• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield 9mm Initial Impressions

Earlier this week I was able to pickup the elusive M&P Shield 9mm. For months I've been reading reviews about how this little M&P is the new "King" of concealed carry. When I unpacked it from the box I immediately noticed that although it felt great in my rather large hands it had a cheap feel to it. Manipulating the slide made kind of gritty sound and the trigger....oh where to begin....

I figured I had just overhyped it reading all those glowing reviews. Range day would be when this little gun will shine. Well, today after work I headed to my local range ready to be impressed. Now to be fair the range only allows 12"x12" targets and shooting at the full length (50'). I know this is not the ideal distance to be putting a sub compact CCW through the paces, but it would have to do.

First shot, paper target still pristine. Second shot, nothing. Third shot, ok this is getting embarrassing. Fourth shot, FINALLY! Now I've been shooting regularly for 10+ years and consider myself to be fairly skilled, but what the hell just happened? I stopped, reevaluated my stance, concentrated on trigger pull, and put another 75 rounds down range. Although most of them landed on paper, there was no discernible grouping.

I left feeling a little defeated. How could this much coveted firearm make me feel like this was my first trip to the range? I was hoping to get by without having to get a trigger job, but it's not looking promising. How big is the difference when going from a Shield with a MA trigger to an Apex kit? Is the difference truly night and day? Will I leave the range without feeling like I just wasted $25 in ammo? Has anyone else had a similar experience with the stock trigger? I want to like the Shield, I really do, but right now I'm fairly unimpressed. Seems like stock it's a great gun for concealing, but you better hope the loud bang it makes scares the aggressor away, because putting lead on target seems difficult even during the most relaxed and controlled conditions.

Last edited:
IDK about the shield but with the other M&P's, the trigger kit makes an unbelievable difference, night and day

I just got my first M&P full size Nine. I could not believe any gun could have such a bad trigger. I had a trigger job done by Lou at Business End Customs in Peabody, and now I love the gun. I tried a shield at his shop to feel the trigger difference, and it really is Night and Day.

If you come down to AFS one time, try my shield .. and i think it will change your view.. the shields need a gunsmith work.. granted mine is the non MA version with lighter springs to start with.. but mine is a good idea of where your's could be.

I can shoot a bug's eye out with mine and it still has the mass trigger. Shoots like a bigger gun.

You had the oppisite feelings I have about the little pistol. The trigger is tough in those MA guns but not unmanagable. Out of the box I shot 25+ rounds of 9mm into a 3" hole at 7 yards. But, had Lou Biondo do the trigger anyway.

Earlier this week I was able to pickup the elusive M&P Shield 9mm. For months I've been reading reviews about how this little M&P is the new "King" of concealed carry. When I unpacked it from the box I immediately noticed that although it felt great in my rather large hands it had a cheap feel to it. Manipulating the slide made kind of gritty sound and the trigger....oh where to begin....

I figured I had just overhyped it reading all those glowing reviews. Range day would be when this little gun will shine. Well, today after work I headed to my local range ready to be impressed. Now to be fair the range only allows 12"x12" targets and shooting at the full length (50'). I know this is not the ideal distance to be putting a sub compact CCW through the paces, but it would have to do.

First shot, paper target still pristine. Second shot, nothing. Third shot, ok this is getting embarrassing. Fourth shot, FINALLY! Now I've been shooting regularly for 10+ years and consider myself to be fairly skilled, but what the hell just happened? I stopped, reevaluated my stance, concentrated on trigger pull, and put another 75 rounds down range. Although most of them landed on paper, there was no discernible grouping.

I left feeling a little defeated. How could this much coveted firearm make me feel like this was my first trip to the range? I was hoping to get by without having to get a trigger job, but it's not looking promising. How big is the difference when going from a Shield with a MA trigger to an Apex kit? Is the difference truly night and day? Will I leave the range without feeling like I just wasted $25 in ammo? Has anyone else had a similar experience with the stock trigger? I want to like the Shield, I really do, but right now I'm fairly unimpressed. Seems like stock it's a great gun for concealing, but you better hope the loud bang it makes scares the aggressor away, because putting lead on target seems difficult even during the most relaxed and controlled conditions.

