shooting a 38 special for the first time today...

just bought a 38 special. shooting for the first time today.

first,

Its a 38 special +p I can shoot 38 special right?

second,

is my hand gonna kill?

yes you can. no it wont.

38 special is a relatively light load with mild recoil - even 38 +P's are fairly tame. When you get to .357 Magnums however, those can kick like a mule depending on the gun. If its a big heavy 686 with 6" barrel for example, its a little tamer than a little air weight 340PD in .357. The lower the mass of the gun, generally speaking, the greater the felt recoil.

Last edited:
I don't mind shooting my snubbie 38. In the cold it bites more then in the warmth of spring or summer. Enjoy.

Shooting my 442 is approaching unpleasant, especially with +p ammo. Shooting out of a 686 is a joy, however. It all depends on the mass of the gun and using a proper grip. I occasionally don't get the right grip on my 442, and it reminds me each time.

my old air weight 38 spl snubbie is not bad to shoot at all. my grandson shot it after shooting about a hundred rounds of 45 and after the first five from the snubby he said that the recoil felt worse than the 45. i had to explain to him that the 6 45 bullets weighed almost as much as the snubby. they dont but he understood what i was telling him.

38 special will not be overwhelming in most guns. Even +p+ in the bulkier guns doesn't feel like much at all. I wouldn't want to fire off too many in an aluminum alloy framed revolver though.

my bad.

work got in the way of my job as a forum poster.

hahaha

i just bought a 642 off the classified section.

LOVE the feel of the gun, perfect size for my hand.

just hear that because its so light and alloy, it'll kick like a mule.

i'm not worried...just wondered.

my bad.

work got in the way of my job as a forum poster.

hahaha

i just bought a 642 off the classified section.

LOVE the feel of the gun, perfect size for my hand.

just hear that because its so light and alloy, it'll kick like a mule.

i'm not worried...just wondered.

I have a 442 and carry it daily. Same gun, different color. I wouldn't say it kicks like a mule, but the recoil is certainly noticeable. It takes some getting used to if you're transitioning from semi-autos. It definitely has more felt recoil than my 1911 because of the light weight.

Jose had a great post in a thread around here somewhere about tips for shooting lightweight J frames. He even posted a picture displaying the proper grip. You should check it out.

just bought a 38 special. shooting for the first time today.

first,

Its a 38 special +p I can shoot 38 special right?

second,

is my hand gonna kill?

First: Sure ya can.
Second:From your post sounds like you might have a snubbie. If it's steel, no recoil problems. If it's alluminum, you're going to feel some. If it's scandium, You're going to feel it, even if it's not plus p (depending on model). I know cause I love my little S&W 337PD. The lightest J frame Smith ever built & even factory .38 feels like a bomb going off in your hand.

I found on my Mod. 38 Bodyguard that a Hogue boot grip made it more controllable without making it more difficult to conceal. Shoots remarkably accurate with the right grip.

Notice in the following picture, that the +P is right on the barrel.......

If your frame doesn't have that +P on it, then you DO NOT HAVE the +P model, and S&W does NOT suggest that you shoot +P's from it.

If, on the other hand, yours DOES have the +P on the barrel, then congrats, have fun, and shoot all the +P's you want....

So, which model is it????

wear.jpg

Back
Top Bottom