Set me up

jon

Alright.

I read through most of the threads I could fins on relaoding but can ayone point me towards a so you wnat to start reloading sort of reference.

Right now just looking to do .40 S&W but possibly .45 ACP in the future as well as some rifle rounds.

It has been reccomended to me that I get a simple cheap single stage to start and then bump to a good setup. So any tips?

Jon

Go ahead and buy the Dillon. You will have spent twice what you need to get yourself started, find out you hate it/don't have time/ space and now your stuck.

Go with a Lee Starter set, save a bunch of cash and spend it on supplies.YMMV

Go to www.dillonprecision.com and order your 550. Dont mess around with anything else because it will be a waste of money. You will be buying a Dillon eventually so you might as well buy it from the start.

+1 just setup the 550 at my house and starting loading .45 on it... Its a great machine and eliminates the need to upgrade in the future (as long as your serious about reloading) if not single stage and give it a try.

Go ahead and buy the Dillon. You will have spent twice what you need to get yourself started, find out you hate it/don't have time/ space and now your stuck.

Go with a Lee Starter set, save a bunch of cash and spend it on supplies.YMMV

+1
I have 4 Lee presses and am completely satisfied with their products.

Lee Challenger Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit with "Modern Reloading" Manual
Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 40 S&W, 10mm Auto
Frankford Arsenal Dial Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt
MTM 50-Round Universal Reloading Tray Compact (x2)
Total:$180.74

Why have four presses when you can just buy one and then change Die heads?

How much room do you think a 550 takes up? You could set one up in a closet......

I have 4 presses, because I have the room, and Lee presses are so inexpensive, I can get an entire TRUE (unlike the 550) progressive press for less money than just a caliber change-over for a dillon, though if I chose to do so, I could change the caliber on my Lee press for short money.

Progressive presses allow for much faster loading than do single-stage presses. With each throw of the handle, several operations take place at once.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the best equipment is based entirely on what you want to reload, and how much.

I got into reloading because I wanted to crank out .45ACP cheaper than I can buy it, as quickly as I could. I got a Dillon 650XL, and it does this very effectively. It doesn't take up a lot of space, it's very simple to use, requires very little prep, and I can crank out 1000 rounds in a few hours. The only downside was a big upfront investment - about $1000 for the press, dies and all the accessories (electric case feeder, case cleaner, etc). I shoot about 1000 rounds a month, so by my calculations the press will have paid for itself after 7 months.

If I had purchased a single stage press, I would have thrown it out after 2 days. But some people (might I say, 'old fashion') enjoy the art of reloading, and like to take their time with each step of the process. While this may work for some, especially if they're loading small amounts of unusual or highly percise rounds, it doesn't cut it for me. I'm doing this to save money, and my time is worth more than a single stage press would save.

TonyDedo,

I bet with the increase in ammo prices you will pay yourself off sooner, and save even more long term. Me myself, I don't have the space, nor the time to reload. Also, I haven't even the slightest clue on where I would get started in the first place. But hopefully one day, when I have a home I'll get into it. For now, i'll have my uncle reload for me [smile]

you can start on a small single stage. find out whether you like reloading and are comfortable with it. Lee makes inexpensive single stages. Then step up to a progressive like a Dillon or LEE.

I load on a Lee pro 1000, it works well and is cheap...in every sense of the word. but it makes good ammo and will run if set up correctly. Dillon are better machines by far but since I get so much crap about reloading on a Lee from my shooting buddies... I'm never going to buy a Dillon just to prove my point

Last edited:
I started out on a single stage Lee "Anniversary Kit" because "they" recommended starting with a single stage because it was the best way to learn reloading.

This is utter and complete bullshit.

Within 15 minutes, you'll get a pretty good grasp of the process - how each die works, what they're supposed to do, etc. Within 30 minutes, you'll be pissed off that you're loading on a single stage and you'll wish you got a progressive. In my opinion, with straight handgun cartridges, you can learn the process on a progressive press easier than you can a single stage.

I now have a Dillon 550 and a Hornady L-N-L progressive. You may end up with a Dillon, but the Hornady is a better machine. In addition, having personally dealt with both, I've found that Hornady's customer service is every bit as good as Dillon's.

Just for the record, I've since given away everything that came in the Anniversary Kit except the load manual.

If you buy a Hornady L-N-L Progressive AP press between now and the end of the year, Hornady will send you 1000 free bullets. In other words, spend $350 on a press and get about $230 worth of very good .40 cal bullets. If you later decide you don't like reloading, you'll be able to sell the press for close to what you paid.

Go progressive.

BTW, what do they put in Hornady bullets that cause people to believe that any of them are worth $230 a thousand? Are they delivered to your door by strippers or something? Seriously.

So what exactly makes a press progressive?

Jon

Jon, there are multiple stages to reloading. The first stage punches the old primer out of the brass, second stage reshapes the brass, third stage seats a new primer, then adds powder, inserts the bullet, etc, etc. Each different stage is completed with a different tool or die (for the most part).

