Shipping Rifle

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I've been searching and haven't found an answer yet.

I bought my dad a surplus Garand about 15 years ago for him to add to a memorbilia display. He lived in NH at the time. He's since retired to WV and said if I want it I can have it. I'm thinking about taking him up on the offer but need to find out about shipping it. Does it need to be dealer to dealer, or can he ship it directly to me? It was originally bought by me but I can't remember what was done back then paperwork-wise. I guess technically I still own it?

I have the serial#. Will that give me any information or do I need to find the year/mfg via some other place?

Thanks for any help.

This is considered an interstate transfer . Which means it will have to be received
by an FFL on your end. (check with the ffl to make sure your dad can ship it to the ffl.
While legal often a dealer won't accept a gun from a non-ffl.)

Like Pilgrim said, if you (or one of your friends) has a C&R license (Type 03 FFL - Collector of Curios and Relics), you Dad can ship it directly.

I'd help you out, but I'm in Mass. Maybe someone local to you will step up.

Thanks. I talked to someone at State Line in Mason and he said my dad could just ship it directly to them and I can do whatever paperwork there. For $30 I didn't think that sounded bad.

Like Pilgrim said, if you (or one of your friends) has a C&R license (Type 03 FFL - Collector of Curios and Relics), you Dad can ship it directly.

Bad idea. ATF specifically calls this out as a 'do not do this' situation in the documents they send with your C&R license, as they consider this dealing in firearms even though no money changes hands. They don't specifically say it's illegal, but clearly convey the message that it will make them grumpy.

Tell me about getting a C&R and the wait. The ATF processed the fee of $30 about a month ago, yet i still have not yet gotten anything in the mail, sorry to mini-hi-jack the the tread, just wanted to give you a heads up it might take a while to get the C&R license.

Back
Top Bottom