Shooter's NH two locations

Anyone seen primers at Shooter's in Hooksett? Though won't make the trip if they still have 200 limit
LOL...I was in there a few weeks ago wandering around. I knew going in there that I wasn't going to be seeing any reasonably (pre-election) priced factory ammo or primers to buy and I was right. I was walking past the reloading showcase and a guy behind the counter asked if he could help me...I chuckled as said no, not for a long time...he looked at me quizzically...I said "primers" and he laughed. "sucks doesn't it", he said.

Actually, I'm ok with primers for now. I'm not reloading at the moment (everything is in storage awaiting the big move to Missouri), so once I start again, hopefully there will be some more on the market to supplement what I have.

One of the things that has been really pissing me off lately is the fact that ammunition and component prices at the wholesale level are THE SAME as they've been for several years.

So it has been the dealers marking things up ridiculously.

It was nice to go to Shooters Outpost recently (5 weeks ago) and buy primers at $35 per box of 1000. I give them a lot of credit for this.

I was there a couple weeks ago and was able to buy 200 SPP and 200 SRP. I needed to be in the area anyway, guess that was better than zero primers! They were marked up some, think it was like $8ish per 100.

So it has been the dealers marking things up ridiculously.

Is it just the dealers? [rofl] Apparently you missed the text message that Jim from SO had posted on his stores FB page from a mid level distributor (this was months ago) showing the cosby level raping going on at the 2nd or 3rd tier of distribution? (This was months ago, he had a rep from a dist quoting him $500 cost for a case of 9mm, only if he bought a shitload of
it. Needless to say he didn't buy any, out of principle. )

Yes, shops are getting more, but most of the rape is happening at the mids. Having seen this movie before, the mids are always the biggest
rapists, and you can't really blame them, because desperate shops (and their even more desperate customer base) keep buying tons of their overpriced shit.

SOME of the mids, are doing their dealers a solid and sticking to whatever their "dock price plus X pct" that they've always used, formula.

Many other mids are not, they're just turning the knobs based on market conditions.

If you really want to point a blame finger though, it really belongs pointed at "newb shooter 65,536 or whoever" because they won't take their 4 boxes or whatever
and then make a concious decision to back away from the table, and instead are doubling down on the shit prices and paying like $800-$900 a case for 9mm without hesitation. If you have a parade of morons willing to pay that, then the market is going to go "Oh, OK, ill sell it for that then" and most people are not going to sell themselves short.

Is it just the dealers? [rofl] Apparently you missed the text message that Jim from SO had posted on his stores FB page from a mid level distributor (this was months ago) showing the cosby level raping going on at the 2nd or 3rd tier of distribution? (This was months ago, he had a rep from a dist quoting him $500 cost for a case of 9mm, only if he bought a shitload of

Yes, shops are getting more, but most of the rape is happening at the mids. Having seen this movie before, the mids are always the biggest
rapists, and you can't really blame them, because desperate shops (and their even more desperate customer base) keep buying tons of their overpriced shit.

SOME of the mids, are doing their dealers a solid and sticking to whatever their "dock price plus X pct" that they've always used, formula.

Many other mids are not, they're just turning the knobs based on market conditions.

If you really want to point a blame finger though, it really belongs pointed at "newb shooter 65,536 or whoever" because they won't take their 4 boxes or whatever
and then make a concious decision to back away from the table, and instead are doubling down on the shit prices and paying like $800-$900 a case for 9mm without hesitation. If you have a parade of morons willing to pay that, then the market is going to go "Oh, OK, ill sell it for that then" and most people are not going to sell themselves short.

Yep, new guys are paying FOMO prices. Then stocking up at FOMO prices. Welcome to the new normal, for now

Of course its impossible to know and with recent difficulties I would wonder what the margin would be on 6 million of Ammo.

All shops are putting in ridiculous orders not expecting them to be filled anytime soon. When the ammo industry says they have $1`B+ of orders sure but how many will be cancelled, once they start coming in? Wait for the glut . . .

All shops are putting in ridiculous orders not expecting them to be filled anytime soon. When the ammo industry says they have $1`B+ of orders sure but how many will be cancelled, once they start coming in? Wait for the glut . . .
You’re dreaming if you think there’s going to be a glut of anything in the next couple years or longer. I can see people crapping out on guns sure because there’s a lot of retards that bought a lot of guns they don’t need but ammo will stay tight. When some relief appears people will be buying hard for awhile.

You’re dreaming if you think there’s going to be a glut of anything in the next couple years or longer. I can see people crapping out on guns sure because there’s a lot of retards that bought a lot of guns they don’t need but ammo will stay tight. When some relief appears people will be buying hard for awhile.
Funny, I've been buying pretty steady for the last few years. Going back to my roots as a sourcing & inventory guy, I started putting min qty on hand for all the calibers I shoot... worked out pretty good so far. Haven't really had to over pay for much of anything considering the current supply and demand situation.

Funny, I've been buying pretty steady for the last few years. Going back to my roots as a sourcing & inventory guy, I started putting min qty on hand for all the calibers I shoot... worked out pretty good so far. Haven't really had to over pay for much of anything considering the current supply and demand situation.
[rofl]What did you pay per round for your last purchase of 9mm?

The last 9mm that I bought was $0.67 per round - however, I don't shoot (or should i say I rarely shoot/buy fmj's) these were Underwood 124gr +p BJHP. The time before that was extreme penetraters and they are never cheap.

Last edited:

Mike, its 99% the dealer. I still have access to wholesale prices online. I can see the prices. This is from just now. When they get a shipment of this, the salesmen will get allocated a certain quantity to sell to the dealers they choose. If you buy enough, you get it at this price.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.22.48 AM.png

Mike, its 99% the dealer. I still have access to wholesale prices online. I can see the prices. This is from just now. When they get a shipment of this, the salesmen will get allocated a certain quantity to sell to the dealers they choose. If you buy enough, you get it at this price.

View attachment 448877
I was told by a friend (whose an ffl here in NH) that all the prices are going up too.

View attachment 448877
I have done the math a couple times on a retail storefront and never can see profit in it. Ignoring the times we are in now. Wholesale to MSRP is a loss on that price list with expenses. Obviously some people are successful in the business but how?

View attachment 448877
Wow!!! Those are great prices! Too bad zero availability. [slap]

Lol, so you have access to pricing info that's the better part of a year old. That's adorable. [rofl] I do too, Prices are set out of band now by reps with allocated product, on the fly. Assuming a dealer can even -GET- any allocated product. Yes, dealers make more these days, but it is not what you think it is. Like as an example I know a dealer who got some 357 sig in for some of his customers that wanted it badly. He had to sell it over a dollar a round. I saw the invoice for it (from the distributor) and the shit was like $45/box, at his COST.

ETA: Yes, dealers are taking more, but to suggest that is the bulk of the increase? Not really telling the whole story.

Last edited:
I have done the math a couple times on a retail storefront and never can see profit in it. Ignoring the times we are in now. Wholesale to MSRP is a loss on that price list with expenses. Obviously some people are successful in the business but how?

Volume. It's not just selling ammo its all kinds of stuff, and lots of it. Other products in a gun shop have a much higher markup, too. You also need a core customer base that will be
around even when things are slow.

Volume. It's not just selling ammo its all kinds of stuff, and lots of it. Other products in a gun shop have a much higher markup, too. You also need a core customer base that will be
around even when things are slow.
Yup. Most businesses identify a loss leader that will bring customers through the door, with the expectation that once they're in the store they're more likely to buy additional items. In the case of the big stores like Shooter's, it's ammo.