My New Shield out of the box , i had same results. Moved target in to 20' still all over the place with Mass Trigger. I did have a little "left" pull with mass trigger, had Lou do some work on mine. Was a little better, closer groups on target. But , once me and a buddy installed the Apex carry trigger kit , the results were night and day. No more Gritty, stock pull. was nice and smooth, even the take up felt cleaner. Not been to the range in a while, due to ammo shortages, and price gouging on replacing when you can find ammo for it.

Apex was pretty easy install, but the rear sight can give you a problem if you don't use a good sturdy vise to hold slide while using punch to remove it. Not impossible, no heating or cooling involved in mine, but have heard horror stories.
Best of luck, it is a great CCW firearm, you will get used to it.

After a few forum searches I decided to bring my Shield to Lou at BEC. Everyone seems to have nothing but praise for Lou and his work. It seemed like the better option financially as an APEX kit runs $90+, I would need to buy another $25+ in tools (punch kit), and I would most likely completely destroy my rear sight in the process. Lou just made more sense and his prices seemed VERY reasonable. He had a completed one in the shop he let me test the trigger on. The trigger was unbelievably better. Can't wait to pick mine up.

Anyone have a Crossbreed Supertuck for their Shield? I just ordered one today. I haven't owned any of their products before, but they seem to have a great reputation.

Anyone have a Crossbreed Supertuck for their Shield? I just ordered one today. I haven't owned any of their products before, but they seem to have a great reputation.

I have a Supertuck for everything I carry, including a Shield. Excellent choice.

hate to say it but normal for that little m&p. had my 40 shield done over by Derr much better - the way it should have been from smith. i perfer to have the gun worked over then to just replace parts.

Don't even bother with shooting a MA compliant M&P until you either put an Apex kit into it or get a gunsmith to fix it.

At the S&W IDPA Indoor Nationals, one stage was a "pick-up" gun stage, with a 9mm Shield (free-state trigger). The distance was pretty close (maybe 7 yards tops):

image.axd

I'm not that good and I easily cleaned the stage with the Shield. I liked it. The white paint in the front site was missing -- I guess that's a common problem with Shields -- easily fixable, but embarrassing.

If you come down to AFS one time, try my shield .. and i think it will change your view.. the shields need a gunsmith work.. granted mine is the non MA version with lighter springs to start with.. but mine is a good idea of where your's could be.

I just reworked my MA-compliant Shield 9 with the regular state springs, recontoured the sear-to-striker contact area, recontoured the sear reset lobe, smoothed and polished all contact points. My 10lb 5oz trigger is now a smooth 5lbs 8oz with no grit and crisp letoff.

I just reworked my MA-compliant Shield 9 with the regular state springs, recontoured the sear-to-striker contact area, recontoured the sear reset lobe, smoothed and polished all contact points. My 10lb 5oz trigger is now a smooth 5lbs 8oz with no grit and crisp letoff.

Where did you order the free state springs from?

I called S&W and asked what was the difference between free state and MA. Looking at the parts list on their site, I noticed that the other M&Ps had different trigger bars as well. Anyway, I was told that the info I was looking for was proprietary .... ok then.

I shoot my Shield pretty well but not as well as some of my other subcompacts (XDS). My wife is dead on with it. Mine is a 40 and a non MA model so not sure how much that differs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Have several Crossbreeds but bought a Whitehat for my XDS. Check them out, similar to Crossbreed but with changable kydex and many color choices. Whitehat also does not charge extra for the combat cut. Come to think about they do custom engraving and logos so you/we could get NES models made.

http://www.whitehatholsters.com/Default.asp

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom