• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheriffs' in MA "DO" have the power

You paint with a broad brush. Barnstable County is different from most. They support local Police Departments with K9, BCI, and have a Sheriff that was one of the top Criminal investigators in the state when working for MSP.

They respond where needed, work traffic details, assist in accident investigation, They do NOT enforce Ch90 laws as it is not a statutory duty of a Sheriff.

This is a silly discussion; we should be concentrating on keeping our remaining civil rights intact. I think I'l channel my energy and write a letter to my representative instead of discussing this any further.

Knowledge of one is knowledge of all.
I'm not saying its illegal or unlawful--I'm saying basing arrests based solely on the collective knowledge doctrine, particualrly in cases where the other agency can legally make the arrest, is a PITA and bad practice.

- - - Updated - - -

You paint with a broad brush. Barnstable County is different from most. They support local Police Departments with K9, BCI, and have a Sheriff that was one of the top Criminal investigators in the state when working for MSP.

They respond where needed, work traffic details, assist in accident investigation, They do NOT enforce Ch90 laws as it is not a statutory duty of a Sheriff.

Plymouth County also has a good reputation. Other counties that shall remain nameless--not so much.

Back
Top Bottom