In the alcohol business, it was the 1.75Ltr bottle. Most larger stores make $1-2/bottle on those (including supplier kickbacks), and count on ancillary wine/craft beer/etc. purchases to boost that average transaction size and increase the margin. Despite her consistency, the little old lady who buys a 1.75Ltr bottle of Dewar's every week is actually your worst customer, because she'll NEVER buy anything other than that one item.

Yup. Most businesses identify a loss leader that will bring customers through the door, with the expectation that once they're in the store they're more likely to buy additional items. In the case of the big stores like Shooter's, it's ammo.

In the alcohol business, it was the 1.75Ltr bottle. Most larger stores make $1-2/bottle on those (including supplier kickbacks), and count on ancillary wine/craft beer/etc. purchases to boost that average transaction size and increase the margin. Despite her consistency, the little old lady who buys a 1.75Ltr bottle of Dewar's every week is actually your worst customer, because she'll NEVER buy anything other than that one item.
One of my customers has a liquor store... that business is savage, finger bleeding compared to even a gun shop. That's even more volume dependent. Competition is fierce and margins are doodoo.

I was told by a friend (whose an ffl here in NH) that all the prices are going up too.
Yes. They have gone up. From 9.00 per box of blazer to 9.65. See my photo of ACTUAL wholesale prices that a small dealer would get.

Think about it. its self serving to make you all think their costs are going up. The reality is they are up maybe 10-15%. Not 300%!!!!

See my photo of ACTUAL wholesale prices that a small dealer would get.
Please PM me the name of a small dealer who can get me some ammo at those prices. I'd really appreciate it. My own small dealer pulls up that same screen every time I'm there and nothing... literally zero... is ever actually available in any caliber at those prices. It's just like the low prices for unavailable ammo at TSUSA. It's kind of a bad joke on us all.

Low prices are great, but only if there is actual ammo to be had at those low prices. 🤔

EJ - small dealers can see the price. But they can't get the stuff.

A larger dealer who these wholesalers actually ship the ammo to get discounts over and above the numbers I showed.

MY point was that this was not even really good dealer pricing. The dealer account that this pricing is associated with is very small.

If you were to long into this wholesaler with a 4 Seasons account, the prices would be a LOT lower. Or 4 Seasons buys direct from the ammo manufacturer for even lower prices.

So again. NO PRICE INCREASES AT THE WHOLESALE LEVEL. They are lying to you.

EJ - small dealers can see the price. But they can't get the stuff.

A larger dealer who these wholesalers actually ship the ammo to get discounts over and above the numbers I showed.

MY point was that this was not even really good dealer pricing. The dealer account that this pricing is associated with is very small.

If you were to long into this wholesaler with a 4 Seasons account, the prices would be a LOT lower. Or 4 Seasons buys direct from the ammo manufacturer for even lower prices.

So again. NO PRICE INCREASES AT THE WHOLESALE LEVEL. They are lying to you.

Lol this post is pretty disingenuous.

Not every dealer is buying ammo at that level. Not every wholesale distribution outfit is selling ammo for that price. Next time you see Jim at SO ask him, he’s going to tell you what i just said, and likely show you proof of some of the f***ery going on at wholesale, too. He is big enough to get allocation at better prices but a lot of others are not. @CrackPot oulined the idisribution structure in another thread, It would appear you’re not very familiar with it.

I would suggest not calling a dealer a liar unless you know where they’re actually buying their product from and what level of privilege they have. Most small dealers are not getting any allocation and you know it... Means that those dealers have to go to other wholesale sources which are not gonna offer the kind of prices you’re posting. There are people right now that I know they do good six-figure numbers with some of these distributors and they get a big fat zero for allocation on ammo from any of these big distributors. Or sometimes the quantities are so small as to be embarrassing. Means that if those guys want to sell ammo they have to buy it from somebody at worse tier selling it for more money.

Went to Amherst today as I saw on facepage that they had an ammo delivery. A bunch of odd cartridges (.300 WinMag, 6.5 Swede) and a little 5.56 and .30-06, but none of the .30-30 I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom