• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping preban rifles and handguns to MA

DJBrad

NES Member
So I’ve talked to one particular ffl that would transfer any preban firearm as long as it has a paper trail such as original receipt, Manufacturers online serial confirmation of date, etc.

I am looking at a Norinco NHM, Mak90, or 84S in 5.56 and most Gunbroker sellers do not have this kind of paperwork.

Does anyone have any more info on this matter about the paper trail requirement? I understand the concern of an ffl/dealer to cover their behind.

So is it customary to not accept any transfer of commonly known preban rifles or other guns that obviously were made before 1994 such as a Norinco BHM92 (made in 1992)?

This is quite annoying and yes I know several are for sale here on NES and through dealers who sell consignments.

Well, all Chinese rifles are "preban", and all of those rifles are Chinese... import of Chinese rifles was halted a good bit before the 1994 ban. Now we can only get shotguns.

Get yourself a better dealer. That's pretty obvious provenance. I could see wanting a certificate from Colt or something, but otherwise, c'mon...

As long as there is some evidence that the serial is preban, you should be all set. After all, the burden of proof (that you committed a violation) is on the commonwealth, and I have yet to meet the lowly police officer or AG rep who is going to trail the custody of an out of state rifle back 30 years.

As for the FFL, just call around. Its not an uncommon concept to have a preban rifle shipped in. I personally imported a Colt HBAR not too long ago without issue.

HOWEVER

I'm not sure where Frizzle here is getting his info. There are absolutely post-ban Chinese AK variants floating around. I personally have seen at least one 84S.

HOWEVER

I'm not sure where Frizzle here is getting his info. There are absolutely post-ban Chinese AK variants floating around. I personally have seen at least one 84S.
Haven't Norinco military-style rifles been banned for import since 1989?
I know a few vendors were using Chinese parts kits for builds, but those are on US receivers.

Import of Chinese rifles was banned on May 26 of 1994. Period.

That's months before the 1994 AWB was enacted, on September 13th of 1994.

If your Chinese rifle seems to have "post-ban" configuration (a thumbhole stock, welded thread protector, or a shaved bayonet lug, etc), that means it was brought in after 1989 and was modified prior to import, to comply with import regulations which took effect that time (sometimes referred to as the "Bush Ban").

Provided you kept with 922(r), as an individual or as a gunsmith you could change the "sporting configuration" of those rifles to "assault configuration" without being in violation of any law (once the gun was in the country). The MAK-90 exists because of those regulations, and the reason there are so many variants (milled receivers, shaved barrel threads, etc) is that a good number of them were full-feature AKM clones pulled back to the factory for conversion before export. The same is true of the NHMs.

A quick Google search will confirm this.

Haven't Norinco military-style rifles been banned for import since 1989?

Yes and no. See above. From 89-94 there were "sporting configuration" variants of "military-style rifles" brought in which were based on AKMs and RPKs (among other things; including the M14, AR15, SVD, and more) but were neutered to comply with the 1989 import regulations. This configuration difference was similar but not identical to the configuration of "ar-esque" rifles sold lawfully between 94 and 04 under the AWB.

Import of any/all rifles ceased before the 94 ban took effect. Pistols were banned as well. This was done regardless of configuration and was based on, among other things, some shady Chinese arms deals - not "assaulty guns". Now all "we" can get are shotguns.

Last edited:
Working on getting a MAK-90 the past couple days as we speak so I’m good. Thnx fellas, for the feedback and knowledge.

Just watch out for the contraband ones that had the "third hole" with the rivet in. There is still some floating around.

Otherwise good to go. Four season had one or two last I looked.

Pew pew pew

I’m liking this AK alot

Nice!! Is this at a private range or is this on your property? Congrats on getting the MAK. I had one as my first AK and it shot/functioned well. I sold it just weeks before the 7/20 bs. Got a Arsenal SAM7 to replace it...

My club in central MA and I am smitten with this MAK. It has some age but like my guitars it has mellowed I’m sure. I’m thinking of changing the stock/grip/forend to an aftermarket 922r compliance but may do nothing other than shape the thumb hole with rasps and files to get a better grip. It’s not that bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom