• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting 2 Guns for Steel Challenge

So I mentioned at the last SC match at HSC that I would ask here what the folks thought
about allowing shooters to shoot 2 guns in a squad.
2018 Steel Challenge @ Harvard Sportsmens Club

The Steel Challenge at Harvard Sportsmen’s club is a fairly non-stress/beginners welcome
competition. I’m not there to “win” as the prize money never seems to get any better :) and those
dang PCC’s & Rimfire Rifle folks always kick my butt anyways, this is more a practice match for me
for when I travel to some of the other larger events around the country, and I’m not alone.
Then again, shooting more is never a bad thing either!!

Some of those other folks have approached me about shooting a second gun at the monthly
matches, some clubs do this and have little to no problems. I’ve seen it done good & bad.

So here’s where I’m asking the shooters who pony up the dollars what they think.

As far as adding time to the overall match it would be like adding more guns to the match,
these folks asking to shoot a second gun shoot pretty darn fast so it shouldn’t add a ton of time.
I would ask (demand is more like it!) that these 2 gun shooters go above and beyond to make
the match move along and that their 2 guns are not adding time. This would mean having plenty
of mags for their 2 guns, not being “that guy” that’s always fussing with their gear and preparing
for their next run.
As I say at every match at the shooters meeting, “everybody works”, if your shooting 2 guns you
should be working twice as hard !!

I think I would mix up the 2 gun shooters, or would all of them on one squad be better?
(this would be bad if all my RO’s decided to shoot 2guns!!)

For Mike with the stats I think it would be simple, what we’re talking about here is shooting
another division, not shooting the same gun twice.

Nook operators would need to make sure they have the correct score sheet.

Whether all on one squad or mixed in with other shooters do they shoot back to back or rotate
through? SC Rules state for level 2 or higher that they shoot, sit for at least 1 other shooter and
then they could shoot their other gun. (I on the other hand would want all shooters to shoot their
1st gun and then the 2nd gun shooters can finish up the squad)

I think $10 for the 2nd gun would be fair.

I may be missing some points but from here I’ll turn it over to you folks and let me know what
you think.

Thanks, Dave Parker

I’m one of the shooters that enjoys to shoot 2 guns so i vote yes !yes !yes !

It does not add time its like Dave said its adding another gun so if one squad has 10 shooters and another has 12 its because 2 shooters on the first squad are running 2 guns both squads have 12 guns

Ive done it both ways back to back with both guns and also let everyone shoot there first gun and then 2 gunners go. I don’t care/mind either way

My opinion is to mix up the 2 gunners with single shooters i think it runs smoother that way but then again I’ve shot with a full squad of 2 gunners and it ran fine too
so that’s up to you Dave and mike

I can see this working smoothly if one gun is rimfire or PCC (and thus bagged) and one is centerfire (and thus in a holster). Otherwise, wouldn't the shooter need to go to the safe table and swap rigs? I'm thinking about someone who wants to shoot, say, production & open.

I was originally against this. I was assuming we'd do it the old way and have a second run at the end after everyone shot one gun. I say we give it a try at the next match.

With the new "flag and bag" rule, we've done it like this.
Shooter A is listed in the squad twice, not consecutively.
Shooter A uses first gun, flags and bags, goes back. This gives time for the next few shooters (B,C,D) to get through, and shooter A to reload mags, get equipment, whatever else.
Shooter A returns with 2nd gun.
Rinse, repeat.

I see it mostly with rimfire shooters, they either want to run rfro and rfri, or rfpo and rfro.
If the demand got big enough, we'd probably run all 2nd guns through after the initial match. Right now we're only at 5 or 6 shooters w/ 2 guns. These shooters are inherently faster anyways, so it might add 10-15 mins to the overall match, and thats first shot fired to complete stage takedown/ clearing all the ranges.

Dave

so I started SC at my Club last year and do to time constraints and how our range is set up we limit SC to 50 shooters, this includes my RO/Staff. last year i didn't allow any second guns. this year ( 2 matches in) i have allowed a second gun with some notes and restrictions that you have mentioned.

be ready to shoot, have 5 magazines for both disciplines, as Dan mentions above, we had 4 or 5 shooters in april, and (1) in May. so it does work. obviously the person shooting is probably going to shoot well, and competitively fast. I personally font think that the second gun should be a " well i want to try this gun, this month " . it really needs to be the shooter that has a SC/USPSA # is shooting for score to better their classification, in my opinion.

We did charge $10 for second gun so you are right in line with that.

since we limit our day to 50 shooters, no one is allowed to register 2 guns from the start. i usually email the registered shooters with 5 days to go with a " first come first serve " for the ( XX ) open spots for second gun, this way my match fills up and i have no walk-ins to deal with on match day.
we use tablets, so the RO/Scorekeeper does need to watch to make sure the shooter is being scored the correct score for say RFRO vs RFRI. and staggering like others have said to keep the squad going.. A,B,C,D A2, E F, etc.....

and yes, shooting 2 guns does not get you out of working/painting...

As long as the gun count per squad is kept as equal as possible, I have no
objections to doing this. I enjoy watching fast shooters as well.

I'd shoot two guns if possible, PCC and RFRO, at the regular match. I'd prefer shooting them back to back rather than switching in and out twice. I have a double case, although two separate cases would work too. After shooting I'd then reload both sets of magazines. Unfortunately, this can slow down the squad a bit if everybody doesn't help out, but it's still doable.
Yes, squad people based on the number of guns, not the number of shooters.
$10 for the second gun sounds about right.

Back
Top Bottom