Shield holster advise

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
Hey guys I am not a new firearm owner but I am new to carry. I recently picked up a Shield and the kydex holster I have isn't that comfortable. It digs in and has no shield for the body and could feel it digging into my side. I was thinking of a crossbreed because it seems the leather would shield from that. Any advise would be good.

What kind of holster? Cheap holsters just suck, if its a quality holster you may get it to work for you, see below

Do you have a proper gun belt? A stuff belt made for carrying a gun will support even a cheap holster well, while a standard flimsy belt wont properly support even the best made holster.

Where on your body are you wearing it? Most prefer strong side, just behind the hip, 4 o'clock. Appendix carry works better for others, 2-3 o'clock. Experiment with different positions.

Are you wearing a shirt under the holster? Obviously acts as a liner between skin and holster. You could also try adding some moleskin (found at CVS/Walgreens)

If that fails, then try another holster. Like guns, a particular holster may be great for one person, but may not work at all for another.

I was looking at the mini tuck. And yes I've tried a couple different places to orient it but it doesn't have adjustable can't. And I hate wearing undershirts so the whole too half if the slide just rubs on me. I was liking the crossbreed because the leather shielding. My belt is pretty ridgid to. Thanks for the advice.

You can raise/lower the individual belt clips on the mini tuck to adjust the cant.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

th

Check out the ac1 from sentinel holsters. He uses a thin kydex . It feels like you are just wearing a gun with no holster. Personally I don't see the need for the extra support provided by the crossbreed style holsters when you CCW small frame guns. The crossbreed style shines with full size, heavier guns by displacing the weight. Just my 2 cents........

Personally I don't see the need for the extra support provided by the crossbreed style holsters when you CCW small frame guns. The crossbreed style shines with full size, heavier guns by displacing the weight. Just my 2 cents........

I agree, I like my comp-tac infidel over the crossbreed

I love my remora - it's really comfortable and you can't beat the price.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

I use an Old Faithful leather/kydex hybrid then wanted something smaller and got a kydex holster from PJ Holster, all IWB.
I was surprised that the Old Fauthful was more comfortable but the PJ is great too.

I know it's a Shield, but it's similar to my XDs in size. I got the White Hat holster and I love it. It's a bit big for a subcompact so I trimmed the bottom of the horsehide and I forget I'm wearing it.

N82 professional!!! Love mine, I forget I have it on.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus 1

I have this exact holster for a Shield. It is tuckable, has adjustable cant, and has a very soft sweat shield. http://n82tactical.com /n82store/?page_id=2995

If this holster is something you would like to see first hand, I'm located very close to you. we can arrange something. PM sent.

If you are close to me I have the crossbreed and N82 tactical for the shield if you want to try them

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I love my basic N82. I've used it for about 3/4 of a year now and it's on a good 15 hrs a day. Basically you forget it's on. The backing is soft and there's no stitching ends that stick into you. It is a little harder to get a grip on your carry piece since there isn't a combat type cut out but all and all, I'm very happy with it it. I would definitely get another when this one wears out however long that takes.

Greg

Its a Tagua Gun Leather IWB I got one of these for my shield for like 25 bucks I think on amazon, it was to be temporary while I did some research and decide which "expensive" holster I wanted. I've been in no rush to buy another this one does just fine wear it at 3:30
images

I just have a kydex holster nie but it doesn't adjust for can't and has no sweat shield so I feel the too half of the slide digging in like the safety and top of the sight. I may just go with the crossbreed or a knock off to see if I like that

I love my remora - it's really comfortable and you can't beat the price.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

Another vote for Remora holsters. For the money they can't be beat. No clip which reduces overall thickness, and they're ambidextrous. Looking at their website I had doubt until I tried one. Now I own several.

I was looking at the mini tuck. And yes I've tried a couple different places to orient it but it doesn't have adjustable can't. And I hate wearing undershirts so the whole too half if the slide just rubs on me. I was liking the crossbreed because the leather shielding. My belt is pretty ridgid to. Thanks for the advice.

A wife beater really helps with that digging feeling as well as keeping your outer shirt down over the handle. Might be something to consider. No holster j own is comfortable with out one, with one I forget even a full size 220 is there, YMMV.

I just received my Milt Sparks VMIIH for the shield (ordered 3 months ago) and wore it for the first time yesterday. Extremely comfortable. And based on wearing the same holster for other guns during Summers w/o a shirt under it, I expect it to be fine with or without a wife beater to protect your skin.

Of course most here won't spend the money for such a great holster, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Another vote for Remora holsters. For the money they can't be beat. No clip which reduces overall thickness, and they're ambidextrous. Looking at their website I had doubt until I tried one. Now I own several.

Agreed...for the money they are great, and they do work, especially for smaller lighter guns. Have one for my p238 and it basically doubles as a pocket holster

I just have a kydex holster nie but it doesn't adjust for can't and has no sweat shield so I feel the too half of the slide digging in like the safety and top of the sight. I may just go with the crossbreed or a knock off to see if I like that
Check out Aliengear holsters. Personally I prefer it over my crossbreed. $30, and you can buy additional shells for your other pistols for like $12.

Back
Top Bottom