of a gun shop in Hyannis, the Dennis/Yarmouth/Hyannis area is becoming a total ghetto. The Yarmouth police department receives about 700 calls a week (that's one every 15 minutes) resulting in around 40 arrests weekly (drugs, domstic violence, robbery, OUI). Check out www.capecodtoday.com on a regular basis and you'll be horrified.

Wow. Yarmouth seems so different to the tourists (ie; me).

Hyannis, Yarmouth and Dennis? Pretty broad statement. Lots of crime in Yarmouthport along 6A I'm sure.[rolleyes] Hyannisport/centerville/osterville are sooo dangerous! [rolleyes] That's a ridiculous statement. Select areas of EVERY major town have bad areas (especially in Hyannis and lets not even talk about what Dennisport has become...) but if I wanna see real crime I'll go off cape to Wareham, New Beige Fall Riv' or Lynne. While it has changed it's certainly not one big ghetto.

Last edited:
No of course the Cape is not one big ghetto. I just can't believe this went down at a part of Yarmouth that's usually quiet and uneventful.

I'm willing to bet this was a drug deal gone bad.

I'm from Harwich, it was a pretty decent town..good people but everywhere has shitty people and it all comes from this "thug life" mentality...Orleans even has a lot of heroin and pill use and just plain old scummy skate rats. I moved to South Dennis, right near the Police station and theres section 8 housing here and there, we had a recent uprise in car theft near my neighborhood, but South Yarmouth is the worst.. one of my best friends was living in an apartment right near a neighborhood where a 16 year old accidentally shot his friend with his gun in the leg and was in fact a drug dealer..the reason my family moved here was because some mother f***er put a gun to my fathers head..we came to the Cape because it was nice..but its definitely changing, and I'll be glad to get my LTC soon...

"He said he would like to meet God, Al Pacino and Machiavelli, and "any other people of deep insight."

Two out of three ain't bad. Going to have to wait a few more years for Pacino.

Hyannis, Yarmouth and Dennis? Pretty broad statement. Lots of crime in Yarmouthport along 6A I'm sure.[rolleyes] Hyannisport/centerville/osterville are sooo dangerous! [rolleyes] That's a ridiculous statement. Select areas of EVERY major town have bad areas (especially in Hyannis and lets not even talk about what Dennisport has become...) but if I wanna see real crime I'll go off cape to Wareham, New Beige Fall Riv' or Lynne. While it has changed it's certainly not one big ghetto.

Sorry Bro but as a lifetime Cape Codder, those areas have become a total pit.

So sad to read that things aren't what they used to be even back in the 80s. The "thug life" crap really is sickening. I don't know where that came from but I noticed it seemed to creep out of nowhere and infect a lot of younger people especially.

There are some pretty big drug problems on the Cape with weekly busts (relatively big, coke, heroin, precription drugs, etc.). The Cape is pretty close to Boston and I've heard a lot of the bad element that has seeped in is from there in an attempt to stay under the radar.

Sorry Bro but as a lifetime Cape Codder, those areas have become a total pit.
I've grown up here, my parents moved away from LI NY to have and raise children because the city element has been working it's way down the island for years. I will be the first one to admit there's alot more bad stuff going on here now then when I was a kid but to generalize that those whole areas are bad is silly. Yes, there's a significant drug problem here but much of it has existed for years and is only now rearing it's ugly head. Lets not forget about the heroin use on the lower cape either.
I grew up off of 6A in Yarmouthport and my mother still lives there. It's still a VERY nice place to live. Some areas of Hyannis are down right disgusting. I will agree that S Yarmouth and W Yarmouth have taken a turn for the
worse but there's certainly plenty of nice neighborhoods in both towns.

It's mostly OK, some cruddy parts of S.Yarmouth and a few too many wannabe gangsters. The "affordable housing" complex in S. Yarmouth tends to attract some...interesting...people though.

I assume you're talking about SPV?

I knew a kid that was murdered there a few years back. In fact I knew the kid that murdered him too. It escalated out of nothing more than a scuffle at a party.

As far as the whole "thug life" thing, That element has been around for years. It's nothing new. I'd say that element has been growing on the Cape over the years, but there's always been those unfortunate kids who had zero opportunities, parents that can't parent, teachers who don't care. It sucks. Life isn't fair. But not every kid who grows up in a "lower income" situation turns out gangsta.

It seems to me that nowadays kids are willing to go further to prove themselves. That "nothing to lose" mentality sinks in deep.

You gotta love this one...
moneyburnz1.jpg

You want to place blame on teachers for how kids turn out?[rolleyes]

Of course not. But you can't argue with the fact that there are some teachers who are much more dedicated to what they're doing than others.

I know one person from that allstar lineup. Well, I haven't seem them in years, but still. [hmmm]

Teachers are limited due to parents that do not value their children and thier children's education. They were born welfare class and only know welfare class. The parents encourage bad behavior now that ADHD is a disability check. Now those kids are having kids and guess what...they only know one thing. How to work the system.

The schools have become over run with problem children due to poor parenting and dependence on the government

Back
Top Bottom