Shooting AK-47 in CT

So, I live in Ma and own a coverted Saiga 7.62 x 39. I know that this would be illegal to own in Ct. because it is a ak 47 "type" rifle.

My question is: Can I legally shoot the gun at a private CT. gun club "IF" I live in Ma. where its legal to own??

Any advice would be great, I would really like to join a club in CT with some friends, however if I can not bring my Saiga Im all set.

Thanks

Not 100% sure on this, but I would think ownership would transfer into possession. IE, if you can't own, you can't be in possession of it. If you were driving through the state on your way to a shoot off, it might be one thing. But bringing it into the state with the intention of shooting here might be another. Like I said, not 100% sure though.

Instant felony when you cross the state line.

Not quite.

If you were passing through and it was stored properly, you would be fine.

One grey area might be if you were competing in an organized shooting match with the gun in CT.

Given your description of your outing though, you would definitely be in violation of the CT AWB.

Go buy another Saiga in .223. Any AK is legal in CT as long as its not 7.62 x 39. Ha. The absurdity is just amazing.

Don

tmitney,
If you were just passing through, you would be covered by the safe passage part of FOPA. It explicitly states that as long as the gun is stored per the law and is legal at your point of origin and destination, then you can legally take it through any state or town even if it is illegal to have in that state or town.

So it wouldn't be illegal. If you need references let me know. If you google safe passage, fopa, you should get all you need.

Thanks for the info guys. Its to bad. I would never give up my 7.62 AK for a .223. thats just wrong in my book. I find it very interesting though that I can go shoot an SKS in CT, but not a 7.62 AK. Who makes these laws??

anyway thanks

complete idiots who know nothing about firearms..haha. A lot of people I know have AK-74's (5.45x39mm) because thats legal here...ammo is pretty cheap too....

Its not how the law was written, but how the courts have applied the law.

The law simply bans all "Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type".

Its been decided in case law that an AK is a certain caliber and since all the parts of similar guns but of a different caliber are not interchangeable then it is not the same TYPE.

The discussions have revolved around the legal meaning of the word type.

Hope this helps.

Don

p.s. Here's a link to the actual statute: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

as i see it

So, I live in Ma and own a coverted Saiga 7.62 x 39. I know that this would be illegal to own in Ct. because it is a ak 47 "type" rifle.

My question is: Can I legally shoot the gun at a private CT. gun club "IF" I live in Ma. where its legal to own??

Any advice would be great, I would really like to join a club in CT with some friends, however if I can not bring my Saiga Im all set.

Thanks

keep in mind this is my interpretation of the law,so please dont go solely by my statement,rather try & find a pro-gun state trooper to contact.granted there are local codes too but an overall look should suffice.a pro-gun l.e.o. is most likely to give you the true law rather than say someone who just works at ct dps & you call for advice & they just steer you in the wrong direction.the reason i say that is ive heard 100's of stories from other ct residents who have called the dps numerous times only to get conflicting & false info.
now as i have read,providing in your home state you are permitted to own & fire a weapon you can legally transport & use here as well. the catches are that when any weapon is in transport it has to be inoperable & out of reach.as a rule of thumb i always keep a lock on the gun & have it secured in a case of some sort.ammo has to be kept separate & again just for peace of mind its a locked box.keep it all in the trunk & if you have a truck,i would assume a bed tool box is the equivalent.
another thing is ive heard cops are much more kind if you keep your hands on the wheel in the event you are pulled over for some reason.
like i said its only my interpretation & a gun friendly l.e.o. is you best bet

Corpse,

Transport has nothing to do with local law. Its all in FOPA. As I said earlier, look up the terms of the safe passage clause. This covers every state in the land. On a practical matter, CT LEOs don't make a point of hassling people who are passing through and have everything in the trunk.

There have only been 2 prosecutions of people under the state's AWB. The first was a NRA sponsored test case. The person essentially asked to be arrested so that the NRA could attempt to get the law overturned in court.

The second was an idiot who was drinking in a restaurant and then brought the gun into a restaurant, uncased it and showed it to his friends. The police were called. Then, if I remember right, he tried to discard the gun in the woods nearby. Idiot.

Two - thats it. And neither was the result of an active police desire to nail someone.

So again, on a practical level, if you don't go looking for trouble, you won't find it transporting a gun covered by the AWB through CT.

As I said above, bringing it into the state to shoot with some friends, would definitely be illegal.

Bringing it in for use in formal training or an officially sanctioned shooting match, I'm not going to guess at. Thats the really grey area that I'd be interested in learning about.
And again, all this only applies to 7.62 x 39 AK variants. Any other caliber and the weapon is covered by the evil features part of the law . i.e. no flash hider, collapsible stock, threaded bbl, or bayonet lug.

Don
p.s. Again, for reference: http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the imput again. I still think its all BS. All these laws have so many grey areas and loop holes. Most cops dont even know the laws they are surpose to enforce. Im sure a CT trooper would tell me its ok, but I doubt he/she would come to my rescue if I was caught.

I guess I'll just have to leave my Ak at home and bring my SKS instead. one way or another im going litter CT with the evil 7.62 x 39 round [rofl]

Years ago a I called the weapons division in Middletown with a question. I don't remember what it was, but the officer was very helpful.

Towards the end i said to him, "for my own protection, I'm going to put the phone on speaker phone and record that part of our call, I'm going to summarize our discussion, at the end I'd just like you to say that you agree and give your name and badge number".

He declined and at that point suggested I call the Attorney General's office.

Don

The saiga's are only not sold here in ct is the saiga in 7,62x39. But i can buy a saiga here in Ct in 223 and in 308win. The only semi auto rifle sold here in 7,62x39 is the sks its silly. It's confusing and no one will take a stand on whats allowable or not.

Of course they will take a stand. There is a state police letter and/or a court decision confirming that as long as its not 7.62x39 then an AK style gun is legal.

Granted, it is confusing, but there now is pretty clear guidance on AKs.

Back
Top Bottom