Shipping for hunting/sporting in another state

M

MACGYVR

Ok I did use the search feature for about 45 min and could not find a clear answer.

I want to ship my O/U shotgun to myself at an address in NY.
Going to do some trap and skeet over the holidays but am not going to be able to fly with it due to some crazy international travel. Ultimately I end up in Rochester, NY.

I understand that UPS and FedEx will only deal with FFL shipments (they dont care I have an 03FFL it seems).

From what I understand I can go to USPS and ship it priority mail to myself.

Any advice before I go to the post office?

It is in an aluminium case (solid aluminim none of that riveted stuff).
Nothing is on the case. Bare aluminum with a padlock and locking bar.

You have no legal obligation to tell USPS what you are shipping if they don't ask. I'd suggest you put it all in a cardboard box and then just go in there and ship it. If they figure out what it is, they have a right to inspect it to make sure it's not loaded.

I shipped two handguns to myself in Colorado UPS two years ago with no problems. I even told the driver what I was shipping and had no problem. UPS's web site says you must notify the driver and the driver told me I didnt have to tell him. Just like every other company nobody knows their own rules.

I also ship handguns to the manufacturer using UPS and they shipped them back to me using FedEx. Just like the law says. Although they both say you must ship handguns overnight. Ground is ok with a long gun.

Last edited:
UPS's web site says you must notify the driver and the driver told me I didnt have to tell him.

Yeah, I've shipped several handguns via UPS. Every time I've informed the driver like I'm supposed to, and every time I've gotten a "yeah... so what?" look from him.

So I should just stick a priority mail label on it and send it like anything else?
For all they know it could be a musical instrument.

I don't recall, but I think you have to declare it's a firearm. Take a copy of the law that states you can mail a firearm to yourself with you in case whoever is at the counter doesn't know the law. I'll bet they do. My brother sent me an Argentine rifle once using the USPS. The older lady working the counter asked what it was and knew it could be legally sent to me.

Probably depends on the person behind the desk. You can ship by UPS or Fedex here and no one cares. I vaguely recall something about handguns needing to ship next day air?

Not sure about USPS.

i said screw it and am just going to fly with it. Changed my flights to make it possible.

Piece of cake this way.

Back
Top Bottom