With a single stage press, there is only one die in the press at a given time. That means if you're reloading 500 rounds of .40, you have to perform 500 operations (each with the pull of a slot-machine-like handle), change the die, perform 500 more operations on the same 500 pieces of brass, change the die, perform 500 more operations, etc, etc. With a progressive press, there are multiple stations in one machine, each with a different die already installed, and a rotating plate that moves the brass from station to station. Each time you pull the handle, all stations are activated at the same time.

So if you have to perform 5 functions to reload a case, in order to reload 500 cartridges, a single stage press would require 2500 actions (5 x 500). Plus you need to setup and break down between every step. A progressive only requires 500, and you only have to set it up once.

Furthermore, there are different types of progressive presses - the higher up you go, the more and more is automated. With some presses (I think the Dillon 550 falls into this category), you have to rotate the plate from station to station - with my 650, it rotates automatically ("self indexing" I believe is what they call it). That's one less manual step. With some presses, you have to feed the brass by hand - my press has an automatic case feeder. Again, the more you can automate, the faster you can go, the less fatigue you feel, and (this can be argued) the less room for error. With my 650, one hand feeds the bullets, the other pulls the handle - that's all I have to do.

you can start on a small single stage. find out whether you like reloading and are comfortable with it. Lee makes inexpensive single stages. Then step up to a progressive like a Dillon or LEE.

Not to pick on you, Supermoto, but from my perspective, I didn't get into reloading because I like to do it. And if I started loading with a single stage press, I would have quickly learned to disliked reloading, and would have either sold the press for a progressive, or given up entirely.

I should also say that I knew NOTHING about reloading when I started. I got a quick lesson from Ted at Northeast Trading, watched the video that came with my machine, and I was up and running in one afternoon. Within a week, I was 'comfortable.'

You can also take a free reloading clinic from Kittery Trading Post - they have one set (a beginner and intermediate class - I suggest both) scheduled for September.

+1 I started on a single stage used press for real short money in 1975. I loaded a lot on it when I shot PPC competition. I shot between 500 and 1000 rounds a week and learned a lot about reloading.

I now have 2 Dillon 550's side by side on the bench but I still have that RCBS JR and use it for load development.

Last edited:
I've had a Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax press, a Lee Pro 1000, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a Dillon 550. All bought used for about half what they get new.

The Lee didn't stay with me more than a year. I thought it was about the cheesiest thing I've ever used.
The Co-Ax is a great press, but I sold it on Ebay for enough $ to buy the 550 and the Rockchucker.

The Dillon will always be with me. Excellent product.
Everybody should have a Rockchucker. Probably the sturdiest single-stage made (and inexpensive!)

Go to your local gunshops and ask about used equipment. They might have some laying around.

Everybody should have a Rockchucker. Probably the sturdiest single-stage made (and inexpensive!)

I may sell mine and if I do I'll send jon a PM before posting it.

To specifically pick on Supermoto, I think he should go back to a single stage. He needs to spend more time loading, less time practicing.

To specifically pick on Supermoto, I think he should go back to a single stage. He needs to spend more time loading, less time practicing.

If you do, Please le me know.

BTW, what do they put in Hornady bullets that cause people to believe that any of them are worth $230 a thousand? Are they delivered to your door by strippers or something? Seriously.

If they are, that sucks, because I'm never home when the stuff gets delivered.

But you're right Steve, that whole promotion is just smoke and mirrors for the people getting into reloading who have no idea what components actually cost.
Even now, when everything is almost double what it was 2 or 3 years ago, my 12,000 38supers I just bought from montana gold were about $60/1000 delivered.
I guess that's the price I pay for receiving ammo from the guy in the blue outfit and the little white truck.
But if I do the math, I have $170 dollar bills left over, and I can see lots of strippers for that.

If anyone is paying $230 a thousand for bullet heads, they are defeating one of the main reasons to reload, to save money. (although i really don't think it works that way, i think you end up spending just as much, you just shoot like 4 times more than you would)

There is plenty of time to load and practice. I just don't show up for work

Go progressive.

Yeah, that "retail" price is way inflated to make the deal look better.

Still, even if you figure $80/1000 as the "real" value of the bullets, you're getting a well made, self-indexing, 5-station progressive press for under $300.

I'm going to have to agree with EddieCoyle on this one, it seems like a pretty sweet deal. Regardless of what those bullets are worth your getting them for free. Who knows, maybe those strippers you were hoping for will come included [wink]

I have a Lee Progressive 1000, Dillon 650 with bullet feeder, and a Dillon 1050.

The Lee is terrible and gave nothing but problems. you can't even fully adjust the amount of powder because the system is a poor design.

The 650 is an awesome machine esp. with the bullet feeder. I would recommend this press to anyone.

The 1050 is just insane. the learning curve is a bit longer but the press is just awesome. I wouldn't tecommend this to someone new to reloading.

save money now and buy a Dillon.

Back
Top Bottom